VOGONS

First post, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just heard in ADG's latest video that it should be possible to run Earthsiege 2 in Windows 3.11.

After a lot of warnings of wrong OS, missing DirectX etc. I was able to install the game successfully, but as soon as I try to run it it complains about not having enough virtual memory and needing a larger swapfile.

Is this something that can be set in Win 3.11? Or is there another workaround? I already have the drive Win 3.11 is on mounted with -freesize 1024.

Reply 2 of 6, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! Found the setting.

Increasing the temporary swapfile size did not fix the issue with ES2 and Windows does not let me set a permanent swapfile (not enough contiguous space on C). Do you have a bit more info on how I should set this up for Win 3.11 under DOSBox?

Reply 3 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Have you tried changing memsize? Not only increasing, try memsize=8 as well. Can seem counterintuitive to have less RAM, but virtual memory requirement might be proportional to physical memory.

The contiguity check in Win3 for a "permanent" swap file might need an hdd image, but not sure about that.

It appears that Neville contributed screenshots to MobyGames of ES2 running on Win3, and perhaps can describe what is necessary.

Searches turn up quite a bit of information about running 32-bit ES2 on modern Windows, but I suppose it'd be challenging in a different way; with compatibility modes, ACT tweaks, and maybe dgVoodoo if on Win10.

Reply 5 of 6, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Have you tried changing memsize?

I tried several memsizes, no luck so far. I'm also not sure if the underlying problem is actually the swapfile as reported by the game, it *should* auto-expand by default and I've set it to a larger size (but then again, that might also not actually be working as expected). Let's see if Neville checks in, I'll send a PM later on.

mrau wrote:

just do a disk defrag?

Is that possible / safe / sensible to do on a DOSBox-mounted folder? Ripsaw's comment that it might require an image file might also be the issue?