VOGONS

First post, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the longest time, I have wanted to play the old games I used to be able to play back when I had a 486DX. I made a thread about this at an earlier period of time, but I guess I wasn't exactly crystal clear on why I wanted to emulate Windows 95. I'm planning on purchasing the OS CD's and installing it in my machine, but I am unsure which virtual software to use, and how to emulate Sound Blaster 16 on there, and possibly emulate 3D acceleration, though 3D acceleration in a virtual box is not on the top of my priority list, since those Windows games I'm looking to play did not really require that. Amazing how GOG was able to allow me to play System Shock 2, and how Dosbox can virtually play any DOS game that I please, but there are several games that I acknowledge may require a few extra steps. I hope I was able to explain myself clearly, and any assistance on how to get this rolling would be appreciated!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-08-31, 21:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PCEm is probably your best bet right now, although it's not perfect and requires a powerful machine. Aladdin for example don't work, at least the version I tried.

There are tutorials out there but basically you select a target machine, choosing chipset, CPU, video and sound card, then add an emulated HD, a CD image (I don't remember right now if it allows real CDs) and from there it's just like if you're using a real machine.

Reply 2 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, The GOG ver of System Shock 2 uses the unofficial New Dark update which GOG had nothing to do with except for including it with the game and of course providing the game for legal download. So most of the thanks should go to the anonymous dev working on New Dark.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 4, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys! And yeah, I am aware of System Shock 2 being able to be played because of the developers, but what I admire about GOG is that they work with these modders/developers to incorporate their work into the GOG site such as the Fallout 3, since the fix is already done for you, which is amazing! I will check out PCemu.
One more thing; will these specs be good enough?

CPU: Core i7-7700
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Graphics card: Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB

Thank you both for helping me to try to get a start on this!

Reply 4 of 4, by fwfa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My PC specs follow;
I7-4770
8GBs Ram
HD7870
I am currently playing Longbow 2 using VooDoo 2 Graphics (3DFX) in PCEM Win95OSR2.5 with no problems...Loving It...
I had installed Win98SE but had some issues. I started over and followed a tutorial ..worked Great! Have Fun!

[edit: link deleted]

Last edited by Stiletto on 2017-12-25, 06:24. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: linked to warez