First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

A 286/16 setup I just got came with this VGA:

EGFqdKXl.jpg

An AHEAD VGA-102-1M , AVGA , V5000 card. SInce the setup came with a B/W monitor it was jumpered for one (left-most jumper on the jumper block at the upper-left part of the card, with the jumper ON even on a color monitor the picture was b/w) and it makes me wonder what the other jumpers do. I tried to find more info but I could not find anything useful.
Any ideas/clues? 😊
TIA!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 12, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a videocard like that ! It allows to run a 20 mhz 286 a lot faster than any other "common" videoadapters) Even Wolf 3d and the Spear of Destiny are playable on a 20-286 with that card...)

Reply 3 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems too slow in my 286/16 , using a WDC90C30 or 5429 is noticeable faster. Maybe it needs more than 256kb or vram.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 12, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have one of these cards, but I don't have drivers nor manuals for it and I never messed with the jumpers.

Does someone have the drivers or manuals for this video card?
If yes, could you please upload them in the VOGONS Driver Library?
Thank you very much.

Reply 5 of 12, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are the jumper settings that my card had when I got it and these give out a beautiful VGA. 😊

ahead.jpg
Filename
ahead.jpg
File size
754.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 12, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is my board with it's jumpers. I don't know if the jumpers came in those positions when the card was new.

I can see that the sf78 board has more chips on the left side than mine. Those chips, are they memory chips?

Attachments

• aheadGraphicalCard.jpg
    Filename
    aheadGraphicalCard.jpg
    File size
    1.14 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 12, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for the late post, yes mem chips (full set). You seem to be missing several so I'd try to swap the jumpers first and see if it comes alive and then populating the empty memory sockets if that helps.

Reply 9 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

peido's and my cards just have 256kb of vram, if all the sockets are populated then we get the max 1MB.
This vga isn't a fast one AFAIR so personally I didn't bother maxing it out - or even use it 🤣

Reply 11 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am bumping this thread because I found in a system the card's driver and utilities - there is some interesting stuff like cga/ega/hercules mode switchers
will also add them to vogons drivers - maybe some day we also find the jumper settings 🤣 🤣 🤣

Attachments

Reply 12 of 12, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2020-12-06, 16:49:

I am bumping this thread because I found in a system the card's driver and utilities - there is some interesting stuff like cga/ega/hercules mode switchers
will also add them to vogons drivers - maybe some day we also find the jumper settings 🤣 🤣 🤣

Nice find 😁
Thanks 😀