VOGONS

good SB16 replacement?

Topic actions

First post, by heretic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i've been looking for a replacement for my hanging note bug affected SB16, after getting Dreamblaster X2 and found these 4 cards:
- ESS ES1688F
- YAMAHA YMF-719F-S
- YAMAHA YMS-719E
- YAMAHA ATC-6631

Now question is: if any of them would be a good replacement for a CT1750, anyone use these?
never used yamaha cards before in dos so i'd be glad to know if there are some issues with drivers or compatibility across DOS games
any help is much appreciated 😀

Last edited by heretic on 2017-11-30, 09:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 24, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly all of those cards should be pretty decent, in fact you will probably prefer the Yamaha cards over any Soundblaster card. EDIT: Atrend ATC-6631 with YMF715B-S chipset Found this thread on here, first google result searching for YAMAHA ATC-6631.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 24, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think ESS cards are easier to work with under DOS — in fact, their configuration/drivers are dead simple. Yamaha cards have the benefit of "true OPL3", but you want to use the card for MIDI, so that shouldn't matter.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been discussed before, but ESS is a bit more compatible wrt PCM while Yamaha cards are slightly better for OPL3. They're all fine chipsets.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 24, by heretic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i know that 🙁
Are there any SB16 compatible cards that have good DOS support, possibly OPL3 or compatible, mpu-401 interface and no hanging note bug?

I've got also other concerns now after weekend playing with my current DOS build, i feel my system is greatly unstable especially throwing later (96'ish) games at it like Nascar 2, Z, HOMM and HOMM2. It would freeze occasionally, especially in Z - every after few seconds after launch. Already found my cmos battery is dead, which is kinda quirky on my motherboard - dallas ds12887. Losing time settings after each reboot is not a problem here, however this rtc chip also contains NVRAM holding cmos settings. Right now i can't change anything in BIOS, settings wont save, after each reboot they go back to their previous state 🙁

Reply 7 of 24, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
heretic wrote:

i know that 🙁
Are there any SB16 compatible cards that have good DOS support, possibly OPL3 or compatible, mpu-401 interface and no hanging note bug?

Yes, ALS100(+) for example. Stay away from ALS120 cards however, as those no longer use real/unlicenced OPL3 but a rather bad clone.

Last edited by derSammler on 2017-12-04, 10:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yamaha cards have the benefit of "true OPL3"

Some ESS ES688F cards have true OPL3.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 24, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are worth considering: Sound Blaster 16 Clones

Not a real OPL3 but a decent clone, and the SB16 compatibility works pretty well. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the software too I recall.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 11 of 24, by heretic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately can't get one of these now but i'll give a try Yamaha card now. ESS 1688F gave me hell, its much more noisy than SB16, in some games Soundblaster driver doesnt even work for sound effects (ie. Winter Challenge), Adlib driver gives turbo output - sound is played so fast only a hiss or zzz noise comes out of speakers. The Yamaha card i found has YMS-719E chip, however can't tell what card model it is actually, it looks like this:

Webp_net_resizeimage.jpg

Reply 12 of 24, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
heretic wrote:

ESS 1688F gave me hell, its much more noisy than SB16, in some games Soundblaster driver doesnt even work for sound effects (ie. Winter Challenge)

Yep. Had similar issues with a plain old ESS688, I recall. Some games just would not recognize the SB portion of it, or recognize it intermittently.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 13 of 24, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the hanging notes bug Sound Blaster models you might want to consider this source (google translate-link):
https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de?s … r-modellnummern

Did you also take Aztech sound cards into account for your decision?

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 14 of 24, by heretic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you also take Aztech sound cards into account for your decision?

I picked only those cards available locally with affordable price (around $10). At the time i last checked there were no Aztech cards.
But i must report update on this topic, swapped the ESS 1688F for some OEM Yamaha YMF719E card, which is almost identical to Yamaha Audician 32 (its missing cd-rom interface).
This card sounds superb! Installation from Audician CD is as straightforward as it can be, i only had to move jumpers to disable onboard amplifier and disable all the 3d sound effects. Output is crystal clear + WSS compatibility makes it even more awesome! Obviously MPU-401 isnt bugged to hell like SB16: no hanging notes problem, no stuttering in build engine games and more importantly, MPU-401 doesn't hang my computer in Ecstatica 🤣

Reply 15 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to be crazy about "True OPL3" because most people into retro computing are..

Then I sampled ESFM next to "True OPL3" and believe me it mostly sounds the same, and when it sounds different it sounds better.

So my vote is for the ES1688F. And I am really curious about the bugs you encountered as my experience with the ESS chipsets have always been flawless. You may have been using a wrong driver?

That said, the YMF-719 is also a great chip, if you don't mind dealing with its quirky dos drivers and mixer.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16 of 24, by heretic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The ESS 1688F i used was PnP so it only needed ESSCFG to initialize, there were no drivers for it. MPU-401 worked well with this card, however it was really very noisy, plus in some older games Soundblaster driver wasnt working at all.
After a day of playing with the Yamaha card im really impressed, so believe me there is difference 😀

if you don't mind dealing with its quirky dos drivers and mixer

So far the opl3sax mixer works flawlessly and range of options is really great.

Reply 17 of 24, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
heretic wrote:

however it was really very noisy

Note that the ES1688F is only a sound chip, not a sound card. Noise comes from the sound card design and not from the chip. A very cheap, badly designed sound card with ES1688F might be noisy, a good one may not.

Reply 18 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:
heretic wrote:

however it was really very noisy

Note that the ES1688F is only a sound chip, not a sound card. Noise comes from the sound card design and not from the chip. A very cheap, badly designed sound card with ES1688F might be noisy, a good one may not.

Yeah, this. Sounds like the card OP had either had really bad amplification or filtering or both.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.