VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, I need to install Dos 6.22 and Windows 98se on the same hard drive and I didnt know anything about boot managers before as I was/are looking into a removable hard drive caddie to have dos and windows on the same PC but what is the best and free boot manager to use for one hdd so I can install both dos and 98se using Fat16 and Fat32?

Reply 1 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Best boot manager for DOS/Win98SE is Win98SE. If you install it on top of an existing DOS installation, it will detect it and can present you with a menu to choose previous version of MS-DOS, at every boot.

There is a good chance that you don't need to install DOS 6.22 and Win98 SE. Most people who think they do are typically fine with just Win98SE, optionally not loading its GUI.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 17, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:

needs a partition, has problems with bigger HDD's...WHY?

Needs a partition is a plus for me because it doesn't mess with my MBR. It does not have problems with bigger HDDs, it just has to reside in the initial 528MB. It's simple. It works. And it can't be messed up by another OS's install.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11 of 17, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Absolutely the best, most minimalistic, most functional, and no fuss installation and user interface.
Dos installation.

http://old-dos.ru/index.php?page=files&mode=f … d=3375#download

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 12 of 17, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

System Commander 7 is pretty sweet... lets you boot multiple OS'es on one drive or multiple drives or whatever setup you want. Want to dual boot 95, 98, AND MS-DOS? Go ahead, you can do it.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 13 of 17, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

The BIG advantage of XFDISK is, that you can change it very simple from the OS itself, or from a dos-bootdisk. very handy.

When using GRUB, you don't even need any software. It will detect installed operating systems automatically and you can edit parameters directly from the boot menu.

Reply 15 of 17, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ive run System Commander (pretty much every version) since.. way back when. One of the first things I install on a new machine! Finding it might be hard, it does pop up on ebay from time to time. When I bought it back int he day it was downloads from their store with a reg key. so not many boxed copies show up.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 16 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

PLOP boot manager - you can't go wrong with it

It can be edited from within the boot manager, which is nice. Any comments on cloaking partitions with Plop? I've read of doing it, but I haven't had cause to test it myself.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 17, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BootIt NG
- Supports more than 4 primary
- Can cloak partitions(completely isolating the partition from mbr)
- password for boot entries(optional)
- if i recall it correctly will work every PC(starting with 80386)
- if screwed by other os install you can reactivate it with all the settings by booting from the install floppy and selecting the reactivate option.
- has built in partition manager(with non destructive resizing and sliding)
- has a GUI that resembles windows 9x style.
- Supports a lot of file systems.
And its sucessor BootIt BM works with UEFI and GPT too(but lacks the early cpu support i think,i bought the NG version back in the day)