VOGONS

Ideal Voodoo 2 Cooling?

Topic actions

First post, by tskroz110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

Currently I’m working on a PIII build and I’m putting a Voodoo 2 SLI setup in it, but I’m concerned about them getting to hot. I would use a PCI slot fan but all of the slots are already taken up by other cards. Would screwing a fan to the side panel be just as effective or would I be better off attaching some heatsinks to the TMUs?

Reply 1 of 34, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tskroz110 wrote:

Hello!

Currently I’m working on a PIII build and I’m putting a Voodoo 2 SLI setup in it, but I’m concerned about them getting to hot. I would use a PCI slot fan but all of the slots are already taken up by other cards. Would screwing a fan to the side panel be just as effective or would I be better off attaching some heatsinks to the TMUs?

Well attaching heatsinks is good, and if you have a proper airflow into the case it should be enough.
Just remember to use a slight positive pressure in the case ventilation if possible.

Reply 4 of 34, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Phil's Computer Lab did a video on Voodoo2 cards, chip temperatures, and cooling. I watched it earlier today. What a weird coincidence.

I've considered using thermal epoxy to bond heatsinks onto all three of my cards (12 heatsinks in total), but I haven't had the nuts to do it as it would permanently cover up the chip's markings and those cool 3dfx logos on them.

If you have a side-mounted fan on your case, it's probably on an area that would blow straight down onto the cards. Phil showed that just having one nearby fan blowing cool room-temperature air (which your side-fan would provide) dropped the temperature roughly 20 degrees Celsius - WITHOUT a heatsink attached. That's impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ-HKkUOEww

Having said that, if you think your temps will be a problem even with the side-mounted case fan, then go with the heatsinks. It will even further cool the chips to the point where you'll never have to worry about them again. But I've been running SLI 12MB Voodoo2 cards in my case with NO side-fan (the case doesn't support one) and I haven't hit any kind of thermal issues yet (screen tearing, bad textures, missing pixels, dropped frames, etc.). It's really up to you. My situation and PC setup is probably different than yours. I only have a 600MHz Pentium III on a 100MHz FSB, so it's probably not enough power to get my cards cooking that hot. Anything I have faster already has vastly superior graphics cards, such as the Radeon 9550, GeForce 7800 GTX, GTX 480 SLI, or GTX 980ti.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 5 of 34, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

there is also some kind of cheap not epoxy but glue por sticky white paste that acts as heat transfer that is used on LEDs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CPU-GPU-Thermal-Sili … g-/141918232588

not a 2 compound mix like arctic silver

Reply 6 of 34, by Aglenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Chipset heatsinks works well 😀

------------------------------------------------
Pentium II 266 MHz
Diamond Voodoo Monster II 12 Mb
S3 trio 64v+ 2Mb
ESS AudioDrive 1868f
10Gb fireball HDD
256 Mb Ram
------------------------------------------------

Reply 7 of 34, by tskroz110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

In the end, I’m probably going to make use both since both options are pretty cheap. While I haven’t had any issues with my Voodoo 2s yet, I’m just making sure they last as long as possible. But when it comes to the heatsinks would taller be better?

Reply 8 of 34, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I once considered something like this, but the author charges for the model and I never sat down to create something similar.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 10 of 34, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
slivercr wrote:

I once considered something like this, but the author charges for the model and I never sat down to create something similar.

Actually not a bad idea. Looks like that one, and a couple of decent heatsinks made from copper, would do the cooling nice. Though... What when there is only one V2? Idea, idea.... A new entry to Vogons drivers. Free 3D printer files (or what's the name is) library or section. Community based/driven 3D printed solutions for retro computers.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11 of 34, by tskroz110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/10pcs-Lot-28mm-28x28x … t4AAOSwcB5ZLnev

Would these heatsinks do? They’re not copper though, for some reason I couldn’t any copper heatsinks that were big enough to cover the main chips. Also is it worth putting a heatsink on the DAC? I’ve seen some people put a heatsink on theirs.

Reply 12 of 34, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The aluminium metal doesn't concern me. It will conduct heat way just fine. What concerns me is the 3M tape on the bottom acting as a potential insulator. There's a reason people use thermal epoxy instead of tape on projects like these. The Epoxy is DESIGNED to channel heat just like thermal paste is. 3M tape is not.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 13 of 34, by tskroz110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FFXIhealer wrote:

The aluminium metal doesn't concern me. It will conduct heat way just fine. What concerns me is the 3M tape on the bottom acting as a potential insulator. There's a reason people use thermal epoxy instead of tape on projects like these. The Epoxy is DESIGNED to channel heat just like thermal paste is. 3M tape is not.

Would I just be able to remove 3M tape and replace it wih epoxy?

Reply 14 of 34, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably. There are ways to remove sticky crap. Razor blades, alcohol, Goo-b-gone, vinegar, yadda yadda.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 15 of 34, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

28x28x6mm heatsinks have a lot of cheap sources on eBay, and they fit on the Voodoo2 chips just right. There's some room to go a little taller than that, but I don't think it's necessary.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 18 of 34, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seeing how little airflow can make the temperature to drop by 20°C, I'm pretty sure the thermal performance isn't a huge deal here

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 19 of 34, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, sorry for necroposting
I'd like to put heatsink on my V2 (also the v1 to be honest), I bought a stock of 5 from China, they are 28x28x6 mm and they come with 3m tape ready to be used (https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB11p0oKFXXXXXfXX … XXq6xXFXXXp.jpg)
But i'm still unsure, should I use something taller (https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1xY77JQPoK1RjSZKbq6x1IXXao.jpg)? These are 28x28x20.
Should I use an heatsink on the ramdac too?