VOGONS

First post, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi folks.

Just wondering if someone can tell me if they can get this sound card and this game working together. No matter what I do I can't get anything working.

If I use my Vortex2 to emulate SB it actually does work, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 8, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah should have given more details.

Works fine with everything else except fate of atlantis (and having just now tested it the Last Crusade).

On Win98SE
1.4 Tualatin
Gigabyte GA 6VTXE
Ti 4200.

Reply 3 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Disable your cpu cache. This game is speed sensitive and the sound will malfunction at speed above about a 486. I've tested the Audician with this game under DOS 6.22 on a 486 and a Pentium with caches disabled and it sounds great. On the Pentium with caches enabled, sounds are jacked up.

Here's a good page for your reference:
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_C … sensitive_games

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 8, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I actually had to use the dipswitches on my motherboard to get it down to 800mhz. I would imagine that's still too fast though. I don't think I can disable my cache on this board, at least via the bios.

Reply 5 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a utility called SETMUL that lets you disable cache via software. On a P3 you can only usefully disable L1, but it should help you. You can set a batch file for your game that disables L1 when you start the game, and enables it when you exit the game. Here's where you can find it: SetMul - Multiplier control for VIA C3 / AMD K6+7+8 Mobile / Cyrix 5x86

Reply 6 of 8, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright some progress thanks for that program.

The game now sort of works.

Using that program it slow my PC to a CRAWL but with general midi and voices the game works properly!

Using opl though the game for some reason is way way way too slow. Like a frame every 10 seconds slow. I don't think my cpu supports adjusting the multiplier there at all does it?

EDIT:

It works it pure DOS, hooray!

My only issue is the voice audio is REALLY scratchy and low quality, which sucks a bit.

Last edited by sketchus on 2017-11-20, 19:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check the link in my signature "Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled". There is a Google spreadsheet with results from various systems. Pentium II and III tend to slow down almost too much when you disable L1, and it sounds like that's what you're experiencing. Unfortunately, you're sort of limited. Pentium MMX and K6 CPUs are much more flexible with Setmul (more options work with those cpus). You could also try some of the other slowdown softwares like MOSLO. I don't use them, so I can't help you with links. I'm sure Google will help you. 😀 Good luck!

Reply 8 of 8, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a ton! Using it in pure DOS ended up working and it's now playable. The music quality is perfect, whereas the voices are pretty bad (moreso than you'd expect), something's definitely not right, but it's playable for sure.

Another edit!

Changing my IRQ to 7 worked, the game sounds perfect now!

Thank you!