VOGONS

First post, by Tommaso.p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i have an old Olivetti m6 460 and i lost the software i used to modify all the bios settings and now i can't use the flloppy drive anymore because it's disabled by the bios itself. There's a way i can transfer cd rom drivers on tht machine without a floppy disk? maybe through serial or parallel port?. Thanks, and sorry for my english.

Reply 1 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I presume you want to transfer data to the hard drive?
Easiest way is to unplug the hard drive, plug it into another PC (as a master on the secondary IDE channel) and copy your files over.
PS: Maybe someone on here has the original Olivetti disk image(s).

Reply 3 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is this the original drive that the PC came with?
Have you tried pressing CTRL + ALT + U when the PC boots up? You should then be able to access the BIOS.

Reply 5 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tommaso.p wrote:

This pc is a prticular one, it doesn't have the bios configuration tool inside the bios, but in a hidden partition of the hdd as a normal program.

Try pressing CTRL + ALT + U when the PC boots up and see if you can access the BIOS.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, Some Olivetti Setup disks are mentioned here: http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=4:35324
I haven't tested them, though. Also, was the floppy enabled by default ?

If so, you could try to clear the CMOS by removing the battery or setting a jumper.
But be warned, this would likely reset the HDD configuration, too..

So in case the Olivetti hasn't installed the original hard disk,
you won't be able to boot again (except if these floppies work). 🙁

Edit; If you could hook up the Olivetti HDD to another PC,
you could *perhaps* re-install the setup partition there by booting the Olivetti floppies.
In theory, at least. The believe the Compaq floppies had such a feature.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//