VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an issue with Gabriel Knight. I can't seem to get SoftMPU to give me any MIDI music with an ESS1868 / Dreamblaster 2 combination in real DOS; no MIDI music with our without SoftMPU. It works flawlessly with all other Sierra games I tried however.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

I have an issue with Gabriel Knight. I can't seem to get SoftMPU to give me any MIDI music with an ESS1868 / Dreamblaster 2 combination in real DOS; no MIDI music with our without SoftMPU. It works flawlessly with all other Sierra games I tried however.

Gabriel Knight doesn't require SoftMPU.
Your issue seems to be game related (could be a speed issue). System specifications?

Reply 2 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Taken PCI597-1 mainboard, Pentium 133, 32MB EDO-72 60ns RAM, S3 Trio64V2/DX graphics card, Genius ES1898 ISA sound card, Dreamblaster S2 Wavetable, NEC 52X CD-ROM, CF-IDE Adapter, Sandisk 2GB CF Card

Sound Blaster Pro music runs fine.

Reply 3 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think we must ask one of the Mods to split off your query onto its own thread, since your problem has nothing to do with SoftMPU.

That said, try reinstalling the game or, try some of the patches that were released. What are you selecting as your music option?

Reply 4 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jesolo wrote:

I think we must ask one of the Mods to split off your query onto its own thread, since your problem has nothing to do with SoftMPU.

That said, try reinstalling the game or, try some of the patches that were released. What are you selecting as your music option?

General MIDI/MPU-401. Yeah it seems to be completely unrelated. I will look into patches as well, sorry for derailing. I assumed it required SoftMPU as most other Sierra games seem to.

Reply 6 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks Stiletto. Haven't had time to patch the game or even look up to see if any patches exist, I'll post a follow up.

Reply 7 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As a quick test, disable L1 cache. A P133 shouldn't be too fast, but I did see a patch for this game at PCGamingWiki that addresses timing issues on faster systems. It's not audio related, but it's quick and easy to try.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks