Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 1001 of 5847, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, I've been bitten by the FO4 bug again. I discovered a mod, scrap everything.

Its practically orgasmic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqzSmKYSImU

getting rid of those 8 ft tall bushes makes me feel SO GOOD.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1002 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:

To my eyes that looks epic! I haven't played anything recent since Skyrim a couple of years ago, what hardware are you playing FO4 on?

Yes it can look amazing this engine with a little effort - it looks pretty shite by default IMO. I'm playing on an i5-760 based system - it must be ~8 years old now which is amazing. 8GB RAM, GTX960, Windows 10.

I'm getting a very consistent 50FPS (I've forced the refresh rate to 50Hz). Nvidia have done one of those tweak guides which are great for fine tuning your settings: https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fall … -tweaking-guide

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1003 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am getting close to finishing Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. Currently in the Pirate's Cave on Manrek Island. This is one of the most unique, fun RPGs I've ever played, and I'm truly looking forward to ROA 2: Star Trail. What I really like about the game is the de-emphasis on XP for battles (thus de-emphasis on grinding). Most of your XP is earned by completing quests, and level 5 is about as high as your characters will get by the end of the game. The level ups are an event in themselves. Each time can take about 15 minutes just deciding how to distribute points between health and magic, as well as physical and magical skills. There's attachment and ownership of your characters like no other RPG. While I'm sad I never gave these games a chance when they were current, I'm stoked that I get to experience them today on a real DOS machine. DOS RPG perfection!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1004 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A long lost love of mine, FarCry 2, has come back into my life recently - and just at the right time too. When real life gets hard and complicated, FarCry 2 is there with simple, non-stop fun. I know some people didn’t dig on the constantly respawning checkpoints, the paper thin storyline, the malaria, the constant stream of fetch-quests, the superficial RPG elements – forget that stuff! The genius of this game is the mind blowing open world, thrilling gunplay, and wave after wave of cunning NPC’s who are trying to stop you getting from point A to point B.

The weapons are tactile and diverse enough to allow you to approach a situation as you see fit – stealth, sniper, all-guns-blazing. Fire is another weapon at your disposal – you can set stuff on fire! The fire spreads! Genius.

And did I mention the mind blowing open world? The different environments are done brilliantly – jungle, open savanna, desert. Animals call, the grass sways, trees thrash around in a thunderstorm. Plants collapse out of your way as you push through them, branches fall off trees when the bullets start to fly.

You have a body – feet, legs, arms, and you never leave the first person perspective so you're always immersed in the character, but at the same time you’re blessedly silent – you never say a word! The moronic utterings of the hero in FarCry 3 had me constantly searching for the “blow own brains out” button, but my guy in FC2 – I can’t even remember his name – he just gets on with it. Genius!

To mix things up a bit I’m playing with a couple of mods:

Dylans FC2 Mod 1.4
Realistic ReShade pack

The ReShade pack is obviously just a graphics mod – it strips back the brown filter and make the world a lot prettier and colourful. Dylans mod tweaks all sorts of things and is working for me so far – the NPCs are sassier and ammo is more plentiful. Up goes the fun factor. And just look at these damn graphics - genius:

farcry2_2017-10-20_22-47-50.jpg

farcry2_2017-10-21_08-40-26.jpg

farcry2_2017-10-21_15-24-43.jpg

farcry2_2017-10-21_15-28-44.jpg

farcry2_2017-10-22_07-55-44.jpg

farcry2_2017-10-22_19-39-39.jpg

farcry2_2017-10-22_19-55-22.jpg

Reply 1005 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just finished Realms of Arkania I: Blade of Destiny and transferred my party into II: Star Trail! Interface has changed a bit, so I'm just getting used to it. Also, GM is now supported in addition to MT-32. On my DreamBlaster X2 it sounds pretty incredible. As much as I loved the MT-32 on Blade of Destiny, I can't pass up GM on part two. 😀

Reply 1006 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I imported my party into Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail and walked around a bit admiring the GM music and updated graphics, but I need a break before diving into another long RPG. So I picked up where I left off on Strike Commander. Man, some of these missions are tough! It took close to 10 attempts to clear California 2, Mission 2, and I got close to giving up. Then I cleared California 2, Mission 3 on the first go. But now, the next mission: Germany, Mission 1, I've failed close to 10 times again. Definitely way harder than Wings of Glory, Pacific Strike and all but the Special Operations missions of Wing Commander I and II. Bordering on not fun. 😊

Reply 1007 of 5847, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Prince of Persia SNES, and No Man's Sky here. I know NMS is supposed to be flawed, but the early game is quite fun, although it does use a lot of keys.

Reply 1008 of 5847, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:
JidaiGeki wrote:

To my eyes that looks epic! I haven't played anything recent since Skyrim a couple of years ago, what hardware are you playing FO4 on?

Yes it can look amazing this engine with a little effort - it looks pretty shite by default IMO. I'm playing on an i5-760 based system - it must be ~8 years old now which is amazing. 8GB RAM, GTX960, Windows 10.

