VOGONS

First post, by Dragon Caesar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently obtained a neat 486 system, the NEC Powermate 433D. The previous owner however must have done some upgrades in the past. When testing it out, I found Windows 98. Literally, there was a Windows 98 install CD in the disc drive. Besides that, the RAM and CPU I believe were upped. It currently has 16 megs of RAM and a DX2 @ 66 mhz. There is also a "fake AWE64" CT4520 SB16 card installed but everything else is onboard.

I'm not too sure if I want to switch out the processor or bump up the RAM but I was hoping to see if anyone has recommendations regarding sound and video. I'm aiming to run DOS and maybe Win 3.1 as well for any games that require it. I don't have a ton of spare parts to choose from but thanks to liqmat and past lucky finds I have a few options available without resorting to eBay.

Sound:
SB16 CT4520 (Current)
Asound Gold ALS100
Yamaha A151-A00/YMF719E-S

Video:
Onboard 64300 Wingine (Current)
Tseng ET4000AX

Any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 3, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Current config is good and CT4520 is really a AWE64 card. Nothing fake there...

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 3, by Dragon Caesar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elianda wrote:

Current config is good and CT4520 is really a AWE64 card. Nothing fake there...

Thanks! I called it fake because it matches up to the card shown here: I've never seen a AWE64 CT4520 that's neutered. In Win98 it was showing up as a SB16 as well.

Reply 3 of 3, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dragon Caesar wrote:

Thanks! I called it fake because it matches up to the card shown here: I've never seen a AWE64 CT4520 that's neutered. In Win98 it was showing up as a SB16 as well.

Then it's a SB16. Seems like they reused the last AWE64 pcbs for those OEM cards.