My Pentium 133 build

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 48, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

I own a Neptune, but that only supports P75 and P90.

I'm pretty sure if it supported the P90, it should also support the P100 as those two chips were released at the same time. The P75 came out a bit later. Perhaps your board doesn't like 66MHz bus speeds?
Anyway, I am quite certain that at least certain versions of Neptune support the P133, otherwise the P133 wouldn't have had a high end platform for the first 6 months it was out.

One thing is certain though, your HX will be a hell of a lot faster than the Neptune.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 23 of 48, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i also have a neptun board only supporting p90 and p75, there is no way set a fsb higher then 60mhz.
its one of the earliest pentium boards with socket 5 released.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 24 of 48, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's interesting, and I'd like to know the reason why your boards don't have a 66MHz bus setting. Maybe the yields on Neptune were low at 66MHz and Intel sold off the rejects for use at 50/60MHz only? The Neptune was obviously designed with 66MHz in mind, and it was pretty clear that the Pentium CPUs with a 66MHz bus were the ones that people wanted. Even with the release of the original P5, everyone was anticipating the 3.3V 100MHz model. The 90 and 100MHz parts came out a full six months before the 75, so if the boards you have specifically support the 75, although they are early they are certainly not the earliest for socket 5. I really wish there was more information available on the 430NX, but even back then it was pretty hard to get details it seems. The best way to learn about these things is old issues of things like PC Magazine. Recently I recall reading about a roundup of Pentium systems (I believe there was a 120 or 133MHz model in that roundup) based on either Neptune or Triton chipsets. I should look that one over again.

Reply 26 of 48, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed the two supported USB ports today only to find out that USB 1.0 is really useless - even my oldest USB thumb drive does not go lower than USB 1.1. Anyway, at least I can use them as a +5V power source. 😀

Also prepared an ALS100+ sound card with Dreamblaster S2 for installation tomorrow.

Reply 27 of 48, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah i have the same Motherboard 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 30 of 48, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That looks like an Intel board. There are others based on this chipset, but many are OEM.

Reply 37 of 48, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "dual-chambered" design of that case reminds me of Antec NSK34xx.

NSK3400_open.jpg

I guess your AT case doesn't have as much airflow in the bottom chamber, though. What are the temps like?

Reply 38 of 48, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No idea about the temps, so far I only had it running with the case open.

Now, however, it's finished. Added an Adaptec AVA-1505 which I had lying around today and covered the two remaining free slots. The AVA-1505 is quite cool as it has a Mac compatible DB-25 connector, so I can connect the same SCSI devices I use on my classic Macs using the same cables. And it's from 1997 - fitting perfectly. 😀

Will probably do a 12/24h burn-in test with the case closed next.