VOGONS

First post, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to build a time correct 1998 machine, but I'm ending up building a workstation. And I still want a machine that runs windows 98 SE. The workstation can do it, and I can multiboot, but I found my favorite case (InWin H500), that I could build another machine in. I'm worried this is some kind of sickness. 😀

Reply 2 of 22, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just two retro PC's, though started with one at first, five years ago. I do have about three different and very good options for every single part by now, however. 😀

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 22, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah.... Started by asking about 100% MS-Dos support on a SB-Live in 2013 or something.

Now my journey to the dark side, is nearly complete.
I have served the emperor Darth ISA and Sith Lord Darth VESA well. And my rewards are great.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 22, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I currently have 5 or 6 builds going.

The parts bins are very numerous.

I've also got almost 2x 4-drawer filing cabinets full of parts, a few bookshelves full, and random other parts laying around.

You think you have what you want for your builds and then comes the darkside of wanting to try everything you can as well as write reviews/do video reviews

😵

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 22, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All the time, still have to finish my PB with Thunderbird, My PII and P4 rigs. Oh and I still have to do something with the HP TC3100 server.
Thankfully the most expensive one (7920X and 1080ti SLI) is done, but I have way too many stuff laying around.
Low prices and my life situation made me seriously addicted to buying old high end hardware, can't help myself when I see parts like "x2" GPU's or "Extreme" CPU's...let alone old IBM hardware.

At least I don't hoard everything, parts that I have double get sold right away and broken stuff goes straight to the bin.

Last edited by martin939 on 2017-12-04, 17:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 22, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, welcome to Retromaniacs Anonymous 😢 you'll soon find yourself saving stuff from the scrapper, the roadside or liberating computers from dusty garages, so that they can collect dust in your garage 😉

Reply 8 of 22, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tend to think on occasion what my next build might be, but basically once one build is built, it's onto the next one nearly immediately.

I'm about to stop working primarily on IBM PCs in a bit. I have one more build to do, but unless opportunity strikes I plan to be working with either old Macintoshes or old Amigas (as opposed to new Amigas I guess.)

Reply 9 of 22, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:

old Amigas (as opposed to new Amigas I guess.)

That's were I am at the moment. Nearly completed the Dos/Win computer collection. And C64 as well...

C64's are not that expensive. Amiga's however.... Amiga computers are extremely expensive. They are like in the league of GUS or V5-6000 cards and soon-to-join-the-ranks, AWE64-Gold. The only ones still cheap enough are A500. If one is lucky. An A600 can be found cheap enough. Just don't count on getting an A3000 for cheap, not even to speak about an Commodore Amiga4000-Tower. They are like 200 ever produced.

Reply 10 of 22, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Ampera wrote:

That's were I am at the moment. Nearly completed the Dos/Win computer collection. And C64 as well...

C64's are not that expensive. Amiga's however.... Amiga computers are extremely expensive. They are like in the league of GUS or V5-6000 cards and soon-to-join-the-ranks, AWE64-Gold. The only ones still cheap enough are A500. If one is lucky. An A600 can be found cheap enough. Just don't count on getting an A3000 for cheap, not even to speak about an Commodore Amiga4000-Tower. They are like 200 ever produced.

Makes me glad I kept my A1500/2000. It's MASSIVE, can't help but love the thing though.

Reply 11 of 22, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really.
I have a really small range of hardware I deem really interesting and have this pretty much covered sans a few exceptions. There's of course a huge array of stuff that is vaguely interesting and for this I'd rather watch youtube vids or browse forums like these.

Reply 12 of 22, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As soon as my house is built, I'm going through my storage to cut down on my collection. I have MULTIPLE backup parts for each generation. It is an enthusiastic madness to collect.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 13 of 22, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Ampera wrote:

I have a C64 and C128, so Amgia seemed like the next logical step.

I really want to get into proper Macintoshes, and it may be where I go next. An A1000, A500, A600, A1200, or an A2000 are all withing my view for the moment.

Reply 15 of 22, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ampera wrote:
brostenen wrote:
Ampera wrote:

I have a C64 and C128, so Amgia seemed like the next logical step.

I really want to get into proper Macintoshes, and it may be where I go next. An A1000, A500, A600, A1200, or an A2000 are all withing my view for the moment.

After finding an amazing Commodore 64/VIC collection for dirt-cheap, I too have been eyeing Amiga hardware as i find them very interesting systems. However, due to the INSANE pricing of Amiga things, I might just *GASP* build a Raspberry Pi Amiga and be done with it.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 16 of 22, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bloodbath2you wrote:

What about making the "perfect build"?

my good ol' 486 is almost finished and i will keep it forever, nothing else. 😀

I try to make all my builds somewhat perfect for their time, but the issue arises when you make a build too perfect. Eventually you reach a point where it would have made more sense to upgrade to a newer technology. That's why I put my pin in the ground at one area, and try to add as many cool things into those builds as possible. There is only so much you can do to a build then to improve it.

After finding an amazing Commodore 64/VIC collection for dirt-cheap, I too have been eyeing Amiga hardware as i find them very interesting systems. However, due to the INSANE pricing of Amiga things, I might just *GASP* build a Raspberry Pi Amiga and be done with it.

That's why I am tempted to look into Macintoshes, as they have somewhat similar hardware at the core to Amigas. The same can be said about Atari STs (heck, they were even called Jackintoshes).

I don't think I want to continue on IBM compatibles forever, as there are only so many systems you can have before they start to blur together for a simple collector. Of course more machines are awesome, but it's a case of what do you do next? I have a DX4 machine, a Pentium Pro machine, and a P3 machine. my next build is based around the FX-55, and once you go past that you get into the territory of somewhat modern computers.

Reply 17 of 22, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dogchainx wrote:

True that.... Shure I can get an Amiga-1200 at any time for some 476 US Dollars, if I buy locally. Or an Amiga500 for some 190 US Dollars. Yet these prices are insane. And there are no point in asking for a hardware swap here, as people eighter sell only because they need the money despite being retro collectors. Or they are those who is not into retro/vintage computing at all, or they are the ones that have found a new hobby instead of computers. Or they are just die hard Amiga collectors, wanting only to sell in order to buy a more rare Amiga.

Anyway....
Yes, I would love to swap some hardware at some point in time, for more Amiga's, yet I have not even decided what to swap or if I want to swap at this time. And as I know I am getting an RaspberryPI-3 for xmas, then I will probably end up crafting some sort of gaming-console/Amiga-clone/Linux box out of the PI. Time will tell if I will do it. The thought of doing it is very much tempting.

Reply 19 of 22, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Multiple builds at once? How about like, all of them at once, I seem to have trouble wrapping up such projects as my endless curiosity for change and knowledge comes in the way. I am seriously working on my flaws and push really hard to plan ahead and get my shit together.

Maybe it is an indication that you've got some bugs in your brain's chipset when you see no problem hoarding all kinds of old stuff hipsters claim to hold "vintage value", and spend a good amount of your spare time just fiddleing with these things. How can anyone know - maybe we are the pinnacle of civilisation and the rest of the ape descendants among us are wrong.

I bought myself a Chromebook a couple of years ago, turns out that is the only system that gets left in peace. It's just too dull and limited to do anything else other than your daily web stuff. Best purchase ever.

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