VOGONS

First post, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me.

I have a Voodoo 2 installed in my system, drivers installed without error and all seems well.. I can play Forsaken,Quake2 etc accelerated just fine however UT99 just falls back to the software renderer no matter what I do.

Anyone able to offer some pointers as to what may be happening here ?

Reply 3 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What version of UT99: original CD, GOG, etc? Check there are no conflicting .dlls in your \system sub-directory. Anything 3dfx*.dll or glide*.dll -- just move them out of that directory temporarily and try again.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 12, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update:

Its not just UT99, but also Deathtrap Dungeon that does not work.

I am not getting the 3dfx logo in any form in any game ether. Even in Forsaken which seems to be using Glide just fine. Tomb Raider(DOS) has the 3dfx logo show however and works.

I have tried reinstalling drivers, and have cleaned out the old drivers and also done the driver sweep in the 3dfx control panel.

Version of drivers are the last reference drivers. Am getting a version mismatch error for FIXMEMMAP though in the driver sweep however.

Realy puzzled by this behaviour as it should work, but its not in some games but working in others.

Reply 5 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xs1nX wrote:
Update: […]
Show full quote

Update:

Its not just UT99, but also Deathtrap Dungeon that does not work.

I am not getting the 3dfx logo in any form in any game ether. Even in Forsaken which seems to be using Glide just fine. Tomb Raider(DOS) has the 3dfx logo show however and works.

I have tried reinstalling drivers, and have cleaned out the old drivers and also done the driver sweep in the 3dfx control panel.

Version of drivers are the last reference drivers. Am getting a version mismatch error for FIXMEMMAP though in the driver sweep however.

Realy puzzled by this behaviour as it should work, but its not in some games but working in others.

Dude, you have three people asking you questions to try an help diagnose and you didn't answer a single question in your reply. We can't help if we can't get relevant information from you.

Reply 6 of 12, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

What does the log say, first and foremost?

First error in Log says:

Cant find file for Package " GlideDrv"

clueless1 wrote:

What version of UT99: original CD, GOG, etc? Check there are no conflicting .dlls in your \system sub-directory. Anything 3dfx*.dll or glide*.dll -- just move them out of that directory temporarily and try again.

Version is GOG with the Glide Wrapper stuff removed. Have removed all 3dfx dll's outside of Windows folder using Driver sweep in voodoo control panel.

Davros wrote:

does it do the same on direct 3d
ps: whats the other 3d card

My other video card is a Matrox Millenium II

Reply 7 of 12, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I fixed the issue in the log with UT99, however performance is still really below what I think I should be getting with hardware rendering so despite the log now saying its using Glide I'm not so sure.

Reply 8 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xs1nX wrote:

I fixed the issue in the log with UT99, however performance is still really below what I think I should be getting with hardware rendering so despite the log now saying its using Glide I'm not so sure.

What did you do to fix the log?

You say you think you should be getting higher performance. What are the rest of your system specs?

Here's a great write-up on Voodoo2 processor scaling on single and SLI configs: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/voodoo-2-and … ng-project.html

Reply 10 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unreal will be slow on that system. Phil gets:
512x384: 26.64 fps
640x480: 25.46 fps
800x600: 23.71 fps

on a P233MMX at 233Mhz. You should be getting 27-30 fps at 266Mhz. Test it, if that's about where your benchmark results are, then you're in normal range.

Good luck!

Reply 11 of 12, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
Unreal will be slow on that system. Phil gets: 512x384: 26.64 fps 640x480: 25.46 fps 800x600: 23.71 fps […]
Show full quote

on a P233MMX at 233Mhz. You should be getting 27-30 fps at 266Mhz. Test it, if that's about where your benchmark results are, then you're in normal range.

Good luck!

At 640x480 I'm getting average of 25fps, lowest of 9fps and highest of 52fps.

Reply 12 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xs1nX wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
Unreal will be slow on that system. Phil gets: 512x384: 26.64 fps 640x480: 25.46 fps 800x600: 23.71 fps […]
Show full quote

Good luck!

At 640x480 I'm getting average of 25fps, lowest of 9fps and highest of 52fps.

Sounds like everything is performing normally then. Awesome. 😀