VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I have a Windows 98 machine that works perfectly, except that I cannot get the joystick to be recognized in MS-DOS mode.

The joystick DOES work in Windows, but not in DOS. Every game that I start in DOS mode simply does not detect that there is a joystick present.

Also, the sound works perfectly in DOS.

I have attached a text document with my autoexec.bat and config.sys settings that I use when I go into MS-DOS mode from Windows. My regular config.sys and autoexec.bat files are blank on startup into Windows 98.
I added the "J200" to the SET BLASTER line in hopes that that was the problem, but it does not do anything. It acts the same way without "J200".

None of the DOS sound setup programs seem to mention the joystick being enabled or disabled.

Any help would be appreciated as this computer is so close to being my perfect DOS machine. Everyone seems to be telling me that "it should just work", but it doesn't.

Specs:
Windows 98 SE
Intel SE440BX2 motherboard
512mb RAM
3DFX Voodoo5 5500 AGP video card.
Sound Blaster AWE 64 value.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Filename
    autoconfig.txt
    File size
    1.6 KiB
    Downloads
    85 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 10, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some Joysticks will not work in Dos mode. I have a Logitech one that also comes with a gameport to USB adaptor, works in windows, not dos.
Also I have a Microsoft Sidewinder that doesn't work in Dos mode.
Try an older joystick if You have one, something like a CH Flightstick Pro.
You don't need to add J200 as I think that is a default setting.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 2 of 10, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What joystick are you using? It matters (as Imperious pointed out).

What does CTPNP.CFG have in the joystick section? A simpler question might be - what does CTCM report upon execution? Successfully configured 3 of 3 devices?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 3 of 10, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using an old Gravis Gamepad Pro and some other no-name old-school gamepad. I bought both of this controllers in the mid to late 1990s, so they should work. I know they worked 20 years ago on my original Windows 98 computer in DOS mode.

CTCM is saying that it successfully configured 2 of 3 devises. That is probably the issue. How do I fix that?

CTPNP says:

[SB16]
Csn=1
LogDev=0
CardId=CTL00E4
Serial=0F747583
Port0=220
Port1=330
Port2=388
Irq0=5
Dma0=1
Dma1=5

[PNP]
Readport=277

[AWE]
CardId=CTL00E4
Serial=0F747583
Csn=1
LogDev=2
Port0=620
Port1=A20
Port2=E20

My autoexec.bat says:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6 J200
@ECHO OFF
GoTo EMC
:EMC
:XMC
:CMC
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL
:EM
:XM
:CM
LH C:\DRIVERS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2
:E
😦
:C
IF EXIST C:\WINDOWS\DOSSTART.BAT CALL C:\WINDOWS\DOSSTART.BAT
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
SET MIDI=SYNTH:2 MAP:G MODE:0
C:\ctcm\ctcm.exe
C:\SB16\aweutil.com /s
C:\SB16\mixerset.exe /p /q
REM
REM The following lines have been created by Windows. Do not modify them.
REM
C:
CD C:\
CALL C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM /WX

Thanks.

Reply 4 of 10, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have a CTPNP.CFG in both C:\CTCM and C:\Windows? If Windows configured everything properly and your joystick is working, it is possible it wrote a matching CTPNP.CFG file (with joystick configuration) to the Windows directory. That being the case, you could steal that one and put it in CTCM or pull the SET CTCM line from your autoexec.bat.

Otherwise, you can run CTCU (provided it is patched to ignore the fact it is running under the DOS of a Windows installation) and make sure the joystick port is enabled. It will write out a new CTPNP.CFG file to use for DOS.

As for the Gravis Gamepad Pro - unless your game supports GrIP mode, make sure it is switched over to the PC gamepad mode (or whatever it is called).

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 5 of 10, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK. I got it to work. Basically, I replaced the standard CTCM and CTCU files with the modified ones that remove the DOS 6.22 version check. All 3 devices are now configured correctly and the joystick works in DOS.

Also, I tried copying CTPNP.cfg from the /windows directory into the /CTCM directory, but this messed up the music, which sounded like screeching and clicks. I then removed the CTPNP.cfg from the /CTCM directory and all is well.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Reply 6 of 10, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh good! Sorry you had to go through that.

Reply 7 of 10, by NovaFiddler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tegrady wrote on 2017-11-27, 14:46:

OK. I got it to work. Basically, I replaced the standard CTCM and CTCU files with the modified ones that remove the DOS 6.22 version check. All 3 devices are now configured correctly and the joystick works in DOS.

Also, I tried copying CTPNP.cfg from the /windows directory into the /CTCM directory, but this messed up the music, which sounded like screeching and clicks. I then removed the CTPNP.cfg from the /CTCM directory and all is well.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

WHERE DID YOU GET THE MODIFIED CTCM/CTCU o_0 ? Setver does not work for my CTCM or CTCU in DOS 7.1. The only way I could get around it was loading CTCM in the config.sys right after setver and everything works but my joypad(s) are never detected 🙁

Reply 9 of 10, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NovaFiddler wrote on 2020-07-05, 18:46:

WHERE DID YOU GET THE MODIFIED CTCM/CTCU o_0 ?

In case they are not on VOGONS drivers, you can get my modified copies:
https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ctpnp-dos7/

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys