VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I run the game with INDY256 m a but get no sound. Does this game require the sound card to be on IRQ7? My ES1868 is on IRQ5 and works with everything else I throw at it. I can not set it at IRQ7, it complains about BIOS or ICU having configured the card at IRQ5 regardless of ESSCFG switches. Any workarounds?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 5, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AdLib music and sound effects don't require any IRQ or DMA settings. Everything is handled via port I/O at ports 0x388 and 0x389, even on SoundBlaster compatible cards.

Maybe you are dealing with a speed-related issue here. Sending commands to the OPL chip on the AdLib card requires a short delay. If your CPU is too fast, the delay might be too short, so the data isn't recieved correctly by the OPL chip. Detecting the OPL chip also requires a specific delay, so that, too, could cause issues on fast systems. There are way too many games that will not play AdLib music on fast systems, but I honestly don't know if Last Crusade is one of them.

Reply 2 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
K1n9_Duk3 wrote:

There are way too many games that will not play AdLib music on fast systems, but I honestly don't know if Last Crusade is one of them.

You were right, it is listed on the Speed Sensitive Games wiki page:
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_C … sensitive_games

@appiah4: Try disabling caches.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, I never would have thought a P133 would have been too fast for this.. The updated INDY256.EXE file worked like a charm, many thanks.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Wow, I never would have thought a P133 would have been too fast for this.. The updated INDY256.EXE file worked like a charm, many thanks.

Awesome, glad the patch worked! Any game from 1990 or earlier has a decent chance to have issues on any Pentium. Some game devs seemed to know how to account for frame limiting in their games (id) while others didn't (Origin, Lucas Arts, Sierra).

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 16-color versions of Indy and the Last Crusade and Secret of Monkey Island are extremely speed-sensitive when they detect an Adlib card. If you run them on a 386DX40 or better, you will get a runtime error. They are not nearly as speed sensitive with other sound devices. Loom with copy protection also suffers from this issue, but the Loom released in the Classic Adventures Collection does not. I would suggest that the game was recompiled to get rid of the protection and added more forgiving Adlib detection and initialization code.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog