VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3380 of 3949, by Waltc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lol2-D-GLide AccelerationOn.jpg
Filename
Lol2-D-GLide AccelerationOn.jpg
File size
178.47 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
ZellSF wrote:

Direct3D is Windows only. It is not available in the DOS version of Lands of Lore II at all.

It is available on the Windows version, which GoG does not provide, and it looks pretty much the same as the Glide renderer.

Thanks for the clarification...I didn't think I was going bonkers...😉 I knew my DOS version of the game had never supported D3d hardware acceleration. So Willow must have the Windows version--IIRC, he said he had the DOS version, which threw us off...Thanks again.

I finally coaxed the Glide wrapper ON, again, long enough to take a screen shot--here's the Hardware accelerated page when Glide is functioning long enough to grab it...😉

Reply 3381 of 3949, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Waltc wrote:
I'm not sure if you understand, quite yet, so I've included some screen shots. Main Menu shows you it is DOS 1.30--GOG version. […]
Show full quote
Lol2-C-D3dSoftwareOptions.jpg
Lol2-B-GLIDE selection.jpg
LoL2-A-Options.jpg
DXdiag.jpg
willow wrote:

I have 3d acceleration with glide and whith direct3d (bilinear filtering is ony available with 3d acceleration). Graphics are similar and it's normal because with the last patch of LoL, it's the standard comportment.

I'm not sure if you understand, quite yet, so I've included some screen shots. Main Menu shows you it is DOS 1.30--GOG version. Options Menu shows you what it looks like when GLIDE acceleration is not available--note that "Hardware acceleration" is grayed out. BiLinear filtering only shows up when Hardware acceleration is turned ON--in the absence of GLIDE acceleration, BiLinear is not available in my version of the game. THe "Video Controls" menu shows the full gamut of D3d options available--D3d software options, note. When Glide acceleration is enabled then all of these options are grayed out with the exception of bi-linear filtering which is then visible and selectable. Last is my D3d diag page to show you that D3d is enabled on my system. As I mentioned I also have D3d hardware accelerated games from that time which run accelerated fine.

Now, *if you and I have the same version* of the game then you are running the Glide emulation when the option for bilinear filtering shows up shows up. If we are not running the same version--somehow--then I'd like to know where to get a patch more recent than the 1.30 DOS version of the game....😉

Again, I'm of the opinion that this is caused by something Microsoft has done in these latest builds that is somehow interfering with both DG Voodoo2 and nGlide--because both wrappers functioned fine in earlier Win10x64 builds. If you'll read some of the earlier posts in the thread--this is what they are talking about. I was only hoping that someone could offer some advice. I can play the game all day long in D3d software mode--it just doesn't look near as nice as played hardware accelerated through the GLIDE wrapper.

I think you don't have understanded.
Did you think that I speak about direct3d with a dos version? It's very strange.

Direct3d version is not available with dos version but only win95 version. The last win95 version is 1.30 and include dos version.

When I speak about glide, it on dos version (win95 don't have glide) and about direct3d it's on win95 version. It's logicial because there is no d3d acceleration in dos version.

Reply 3382 of 3949, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have spoken about win95 version.

willow wrote:

Have you tried directx version?
LoL2 have a win95 directx version.

i have tried and it works with win10 fall update. Only CGI are jerky.

Last edited by willow on 2017-12-03, 08:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3384 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

Nightmare Creatures works perfectly. Resolution forcing works too, but the game natively supports high resolution anyway. Though you probably need dgVoodoo2 to make that work anyway (without dgVoodoo2 it only reports 0x0 as the only available resolution).

Question 1: can you use the default movement keys (I can't 😐 ) or rebind them somehow?
Question 2: can you use the the mouse somehow?

It's a brilliant game for.....20 years ago (!?!?!?!?)

Reply 3385 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
Question 1: can you use the default movement keys (I can't :| ) or rebind them somehow? Question 2: can you use the the mouse so […]
Show full quote
ZellSF wrote:

Nightmare Creatures works perfectly. Resolution forcing works too, but the game natively supports high resolution anyway. Though you probably need dgVoodoo2 to make that work anyway (without dgVoodoo2 it only reports 0x0 as the only available resolution).

Question 1: can you use the default movement keys (I can't 😐 ) or rebind them somehow?

Keyboard controls work fine, mouse does nothing.

Reply 3386 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:
lowenz wrote:
Question 1: can you use the default movement keys (I can't :| ) or rebind them somehow? Question 2: can you use the the mouse so […]
Show full quote
ZellSF wrote:

The keys I rebind in the menu work for me too.
But for the movement?

Reply 3387 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
lowenz wrote:

The keys I rebind in the menu work for me too.
But for the movement?

Arrow keys work fine for movement here.

willow wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

You can fix jerky CGI with some compatibility flags. I can never remember which though.

Do you know how modify compatibility flags?

Easy way is to just right click the exe, properties than compatibility and then run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 98... Unfortunately, that might introduce more problems, so if possible you want to install Application Compatibility Tools from the ADK: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows … -deployment-kit or Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.6 if you're on Windows 7: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/deta … ls.aspx?id=7352

Then you want to run Compatibility Administrator (32-bit), right click on "New Database(1) [Untitled_1]", rename it to something, then right click again "create new > application fix", fill in the three fields, click next two times, you'll find a list, you want to only check "Win98VersionLie", then next and finish. Now click "File > Save as", save the database somewhere, then click "File > Install".

I'm guessing the game starts on a code path intended for NT OSes if it doesn't detect 95/98 😖

Reply 3390 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gunners Heart, a SkyGunner inspired game works great with resolution forcing (minor text artifacts). By default it's a 640x480 only game.

g_heart 2017-12-05 19-23-47-60.jpg
Filename
g_heart 2017-12-05 19-23-47-60.jpg
File size
652.66 KiB
Views
File license

Myth: The Fallen Lords' 3DFX render works, some artifacts with resolution forcing. No widescreen, which is only available in the unofficial OpenGL renderer.

Myth_TFL 2017-12-05 20-29-07-25.jpg
Filename
Myth_TFL 2017-12-05 20-29-07-25.jpg
File size
282.38 KiB
Views
File license

Myth II: Soulblighter's Direct3D render also works great (on the latest unofficial patch, haven't tested unpatched), maybe a bit weird to use considering the game has updated Direct3D11 and OpenGL renders available, but neither of those has any sort of UI scaling.

Myth II 2017-12-05 20-36-55-89.jpg
Filename
Myth II 2017-12-05 20-36-55-89.jpg
File size
493.87 KiB
Views
File license

Recoil works with resolution forcing (usually limited to 1024x768) with both 3DFX and Direct3D renders. Screenshot is Direct3D.

Recoil_2017_12_06_19_49_25_191.jpg
Filename
Recoil_2017_12_06_19_49_25_191.jpg
File size
276.97 KiB
Views
File license

I said earlier Metal Fatigue still didn't work. That wasn't true, it has worked since 2.51. I just didn't retest with the ATI Radeon virtual GPU. It works with resolution forcing, but has some glitches in borders. It can probably be fixed by a post-processing shading (some Reshade shader that colors everything black + UI mask). Also the game seems to handle widescreen nicely despite not offering it in its options (I had to change 1600x1200 to 1280x720 in DirectXRendEng.dll). FMVs and menus are stretched, but gameplay is perfect.

MFatigue 2017-12-06 21-54-31-84.jpg
Filename
MFatigue 2017-12-06 21-54-31-84.jpg
File size
625.3 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 3391 of 3949, by AlphaPapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Chrome and Firefox think that the latest version 2.54 is a virus.

I am working on getting Episode I racer working but I just keep crashing at the first blue loading bar. Anybody have any tips?
I have tried with the fast video memory access checked which previous posts indicate. and toggled a few other items.
I have had it working with dxwnd before but would prefer Dgvoodoo2.
Thanks for the hard work you do Dege

EDITED for detail

Reply 3393 of 3949, by brad86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys.

I'm having an issue with dgVoodoo with Tomb Raider 2-5.
All games present some kind of texture noise a few ft in to the distance. Playing with the settings in both the games setups or dgVoodoo doesn't fix this. Even supersampling has no affect.
I'm trying to get a consistent, clean high resolution look with all Tomb Raiders, and this is the only thing getting in the way.
Tomb Raider 1 with TombAti has no such issue.

Images do not show the problem, so I captured a short 10 second video. Look at mansion bricks and path ahead and you can see what I'm talking about.

https://streamable.com/5mqa0

Reply 3395 of 3949, by brad86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

You don't have bilinear texture filtering enabled, that's why it's noisy.
But even with that enabled, it can be still noisy a bit in case of lacking texture mipmapping.

Bilinear filtering in dgVoodoo or Tomb Raider setup makes no difference from what I can see.

I really don't like filtering textures (blurring) anyway.
Is there no way I can resolve this?

Tomb Raider 1 with TombAti for instance looks fantastic with SSAA and no bilinear.

Reply 3396 of 3949, by AlphaPapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SW EP I Racer:
Thanks for the tip Dege. I was trying with the max amount (gtx 970). maybe a smaller amount. i think the requirement back in the day was 2mb!
Got it running on my xp machine with the smaller exe from lucas ftp dump(Episode 1 Racer - White Screen (LA FTP down)) and have tried with those cleanly installed files back on Win10 x64 but no luck. Is there a way to do logging that I can provide for you?

Reply 3397 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lode Runner 2 was apparently fixed between 2.53 and 2.54.

Mega Man Legends.. always worked? Why did I think this was broken? Supports resolution forcing too:

MEGAMAN 2017-12-08 21-45-21-24.jpg
Filename
MEGAMAN 2017-12-08 21-45-21-24.jpg
File size
311.85 KiB
Views
File license

Outwars works fine, but mouse cursor is broken in menus in any "emulated" modes. Maybe worth navigating the menus with keyboard for resolution forcing though, the game is limited to 640x480 so there's quite an improvement:

outwars 2017-12-09 22-15-11-13.jpg
Filename
outwars 2017-12-09 22-15-11-13.jpg
File size
442.94 KiB
Views
File license

Dark Vengeance works. Resolution forcing too (usually limited to 1600x1200 with bad UI scaling).

dv 2017-12-10 00-02-23-01.jpg
Filename
dv 2017-12-10 00-02-23-01.jpg
File size
220.57 KiB
Views
File license

Asghan: The Dragon Slayer's Direct3D render works fine too. I can't get the game to actually work well on Windows 10 at all though and wouldn't really recommend anyone try. Looks nice though:

_ST_DX3D 2017-12-10 01-23-47-52.jpg
Filename
_ST_DX3D 2017-12-10 01-23-47-52.jpg
File size
440.44 KiB
Views
File license

Typing of the Dead still shows just a black screen. Interesting log?:

Attachments

• Filename
    totd.LOG
    File size
    149.49 KiB
    Downloads
    77 downloads
    File license

Reply 3398 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Might and Magic IX works perfectly, maybe no surprise seeing as it's LithTech. Usually 800x600 only, changing resolution breaks the UI. Not with dgVoodoo2's resolution forcing, but poor texture filtering (forcing looks bad) means it's not going to look great anyway. Non-emulated modes didn't actually work for me, the window would just lose focus.

lithtech 2017-12-10 13-14-30-12.jpg
Filename
lithtech 2017-12-10 13-14-30-12.jpg
File size
556.37 KiB
Views
File license

Only mention of Ghost Recon here said it only gave a black screen. Not in the latest version and resolution forcing works fine too (game has bad UI scaling).

GhostRecon 2017-12-10 12-08-19-51.jpg
Filename
GhostRecon 2017-12-10 12-08-19-51.jpg
File size
621.92 KiB
Views
File license

Wizardry 8's Direct3D7 render works fine too. No advantages to running it in dgVoodoo2 though.