VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I vaguely remember downloading a non-playable DOS demo of Fatal Encounter from somewhere, possibly cd.textfiles.com or demu.org, which if memory serves was a small slide-show with either static screenshots and/or maybe some animation showing off the characters, plus some screens with narration (not sure about it though). However, when I tried to track it down now (apparently I deleted that file I had), I couldn't find any mention of such a demo at all.

Can anyone confirm that this demo exists? I admit that I might misremember and the programme in question was actually a demo of a different Street Fighter-esque DOS fighting game with hand-drawn characters, however I cannot imagine what game it could be either.

Out of the places that I checked as a possible source of that demo, I might have downloaded it from Theodor Lauppert's website (Wayback Machine snapshot) but it's no longer online and I cannot verify if the file there was not the full version from the Super Fighter Team website as the WM did not archive this file.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 1 of 5, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In case someone else is interested in this, I contacted the Super Fighter Team and Brandon Cobb told me that no non-playable demos of C&E existed, so I must have confused this with some other game, possibly Fatal Fury (?).

Reply 3 of 5, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought about it, but this demo is very different from what I remember, which IIRC had some character sprites on black background, maybe even a char selection table and/or upscale portraits, along with screenshots of different backgrounds. But then again, maybe my memory is playing tricks on me and that was a demo loop from the demo of Body Blows and I'm mixing those up.

Reply 4 of 5, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guess what, I found it again, at cd.textfiles.com: SUPERFIG.ZIP

It just loops the intro, the animated logo and character stats. I'm not sure if this was originally intended to be a demo or a ripped part from the full game (the intro is a separate EXE IIRC).

Reply 5 of 5, by DeathAdderSF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrFlibble wrote on 2020-05-03, 21:39:

a ripped part from the full game (the intro is a separate EXE IIRC).

That's exactly what it is. Someone just pulled the relevant files for the introduction sequence -- which is a standalone program -- from the full game.

Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!