VOGONS

First post, by emperorsfist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HelloI'm trying to use this wrapper alongside The Chose: Well of Souls (or "Frater", if you're from Europe). It's the only thing that helps me turn off Vsync in this game, since it's one of two games that I've ran into (the other being Dungeon Siege) that ignores Nvidia driver settings when it comes to Vsync and Triple Buffering. Trouble is that when I use this wrapper, the ingame distance fog is missing. Here are some screenshots:

main 2017-11-23 17-49-03-89.jpg
Filename
main 2017-11-23 17-49-03-89.jpg
File size
207.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
main 2017-11-23 17-50-49-40.jpg
Filename
main 2017-11-23 17-50-49-40.jpg
File size
229.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Any help?

Reply 1 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 8/10 runs many game in fake fullscreen, the easiest workaround is DDrawCompat:
https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases
Not saying it shouldn't be fixed in dgVoodoo2, just informing you of another tool you might want to try for situations like these.

Reply 3 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
emperorsfist wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, but using DDrawCompat only gives me a black screen with sound playing in the background with The Chosen 🙁

Weird it worked for me and I tested it again now and it didn't. Then I closed Fraps and it did again. So maybe try closing any OSD applications/anything else using the GPU?

Reply 4 of 16, by emperorsfist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

THANK YOU! I forgot to turn off Fraps. That helped! Now it's working as intended! Thank you very much for helping me enjoy this admittedly forgettable Diablo clone! It still doesn't react to Nvidiainspector, but Vsync is off.

Reply 5 of 16, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't yet checked it out, but isn't it the usual z-fog/w-fog problem?
What if you try the game with the latest WIP with GeForce4 or ATI Radeon 8500 virtual card?
For those types dgVoodoo always forces w-fog.

Reply 7 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
emperorsfist wrote:

Umm, how do I do that? Sorry, but this is kinda new to me...

Run the exe in the dgVoodoo2 archive. Go to the DirectX tab and there should be a dropdown there with different graphic cards. I've already tried them though, but it doesn't hurt for you to verify since I can't remember for sure if I had compatibility mode enabled on the game (which is very relevant, needs to be same as the dgvoodoocpl exe).

Reply 9 of 16, by emperorsfist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I've tried myself. Neither the Gforce4, nor ATI setting works. Yep, the game looks good for on what it's built on! It has this issue with Vsync, however, where it locks the framerate to 30 fps when it dips below 60. One time you can play at 60 fps for a half hour, and suddenly it drops to 30 for, let's say, 30 seconds. No good for a Diablo game, especially when it causes the cursor to lag as well... That's why I want to work around it. The Ddraw wrapper helps, but introduces a lot of screen tearing. DgVoodoo solves the Vsync issue for me, keeps tearing away, but has this fog issue. It's like the game REFUSES to cooperate 😉

Last edited by emperorsfist on 2017-11-24, 09:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 16, by emperorsfist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
emperorsfist wrote:

Umm, how do I do that? Sorry, but this is kinda new to me...

Run the exe in the dgVoodoo2 archive. Go to the DirectX tab and there should be a dropdown there with different graphic cards. I've already tried them though, but it doesn't hurt for you to verify since I can't remember for sure if I had compatibility mode enabled on the game (which is very relevant, needs to be same as the dgvoodoocpl exe).

Thanks for the advice 😀

Reply 14 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
emperorsfist wrote:

Yeah, I've tried myself. Neither the Gforce4, nor ATI setting works. Yep, the game looks good for on what it's built on! It has this issue with Vsync, however, where it locks the framerate to 30 fps when it dips below 60. One time you can play at 60 fps for a half hour, and suddenly it drops to 30 for, let's say, 30 seconds. No good for a Diablo game, especially when it causes the cursor to lag as well... That's why I want to work around it. The Ddraw wrapper helps, but introduces a lot of screen tearing. DgVoodoo solves the Vsync issue for me, keeps tearing away, but has this fog issue. It's like the game REFUSES to cooperate 😉

Sure you don't want vsync + triple buffering? That's what gives you the results it sounds like you want (though I have no idea why using dgVoodoo2 would enable that). Newer Nvidia cards has it as an alternative in vsync options as "fast sync". Though I'm unsure how you would force it on an older card.

Reply 15 of 16, by emperorsfist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
emperorsfist wrote:

Sure you don't want vsync + triple buffering? That's what gives you the results it sounds like you want (though I have no idea why using dgVoodoo2 would enable that). Newer Nvidia cards has it as an alternative in vsync options as "fast sync". Though I'm unsure how you would force it on an older card.

I know about that. The thing is, the game ignores any Vsync-related settings in Nvidiainspector/Nvidia control panel. It also ignores D3DOverrider. So I can't force driver Vsync and/or Triple Buffering. The game also lacks a Vsync setting in it's options/registry/config files. It's built upon the same engine as Rebelmind's (the developer) other hack'n'slash arpg "Space Hack". That game also has framerate problems that dgVoodoo solves. If you've downloaded the game (The Chosen), try for yourself, you'll see. I'm not making anything up.

Reply 16 of 16, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

Wonder if it's the same issue as Evolva:
Re: dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

I'd like to try it but controls like mouse simply don't work for me with Evolva. (win10 CU)
Is there an additional patch or sg to do to resolve this problem?