VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't you think the problem is pretty obvious by now? Reinstall windows from scratch and then the right nusb33 driver for your OS language (english?). And finally install DX 8.0a.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 21 of 29, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing changes at all.
As soon as I install the VIA 4-in-1 AGP driver and then the nVidia Forceware 81.98 (or 56.64) driver and restart, I still cannot install DX 8.0a or 9.0c.
Games with a settings window such Tomb Raider III don't even list the graphics card even if it's fully working and recognized by the OS (I can set 32-bit true color and 1920x1080 resolution on the system just fine...)

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 22 of 29, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try installing dx8.1 first (make SURE it is win98se compatible version). Then agp driver and then Nvidia Driver.

Try a DIFFERENT downloaded version of dx8.1, agp driver and for example Nvidia 40 series driver. One of the things are giving you trouble, so change them all.

If the problem persists perhaps your motherboard is damaged but it could also be your memory, harddisk or psu.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 23 of 29, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just formatted and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 98SE to start from scratch again (what is this, the 8th format and reinstall in this week ???).
I haven't installed any driver AT ALL yet.
In the system properties, in the "Computer" section of the General tab, I read:

"Computer:
GenuineIntel
x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1
512,0 MB RAM"

ALTHOUGH I used to see:
"Computer:
GenuineIntel
Intel Pentium III(TM) Processor
511,0 MB RAM"

BEFORE formatting !!!

Why is that ? I noticed that this also happened after I installed the drivers on the latest installation before this one, I didn't see "Pentium III Processor" but "x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1" instead, so it MUST BE a driver issue for sure !!!

Most important ones:

Reply 24 of 29, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Chipset drivers not installed?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 25 of 29, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the latest I tried were the VIA 4-in-1 4.56

Most important ones:

Reply 26 of 29, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, I gave up for now, I'm moving the project on another PC with the ASUS A7A266 motherboard, slight slower CPU (1000 MHz instead of 1333), but the drivers work just fine, exact same GPU and different chipset (ALi instead of VIA).
I'm getting that PC cleaned up because it was dusty AF, and the cooler fan changed with another one (same fit, so it should stay on that nice heatsink) because it was too damn noisy (I hate loud and noisy computers, despite I grew up with computers that sounded like a Ferrari engine the whole time... I wish I could watercool all my retro computers)

Most important ones:

Reply 27 of 29, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EDIT: I tried the exact same card on the A7A266 PC, different chipset and thus different AGP drivers, but same results: with either the 56.x or the 81.98 drivers, I get 32-bit, gradients on titlebars, nView, fully working dual monitor, but it remains stuck at DirectX 6.1 and I can't upgrade it to DirectX 9.0c (which I swear was working on this card), no 3D game like Planet of Death, Star Wars POD Racer or Sim Theme Park work at all, pod racer gives me "no 3D hardware found" error!!!
So I can move back to the Pentium 3 which is better, but I haven't tracked down the problem yet.
I tried a Matrix G4500 and it works perfectly, but I can't still upgrade to DX 8.1 or 9.0c, that card has only 32MB of, memory... WELL I want the FX5500 to work as it used to, it's a driver issue, we must track that bug down once and for all.

Most important ones:

Reply 28 of 29, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This may be a shot in the dark, but is it possible that the reason why newer DirectX versions refuse to install is because you're trying to install the English version of DirectX on an Italian version of Windows 98? I remembered that most Windows components (such as Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player) can vary by language and may refuse to install on a Windows version that doesn't match the language that the update's designed for.

This was the closest I could find regarding an Italian version of DirectX 9.0c that still works on Windows 9x, maybe it'd be worth a shot to try it:
https://www.3dfxzone.it/programs/?objid=655

Do you have access to an English copy of Windows 98? If so, can you install it on the PC that's having these issues to see if it's language related?

Reply 29 of 29, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had these issues even with an English version of 98SE.
I think it's more driver related than anything else, I tried every single Forceware driver compatible with the FX5500 so far, I only need to try that DX version you linked and the 4x custom drivers someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

EDIT: As it turned out, not even your DirectX version worked, I can't install with neither the FX5500 card and its drivers (ON WHICH PREVIOUSLY I HAD FULLY WORKING DIRECTX 9.0c), nor with the Matrox G4500.

Most important ones: