Topic actions

Reply 1020 of 2202, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
95DosBox wrote:

Vintage Computer Museum curator in the making. You got my vote! 🤑
Did you print those little cards out yourself? I wish I could read what it said.
Now you need to add some LED lighting at the top and bottom.

Yeah, I did. The cards contain technical specifications on the cards.

JoeCorrado wrote:

Wow, that is an impressive display! You have my vote for curator as well! Very impressive indeed!

Noticed your avatar pic - I'm a huge homeworld fan myself.

Reputator wrote:

This display is an absolute inspiration.

Thank you. A tiny home museum is what I'm going for. Hopefully when I move to a bigger house I can set aside more room for my "computer lab" where I can have all my machines set up in a row on long desks, and have many more display cases for hardware - retro, old, obsolete as well as newer stuff. Sadly, those plans are years away.

gdjacobs wrote:

I totally want to see KaneCVR running Blood or Shadow Warrior. In DOS. On some ridiculous rig with the beating heart of a V5-5500 rescued from the jaws of the smashers.

Getting close to fixing the thing 😀 - I got the ram chips a while ago, as well as a couple of new VSA-100 chips - now I just need to go get my IR re-balling station from storage and source a re-balling template for VSA-100 chips, some time (winter holidays maybe?) and some materials. Unfortunately my other V5 5500 (a working card) died as well, and so did a friend's card. One moment they were working, later - dead - black screen with red lines 🙁 - so I've got 3 cards to fix. What's puzzling is that the card worked great - re-finished homeworld and hw cataclysm on it. I let the PC sit for about 2 weeks, didn't even turn it on - then decided to play uprising 2 on and, but the video card was dead.

I had a friend help me reorganize the room (couldn't do it myself since I'm still not 100% recovered from the accident I had two months ago) and moved some stuff around. Right now the room's a mess - but I'm slowly cleaning and sorting stuff. I re-organized two of the display cases again:

GYZTgQXl.jpg
fb6Sp1Ol.jpg X1UKKfwl.jpg
4WcsKfXl.jpg
9zz0enUh.jpg

The white AT case contains my current DOS machine - a 400MHz K6-2+ running on a VIA VPX socket 7 mainboard (Lucky Star 5V-1A) that has an undocumented jumper setting allowing for a 7.15Mhz FSB. The case is identical to the case my first computer had - witch was a cyrix 586 - unfortunately I'm out of fast working socket 3 boards so I'm sticking with the K6 time machine setup for now. On top is my sister's first computer - an IBM PS/2 Valuepoint 486 DX4, and on top of that is a socket 478 3.2Ghz pentium 4 I'm putting together. So far it's got an FX 5900 ultra and 2GB of ram running on a Abit IC7 i875 board. Might swap the video card for a X800 Pro. The black tower to the left of the monitor is my winXP gaming rig - a Phenom II X6 1060T paired with a MSI R9 280x. It also serves as my bios editing and flashing rig, and for writing floppies and burning disks for my other rigs.

jhxt4GIh.jpg

The two towers to the right of the yellowed LCD are my win98se machine (1.4GHz Tualatin + Geforce 4 Ti 4600 + 2xVoodoo 2 12MB) and my late 80's / very early 90's dos machine, a 12MHz 286 with a 256k paradise ISA vga card and a sound blaster 2.0. They both share the SC55mk2 sitting under the voodoo 5 card. Behind the beige yellowed LCD monitor is / was my voodoo 5 5500 rig - an Athlon XP 3200+ (2333Mhz fsb 166Mhz version) running on top of a shuttle kt333 motherboard. It's been taken apart since my only working voodoo 5 card died.

S8aY5cHl.jpg iVNy3NLl.jpg

Behind the black widescreen LCD is my Athlon XP 3200+ period correct 2004 rig, installed in a rather common case sold here in romania at the time. It's nothing fancy, but it's of decent quality compared to other available offerings of that time. On top of that is my incomplete daily driver.

Reply 1021 of 2202, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This AT tower... https://i.imgur.com/9zz0enU.jpg

Could you provide more pictures of it please? I ordered a machine online and it's coming in the same one. Any more info about it would be appreciated. How is it?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1022 of 2202, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Bat cave and Batcomputers...

IMG_20160725_195438.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160725_195438.jpg
File size
2.01 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20160725_195935.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160725_195935.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license

Attachments

• IMG_20160725_200154.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20160725_200154.jpg
    File size
    1.86 MiB
    Views
    File license

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 1023 of 2202, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Call me an oddball, but this is how I do my computing, or PC gaming rather. Reclined in a leather chair with the PC hooked up along with my consoles to the same TV. I had Home Depot cut a board for me to fit the mouse and keyboard on my leather recliner.

Attachments

• Computing Area.jpg
    Filename
    Computing Area.jpg
    File size
    3.3 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1024 of 2202, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

For a second there I thought the computer in the back corner with the red lights was a microwave in this pic
https://i.imgur.com/S8aY5cH.jpg

Than I thought, why the heck would there be a microwave on top of a computer. 😕

Reply 1025 of 2202, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

This AT tower... https://i.imgur.com/9zz0enU.jpg

Could you provide more pictures of it please? I ordered a machine online and it's coming in the same one. Any more info about it would be appreciated. How is it?

The white one with the teal power button? My first PC had one exactly like it. I'll post some pics when I get the chance. Pretty solid case, but nothing special.

Jade Falcon wrote:

For a second there I thought the computer in the back corner with the red lights was a microwave in this pic
https://i.imgur.com/S8aY5cH.jpg

Than I thought, why the heck would there be a microwave on top of a computer. 😕

🤣 🤣 🤣

It's a white / gold Segotep TT Cube. I'm planning on painting the gold bits red to match the red interior.

The dust filters (metal grills) were also gold, but I spray painted them white. Can't find it online in my exact color scheme, but here's something close:

tt cube.jpg
Filename
tt cube.jpg
File size
33.09 KiB
Views
File license
tt2.jpg
Filename
tt2.jpg
File size
108.81 KiB
Views
File license

They also sell a white/blue, white/green and a white/red model - I wanted the white/red, but the only one in stock was the white / gold. I like these things alot - after removing the side panels, they open up like some OEM machines back in the day used to. I also have a black / red version of the same case. Best airflow of any mATX case I've ever used. They're also quite compact and funky looking. The black one is a fingerprint magnet though.

Reply 1026 of 2202, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mike wrote:

Call me an oddball, but this is how I do my computing, or PC gaming rather. Reclined in a leather chair with the PC hooked up along with my consoles to the same TV. I had Home Depot cut a board for me to fit the mouse and keyboard on my leather recliner.

Nahh... My best friend uses his PC this way. I used to for quite a while, until I was able to find a place with a spare room to setup my PC with a desk, etc.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 1027 of 2202, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Fusion wrote:

Nahh... My best friend uses his PC this way. I used to for quite a while, until I was able to find a place with a spare room to setup my PC with a desk, etc.

Needs to be more hardcore like I did.

MZ5HivJ.jpg

Or is that ghetto. Either way I wanted my old school machines working again so I stuck them in the wardrobe.

Reply 1029 of 2202, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just did some changes.

- Original XBOX w/250GB WD Blue PATA 7200RPM in place of PS2
- moved main machine to the right
- empty spot in bottom right corner, will be for upcoming 865PE Neo2-LSR machine - originally was the house of a E7600 C2D machine w/ 512MB RAM
- left the other 865PE machine alone

There is still more stuff left to do, like replacing the black case with something smaller (the current one in the picture doesn't fit under the desk!) and moving it in place of the white 865PE machine and possibly some new 2.1 speakers as these 2.0 Myria speakers have a short cable. I might replace the quad core with either a E7600 or a Xeon because I'm seriously getting fed up with the crap performance of the X4, not to mention it's always sitting in 50-60*C. Even the E7600 runs cooler than that.

Attachments

• resized.jpeg
    Filename
    resized.jpeg
    File size
    2.84 MiB
    Views
    File license

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 1030 of 2202, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New family members. 😀

SCSB55.png
Filename
SCSB55.png
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license

"I will take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it "My Screaming Chair". Every morning I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"

Reply 1031 of 2202, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TimMer1981 wrote:

New family members. 😀

SCSB55.png

Let me guess... SC-55 with GS standard only and SB-55 floppy unit? Nice!

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1032 of 2202, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:
TimMer1981 wrote:

New family members. 😀

SCSB55.png

Let me guess... SC-55 with GS standard only and SB-55 floppy unit? Nice!

Yep. 😀

"I will take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it "My Screaming Chair". Every morning I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"

Reply 1033 of 2202, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here my area after i finally cleaned it. Not done yet.

Attachments

• 20171112_184134.jpg
    Filename
    20171112_184134.jpg
    File size
    3.45 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1035 of 2202, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
Day https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/VghVvU.jpg […]
Show full quote

Day
VghVvU.jpg

and Night...
9ZOFXY.jpg

Very Sexy, but makes it hard to see inside your PC to "tweak" (AKA not leaving well enough alone)

Reply 1036 of 2202, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:
Day https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/VghVvU.jpg […]
Show full quote

Day
VghVvU.jpg

and Night...
9ZOFXY.jpg

You know, one of the things I really like about this setup is the leg room. Leg room is really underrated- I've often seen setups with computers under the table leaving no room for legs.

Reply 1038 of 2202, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Leg room is the top concern for me when it comes to any desk! I'm always confused every time I see someone showing a computer desk setup with a shelf or boxes or something that are exactly where your legs would go if you were sitting at that desk. 😜

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 1039 of 2202, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gered wrote:

Leg room is the top concern for me when it comes to any desk! I'm always confused every time I see someone showing a computer desk setup with a shelf or boxes or something that are exactly where your legs would go if you were sitting at that desk. 😜

For me a desk needs to be properly height adjustable. All my screens are height adjustable and / or sit on top of monitor stands. Ergonomics first. Even many businesses don’t understand this is important (all too often I see people working hours on just a table, with a low laptop screen... those people will regret that one day). Furthermore I want to have room to actually do things, so a full desk with all kinds of shit on it is a no go.