VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XCOPY is great... except when you're dealing with larger games and smaller 720KB diskettes where you're not going to get everything you need in one XCOPY... leaving leftovers. I've been having to manually copy whatever leftover files on the next disk one at a time....

I've searched google.. and I've looked at COPY /? but I can't figure out for the life of me how to copy multiple SPECIFIC files at once -- WITHOUT combining them, mind you (as the [filename]+[filename] will do.

Reply 3 of 11, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

So you want something that will copy until the disk is full then ask you to insert the next disk etc?

Yup. Or at least be able to list multiple files that I want to copy in one line, so I don't have to retype copy and destination each time.

konc wrote:

You can always use something like norton commander to select + copy the specific files you want

I wouldn't have thought to use a separate program for copying files.

For now the workaround I've found is XCOPY with /P so that it will ask me Y/N for each individual file. This let's me hit N until I get to the last file that was copied, then spam Y. Sure I have to sit there and keep pressing N/Y but at least I don't have to type out the copy command and file names over and over.

Reply 5 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
infiniteclouds wrote:

I wouldn't have thought to use a separate program for copying files.

Then please do. File managers exist for exactly this reason: to make dealing with large collections of files easier.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 11, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

copy *.* c:\temp
copies all files in the current folder to c:\temp

xcopy c:\temp /e
copies all folders,sub folders and files in the current folder to c:\temp

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 9 of 11, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I say also i have been using Volkov Commander 4.0x for about 20 years for now. Latest is 4.05. And it has never failed me in any way.
It is my main shell in DOS. Usually i even launch all my games from there.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 10 of 11, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote:

I say also i have been using Volkov Commander 4.0x for about 20 years for now. Latest is 4.05. And it has never failed me in any way.
It is my main shell in DOS. Usually i even launch all my games from there.

Latest is something like 4.99 beta, it might even support long file names. However, for pure DOS, 4.05 is perfectly fine 😀