I'm getting a very consistent 50FPS (I've forced the refresh rate to 50Hz). Nvidia have done one of those tweak guides which are great for fine tuning your settings: https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fall … -tweaking-guide

I'm playing FO4 on my 'recent gaming' rig, with mods etc. - here's the specs of this build:

- i7 860@3.7ghz
- 4 GB DDR3 1333mhz
- GeForce GTX 480@stock 1.5gb DDR5
- Samsung SSD

- Fallout 4@Max video settings

And here's short videos of gameplay:

https://youtu.be/w-uYijJNkeQ

https://youtu.be/ZoKIBpomEDc

Time after the videos, I've just upgrade RAM to 4x2GB.

Not bad at all, considering the 'age' of this machine, and great game engine, really scalable.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 1009 of 5847, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lately I've been playing Spiderman (2000) on my XP gaming rig, It was one of the games I stumbled upon for only $2 at a thrift store a few years ago and since I needed to replace the graphics card recently I found an excuse to load some of my games back up just to see how stable the system is with the x800 card.

Compared to the Nintendo 64 version (which I also have), the PC port has much better graphics, Full-motion video cutscenes, and wonkier physics, so there are two pros and one con I've noticed.

EDIT: Now I've been reminded of the bug where it's impossible to successfully complete the "Grind The Girders" level where when Spiderman dies as soon as he lands onto the crate. This doesn't happen on the N64 version and according to online research, this (and a similar problem in the Chase Venom level) is a known bug in the PC version that Activision never bothered to release a patch to because the game based on the 2002 movie shortly came out afterwards, some say the game is speed-sensitive in a few spots and others say cheat codes really are the only way to get past this level.

Thankfully I have a few PIII era gaming laptops to use in these buggy areas just in case it really is speed sensitive. I'll be sure to transfer my save file back and fourth if I ever get past the buggy levels on my slower yet more period-correct machines.

Reply 1010 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just got to the finale series of missions in Strike Commander. About to steal an F-22 with the help of Janet. I think there are 3 missions in the finale, so depending on how hard these missions are, I may finish this puppy up this weekend. 😎

Reply 1011 of 5847, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After finishing Nier Automata on the ps4 I started playing the prequel on the 360... Both are REALLY excellent games and unique. Can't wait for the 3rd installment, maybe in 5-6 years 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1012 of 5847, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Playing Darwinia again after not having touched it in so long.

Actually streaming it live on Twitch as I play too.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1013 of 5847, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Replaying Super Mario Sunshine for the first time in 12 years or so. Got to 109 sprites out of 120 in just 2 days... now for the fun part, those damn blue coins

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1014 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm back into the Witcher 3, which I've been playing on-and-off since launch (same save). It's epicly long and I get distracted with other things, but the story is so well told that I remember where I'm up to despite months going by b/w sessions. A true classic I think:

The_Witcher_3_Screenshot_2017.11.18_-_17.23.00.44.jpg

Reply 1015 of 5847, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Witcher 3 looks gorgeous. For some reason, I have a prejudice against 3rd person over-the-shoulder-perspective games that I can't justify, so I've always avoided games like the Witcher and NWN. You know, now that I think hard on it, I believe know where this prejudice came from: Ultima IX. That game was so disappointing it soured me on that perspective forevermore. Sigh...

I had every intention of starting Legend of Grimrock II, but after getting my WinME rig set up I started playing RtCW and am enjoying it far too much. And I'm already playing Wing Commander: Privateer on my 486 (completely immersed in it now that I've gotten a few missions under my belt and upgraded my ship past "barely survivable"). So Grimrock II will have to wait til I finish or tire of Privateer or RtCW.

Reply 1016 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

For some reason, I have a prejudice against 3rd person over-the-shoulder-perspective games that I can't justify, so I've always avoided games like the Witcher and NWN.

Yes I prefer a first person perspective personally but Gothic II was the game that forced me into the over the shoulder thing, it was just too much fun to ignore. But even the technological marvel that is The Witcher 3 needed a FOV mod to make it OK, and I still find myself dancing around an item trying to interact with it.

RtCW is a classic and still looks great on the right hardware.

Reply 1017 of 5847, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Witcher 3

Started playing it when it first came out but stopped after an hour and haven't been back. Finished Dishonored 2 and decided to get back to this game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1018 of 5847, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've gone full circle and have found myself playing 4D Sports Boxing, which is what this thread started with ~4.5 years ago.

I'm playing it on my 486SX 33 this time (8MB RAM, PAS16, WDC VLB VGA) and it has more than enough horse power, but it was locking up initially with EMM386 loaded. 100% smooth sailing using my "Ultima 7" memory configuration though.

It's such an addictive game - I'm trying a different tactic this time; focusing on speed + stamina over power. It's working well so far but of course I'm looking at winning on points over spectacular, polygon rendered KOs 😵

Reply 1019 of 5847, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

It's such an addictive game - I'm trying a different tactic this time; focusing on speed + stamina over power. It's working well so far but of course I'm looking at winning on points over spectacular, polygon rendered KOs 😵

I believe my tactic used to be left hook, right hook, left hook, right hook, left hook, right hook...