LPX Platform Search

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Perhaps you could be a little less condescending and insulting?

nope. you had your chance to actually sit and think before you typed, and you chose not to.

yawetaG wrote:

just because some people disagree with you on how hot LPX systems can get

some people? you mean you? and an a very sparse wikipedia entry?

yawetaG wrote:

you want to claim and prove that a riser board installed right in the middle of a low case with very nearby 3.5" and 5.25" bays and PSU does not restrict airflow at all, be my guest.

don't tempt me 🤣. I have two identical packard bell cases with the same cpu in them. The only difference is one is lpx and the other is atx. You going to sit there and pretend that the lpx pentium 1 will somehow be hotter? 🤣 , in your dreams

yawetaG wrote:

I suspect that some people who are in the business of designing optimized designs for cooling hardware will be very interested in your physics-defying results.

gee , can't figure out why I'm so condescending and insulting. maybe it might be when you type this kind of garbage to someone who knows lpx a lot better than you and your 5 minute wikipedia knowledge do.

yawetaG wrote:

Or perhaps you could point me at the mass of post-Pentium II LPX designs released for even hotter processors such as AMD Athlon and Intel P3 and P4? Clearly, those must exist, eh? WITH LINKS (my Google-fu finds nothing).

See , this just goes to show that you don't know a lot about the platform.

all of these are direct bolt in lpx boards that even fit the rear flat I/O standard for old packard bell and ibm cases. all of these boards are used in industrial machines , the kind of machines that hardly ever get turned off. And these are just a few examples of ones that have flat lying I/O there's plenty more that use much taller I/O standards.

f2qakw.jpg
5yhk6x.jpg
2vtr19j.jpg

an just for good measure heres one that's DUAL SOCKET 8, but no go ahead and continue telling someone that lpx couldn't support hotter cpu's even though this is literally the first time you've seen all 4 of these boards.

91ME5-1hZcL._SX355_.jpg

Reply 21 of 31, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

not that any of that matters

becuase i recommended a measly pentium 2 which needs less airflow than a child blowing out birthday candles. what a waste of my time trying to teach people stuff they can look up themselves. yeesh

Reply 22 of 31, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

emosun: Normally I try to avoid instigating your kind of irrational behavior, but after your last two posts did you go smile at yourself in the mirror because of how awesome you are?

Seriously, get a grip and try not take a difference of opinion so personally.

Reply 23 of 31, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FesterBlatz wrote:

emosun: Normally I refuse to stoop to the level of instigating your kind of irrational behavior, but after your last two posts did you go smile at yourself in the mirror because of how awesome you are?

ya know , I would have preferred he let it go. Because it takes time to type all that and he'll barely skim it anyway. In the grand scheme of things , so long as we aren't name calling or yelling , then it's just a heated discussion. 😒

Reply 24 of 31, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But that's the thing. YOU are not participating in a heated discussion. You're clearly taking it personal and by preferring he "let it go", it's obviously a competition for you to prove who's right and who's wrong.

If you re-read this thread, where did anyone ask what your opinion was? Since this is a public forum for people with like-minded interests to discuss interesting topics, obviously everyone is welcome to SHARE their opinions. But to lash out irrationally and pound your chest claiming you're right and he's wrong...that's not conducive to a constructive discussion.

My comments on the matter only cause to further derail this particular topic, so I'll refrain from posting any further to that effect.

Reply 25 of 31, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FesterBlatz wrote:

Since this is a public forum for people with like-minded interests to discuss interesting topics, obviously everyone is welcome to SHARE their opinions. But to lash out irrationally and pound your chest claiming you're right and he's wrong...that's not conducive to a constructive discussion.

You know I usually agree with that. Like nvidia vs ati or amd vs intel or raid 0 vs 1, there's no real correct answer at all. It's very much open to interpretation.

But saying a board overheats due to it's shape , just isn't correct. Especially in ye olde pentium 1 and 2 days. These boards were phased out because they needed two pcb's and it's cheaper to make one. Thats why AT and ATX were usually the dominant form factors , they're cheaper and easier to make.

but yeah we're so far off topic now its nuts 🤣

Reply 27 of 31, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote:
FesterBlatz wrote:

emosun: Normally I refuse to stoop to the level of instigating your kind of irrational behavior, but after your last two posts did you go smile at yourself in the mirror because of how awesome you are?

ya know , I would have preferred he let it go. Because it takes time to type all that and he'll barely skim it anyway. In the grand scheme of things , so long as we aren't name calling or yelling , then it's just a heated discussion. 😒

Excuse me? You started acting all high and mighty instead of just being civil, and now you accuse me of not letting it go? Festerblatz is entirely right about this, you made it personal - and keep making it personal.

Emosun, I had fun reading your informative posts in the past, before you chose a petty reason to go all high and mighty and start behaving like a total jerkass. Let's do this usenet style: *PLONK*.

Apologies to other posters, but...Christ. With some people it's like you aren't ever allowed to say something that might be wrong without them going ballistic. Perhaps instead I ought to have fired up my LPX system and tried to see whether I could not hear emosun's posts over the sound of that system's fans... 🤣

Reply 28 of 31, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Instead of apologizing, please either (or both) of you be the bigger forum member and just quit the argument.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 29 of 31, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have seen LPX on Packard Bell, NEC, HP, AST, Compaq, etc.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 30 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After a year I suspect he already found one or gave up...

I got hold of a NIB generic LPX case (had never even seen one of those before in the flesh) this spring, but it was something of a disappointment - the ISA riser on the IBM PS/1 board I wanted to use on it wasn't properly aligned with the back of the case, so all the cards were about 5mm too far in the case. Also even though it was unused, the plastic was cheap crap, 20 year old cheap brittle crap - the first time I opened the case, all but one of the mounting pins of the front panel broke off, just from the leverage of the opening case cover pushing a little bit against it.

So I'd not look for new tbh. I currently have an HP Vectra and a Compaq Deskpro with LPX internals. I might try swapping out the current guts with that old IBM board (and trash what is left of my generic LPX case :'( )

Reply 31 of 31, by Flakchak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't give up! 😀

I have spent way too much money in my pursuit of going down the LPX route. I've put together and refurbished a Packard Bell 386 and 486. I refurbished a Zenith Data Systems Pentium 90 desktop. I made a very big mistake and tried to refurbish a AST desktop. That didn't work out so well. But I did the same as you, and by the end of the summer, purchased a NIB generic LPX case. The case looks great, but it's still in the box and will probably stay there for the foreseeable future. I have to say, that over the past year, I've learned quite a bit, mostly thru trial and error.

The best thing that came out of this post I made over a year ago, was putting together the very first computer I ever had. Christmas of 1991, I received a Packard Bell 386SX Supreme. I was blown away that it actually popped up on ebay. So I bought that. And because it's case was beat up beyond repair, I purchased another PB 386 that I could scavenge parts from. Maxed out the memory, put in a math co-processor, added a SB Pro 2, and retrobrighted the facade. Changed out the 3.5 and 5.25 floppies that came with it. Then found a PB SVGA monitor, the same one that I had in 91. Also found a couple ps/2 mice, but still looking for a decent keyboard.

My computer interests are moving in a different direction. I should have taken a photo of all those parts I acquired before I packed them away.

Searching for a Packard Bell 15" CRT Monitor - 1511SL or 1512SL