VOGONS

First post, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know there are USB to PS/2 converters for mice. And that there are PS/2 to Serial converters for mice. What would happen if you plugged in (A PS/2 Compatible) USB mouse into a USB to PS/2 and plugged that into a PS/2 to serial adapter. Would that work at all?

Reply 1 of 2, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andreja6 wrote:

I know there are USB to PS/2 converters for mice. And that there are PS/2 to Serial converters for mice. What would happen if you plugged in (A PS/2 Compatible) USB mouse into a USB to PS/2 and plugged that into a PS/2 to serial adapter. Would that work at all?

I've tried this a couple times and it hasn't worked. The mouse has to be able to detect and use a serial adapter. Not all PS/2 mice can be adapted to serial. Presumably, few (if any) USB mice support being adapted all the way down to serial.

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/micePS2-c.html

I have an old Logitech Mouseman PS\2 ("Mouseport Version" CQ38) which works with a serial adapter. I actually had to find a 25pin serial to PS\2 adapter to hook it up to my IBM 5150, and it works flawlessly. The adapter ended up being Logitech brand as well, though I don't think that matters.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.