VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I got Windows 3.11 working on VMWare, installing MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 on top of it, but it's so tiny, it's more of a chore to use it than an experience.
Considering that I can run Windows 3.11 just fine on my Celeron and 486 machines, I'm doing this emulation on my main computer for a completion and compatibility purpose, especially considering that those computers where I use it, don't have any AGP slots for graphic hardware acceleration.

Anyway, it looks like that on VMWare:
https://image.prntscr.com/image/5COl3ACISciypKb9QtVeqQ.png

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, It's been a while since I used VMWare (Player).. But I remember that Virtualbox had a scaling feature, at least.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 6, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd try on VirtualBox, but is there an option to import the VMware image as is, or I have to reinstall DOS and Windows from scratch??

Most important ones:

Reply 3 of 6, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 3.x supports resolutions up to 1600x1200 at 256 colours. That should be more than enough to make it bigger.
You'll probably have to run the setup.exe from DOS to change the resolution. And I'm not sure how well VMWare supports it but in DOSBox it's doable.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'd suggest running W3.11 in DOSBox, much more fun 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you not do view --> autosize --> stretch guest on your version of VMWare? I use VMWare Workstation but that seems like a feature you would expect in any version, it's certainly in virtualbox.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to get high res out of a win 3.1 VM, I've never tried. 3.x is picky enough about that in real installations.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 6 of 6, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, the stretch and size options in the autosize menu are greyed out, by the way I sorted it out, it kinda works if I put VMWare in full screen mode, it stretches it on my 4K monitor, although part of the virtual desktop is cropped.

Dominus wrote:

I'd suggest running W3.11 in DOSBox, much more fun 😉

Indeed

Most important ones: