VOGONS

First post, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I decided to build a Super Socket 7 system for kicking around some old late 90's titles like Quake 2, etc. While waiting for a pair of motherboards I just bought (Soyo SY-5EMA+ and Asus P5A) to show up, I just dug up some old AGP cards I've been hanging onto for rainy day.

It looks like I have the following to choose from:

Matrox G450
Matrox G200
ATI Radion 7000 64MEG
2x GeForce MX440s

IMG-2615.JPG
Filename
IMG-2615.JPG
File size
1.97 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Given these choices, which would be the best bet for a half-decent SS7 gaming rig?

Cheers!

Reply 2 of 9, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Every card other than the G200 will be bottlenecked by the K6-2. It really is kind of a toss-up after this, my suggestion is to find the one that runs the most stable on this platform, as the early non-Intel AGP chipsets were quite troublesome.

Phil had a great comparison of different cards on his channel, you might want to check it out, it contains several parts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gipW4lcUHg&feature=youtu.be

Reply 3 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3dfx or Nvidia. Everything else don't have good support for K6-2 features.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 9, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elod wrote:

Geforce would be the most compatible.

Compatible with what? All those cards will work fine in most super 7 motherboards.

F2bnp wrote:

Every card other than the G200 will be bottlenecked by the K6-2. It really is kind of a toss-up after this, my suggestion is to find the one that runs the most stable on this platform, as the early non-Intel AGP chipsets were quite troublesome.

Phil had a great comparison of different cards on his channel, you might want to check it out, it contains several parts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gipW4lcUHg&feature=youtu.be

The G450 roughly equals a TNT2. A TNT2 is not bottlenecked by a K6-2. As for Phil's videos - while very well put together and entertaining to watch, his research and test methodology is sometimes superficial so I'd take some of the information with a grain of salt.

My first instinct would be to try either the G450 and the Radeon 7000, with the GF4 MX as a backup. The issue here is 3dnow support. Forceware drivers support 3dnow!, and so do ATi's catalyst 4.2 drivers (earlier drivers probably support 3dnow as well, but i haven't experimented with the). No idea about matrox drivers.

Another thing - the radeon 7000 is often a crippled radeon DDR with a 64 bit memory interface. It's usually really slow.

Part of the fun with retro hardware is figuring this sort of things out for yourself.

Reply 5 of 9, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually ended up buying a Matrox G400 Max...I’ve got a soft spot for Matrox and from what I read the G400 Max performs on par with the TNT2, so it should be more than sufficient for a SS7 build.

Reply 6 of 9, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For any K6-2 or K6-3 for that matter. I usually go for one of the following cards.

- Voodoo3-3500
- TNT2-Ultra
- MatroxG400-Max

If I go for TNT2 or G400-Max, then I usually pair them with a Voodoo2-SLI setup as that extra thing.

I even run G400 and TNT2-Pro on such a setup. They run fine enough as well.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 9, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To my recollection of days past, most people used 3dfx cards with their SS7 setup. I'd personally avoid the V3-3500, unless you got one with native VGA out. Using that TV switch box thing is a pain.

G400 Max (or TNT2) with V2-SLI also seems like a good era correct setup.

Reply 8 of 9, by aop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dexvx wrote:

To my recollection of days past, most people used 3dfx cards with their SS7 setup. I'd personally avoid the V3-3500, unless you got one with native VGA out. Using that TV switch box thing is a pain.

G400 Max (or TNT2) with V2-SLI also seems like a good era correct setup.

These work with Voodoo 3 3500:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-A-P-D-Male-to-VGA … Y8AAOSwe7BWznRJ

I bought one because only Voodoo 3 I managed to find for reasonable price was a V3 3500 without the octopus cable. You just have to use pliers on the adapter to shape it a bit and it fits and works just fine.

Reply 9 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say a TNT2 (or G450) might be bottlenecked by a K6-2 depending on the resolution. At 640x480 it will certainly be bottlenecked, at 1024x768 or higher probably not.
A Radeon 7000 is slow for the time it came out, but it should still be faster than any TNT2, Rage 128 or G4xx. Not hardware TnL, though.
Since Quake 2 is mentioned, hardware TnL would help here. (Also true for other OpenGL games and Direct3D >= 7 games.)
GF MX4* AGP might be slightly too new to run properly on a SS7 mainboard, but might work. The drivers are probably optimized for newer CPUs, though.

A GF2 MX should be a good choice, those should not be hard to get. Higher performance than TNT2/G4xx, hardware TnL, low power usage, older drivers than for GF4* can be used.