Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 20560 of 52337, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Smid1980 wrote:

Maybe random but the Mediavison Jazz16 is a nice find nevertheless.
Really nice soundcard in my opinion. congrats!

Wow. Thanks! Don't know much about it yet. Just recognized the company name and snatched it.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 20561 of 52337, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Srandista wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Pabloz

i like the board because it supports 1.5gb of ram. the only sad thing is that its agp 2x and not 4x

Looks nice, but floppy placement is horrible.

Yeah, but on these old motherboards, it seems to be rather norm then exception. On my board, I have 20 pin for ATX power supply on similar place. It's ridiculous, especially when you realize, that you sometimes don't have to connect floppy, but you HAVE to connect power to the board.

My Asus P2L97-S has the floppy in exactly the same spot; pretty similar layout in general actually. I went through about 10 floppy cables before I found one long enough (have a 5.25" drive in the machine so needed a two-position cable) and it's stretched kinda taut over the CPU. "Great" for airflow, sure.

Seriously couldn't they have figured something better out for that? The rest of the board is really nice.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 20562 of 52337, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Smid1980 wrote:
CkRtech wrote:

Hit an estate sale on the last day during its last hour and scored a couple of Trident ISA VGA cards and a Media Vision Jazz 16 card - Random assortment for sure.

Maybe random but the Mediavison Jazz16 is a nice find nevertheless.
Really nice soundcard in my opinion. congrats!

Yup...
I have one of the many Jazz16 cards. Mine however, is not SB16 compatible, only SB-Pro. This however does not matter. The sound quality is really good. Drivers are extremely easy to work with.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 20563 of 52337, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm glad to see that this lot came into the hands of a fellow Vogon-er. I tried to get the seller to break up the collection, but he didn't want to.

Let me know if you need some help 😉

Smid1980 wrote:
Bought a storageroom full of old hardware yesterday […]
Show full quote

Bought a storageroom full of old hardware yesterday

<snip>

A small selection of the contents:
-8088XT IBM Clone
-IBM PS/2 Model 30 286
-Some Tulip computers (Tulip was a dutch pc manufacturer)
-Philips videopac 7000 and videopac 2000
-Commodore 128
-Atari 1040ST F
-Atari PC3 8088
-sun ultrasparc
-Apple macintosh LC 475
-Some 286 and 386 whiteboxes
-Some pentium class AT whiteboxes
-etc etc

<snip>

It will take me a couple of weeks to sort and test it all.
Hopefully there wont be too many NiCd battery leaks and is most of the stuff in reasonable working order.

Plan: Test and do restaurations on most of the computers.
Then resell around 2 thirds of this collection and keep the rest to add to my private collection.
In particular all the Tulip computers will get a nice place in my own collection. Dutch pride... can't help it 😎

1982 to 2001

Reply 20564 of 52337, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Srandista wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Pabloz

i like the board because it supports 1.5gb of ram. the only sad thing is that its agp 2x and not 4x

Looks nice, but floppy placement is horrible.

Yeah, but on these old motherboards, it seems to be rather norm then exception. On my board, I have 20 pin for ATX power supply on similar place. It's ridiculous, especially when you realize, that you sometimes don't have to connect floppy, but you HAVE to connect power to the board.

AOpen has some bad layouts. You will just LOVE the AX59 Pro (really nice board, but the location of the ATX & floppy connectors...

RMroAlxl.jpg?1

1982 to 2001

Reply 20565 of 52337, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Won an Intel i486 DX4-100 OverDrive on eBay last night for a little over $20 after S&H charges applied. A couple of bent pins, but I can fix that.

Haha! You beat me on that one. I'm glad it went to another member though! 🤣

Reply 20566 of 52337, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought a lot of 42 mixed 72-pin and 30-pin ram for around 50c a stick. Also sold as SDRAM, which it is of course not.

Pretty much the only types of RAM I didn't have enough of.

Sellers potato camera pic:

The_RAMS.jpg
Filename
The_RAMS.jpg
File size
255.37 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 20567 of 52337, by dieymir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have bought this for my Am386sx@40Mhz:

iit_3c87sx.jpg
Filename
iit_3c87sx.jpg
File size
199.73 KiB
Views
File license

AFAIK very few 387sx coprocessors running at that freq. where manufactured ... 😊

Reply 20568 of 52337, by dieymir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
andrewreader wrote:
http://www.andrewreader.com/Vogons/386/PC%20Tools.jpg […]
Show full quote

PC%20Tools.jpg

Please, Could you take images of that installation disks?? There are lot of PC Tools 8.0 (11/92) copies floating around but, so far, I've never seen a copy of the MS-DOS 6.0 compatible upgrade: PC Tools 8.0a

TIA

Reply 20569 of 52337, by Smid1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I'm glad to see that this lot came into the hands of a fellow Vogon-er. I tried to get the seller to break up the collection, but he didn't want to.

Let me know if you need some help 😉

I will... 😀
And you can always send me a PM if there is something out of the lot you want to add to your collection.

Reply 20570 of 52337, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought these four boards today, I now have not one but two VLB boards (not yet a VLB videocard, but I'm planning to).
The 486 boards (TK 8498F/GP 4N D24 and MB-495SX Rev1.1 / OPTi495SX) are in good working order, but the 386 one (can anyone help me identify it?) has been quite corroded because of the battery. Dead as a rock, but since it has a few tracks completely gone I didn't really expect it to boot. I will try to repair the broken tracks and have another go.
The OCTEK FOX M 286 board unfortunately has a broken chip, the one labeled PAL 089-001. That chip being a programmable logic array I don't think I'll be able to repair that board.

TK8498F.jpg
Filename
TK8498F.jpg
File size
425.76 KiB
Views
File license
OPTI-495SX.jpg
Filename
OPTI-495SX.jpg
File size
436.06 KiB
Views
File license
Unknown386.jpg
Filename
Unknown386.jpg
File size
470.23 KiB
Views
File license
octek_fox.jpg
Filename
octek_fox.jpg
File size
580.28 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 20571 of 52337, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I received my Dell Precision 610. I'm using this for my 1998 dream machine build. It currently has a Pentium III Xeon, which I'm going to pull and replace with 2 PII 450mhz Xeons. It also has a Diamond v770 (Riva TNT2). I need to pull it and replace it with a v550, but I really don't want to. Gigabyte of ram, 9 gig or so scsi disk. Interesting case feature - there's a screw-down mechanism that secures the AGP card using a lever with a spring on it. Given the bad seating problems AGP has had on various systems, I thought this was pretty neat.
CNb7ksK.png

I also went to my shop to look at old computer stuff (I'm new-ish to the hobby) and found this little guy:
N21MMqy.png
I'm wondering how good he is at MS-DOS. It's running XP (slowly). I've been thinking about putting 98 SE in it. It has a Rage Mobility M1 and a Yamaha DS-XG PCI sound card on the PCI bus. So basically, Mach64 and soundblaster-compatible? sound with good wavetable? Seems like it could be fun.

My dream machine build:
Senior Year: My 1997/1998 dream system (build log)

Reply 20572 of 52337, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
quicknick wrote:
Bought these four boards today, I now have not one but two VLB boards (not yet a VLB videocard, but I'm planning to). The 486 bo […]
Show full quote

Bought these four boards today, I now have not one but two VLB boards (not yet a VLB videocard, but I'm planning to).
The 486 boards (TK 8498F/GP 4N D24 and MB-495SX Rev1.1 / OPTi495SX) are in good working order, but the 386 one (can anyone help me identify it?) has been quite corroded because of the battery. Dead as a rock, but since it has a few tracks completely gone I didn't really expect it to boot. I will try to repair the broken tracks and have another go.
The OCTEK FOX M 286 board unfortunately has a broken chip, the one labeled PAL 089-001. That chip being a programmable logic array I don't think I'll be able to repair that board.

<snip>

octek_fox.jpg

I'm curious. How do you know that chip is broken? 😀

1982 to 2001

Reply 20573 of 52337, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dieymir wrote:

Please, Could you take images of that installation disks?? There are lot of PC Tools 8.0 (11/92) copies floating around but, so far, I've never seen a copy of the MS-DOS 6.0 compatible upgrade: PC Tools 8.0a
TIA

No problem. I'll do that this week.

Reply 20574 of 52337, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got SImmConn Value... so now my SimmConns collection is complete 😀

Batyra_SimmConn Value.jpg
Filename
File size
169.9 KiB
Views
File comment
Simm Conn
File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 20575 of 52337, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Todays lot...6 kg of junk and 500 g usable cards...:
- Voodoo 2 Maxi Gamer 3D .. some Resistors missing on back
- Voodoo 2 Creative CT6670 ... also some Resistors missing on back
- Voodoo 1 Diamond Monster 3D ... looking good
- Creative DVD Decoder CT7230
- AWE64 CT4500
- 2x OTI067 ISA VGA
- some ISA IDE Multi I/O controllers

50€ incl. shipment. Not a very good deal as the Voodoo2 are damaged (but repairable), but still OK. Will sell the reminaing 6 kg again 😉

Have quite a good 3dfx collection in the meantime and paid almost nothing 😀 Wasnt able to afford such cards back in the 90s 😀

IMG_9941.JPG
Filename
IMG_9941.JPG
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license

..but this will be difficult 🙁

IMG_9942.JPG
Filename
IMG_9942.JPG
File size
715.56 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 20576 of 52337, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
furan wrote:
I also went to my shop to look at old computer stuff (I'm new-ish to the hobby) and found this little guy: https://i.imgur.com/N […]
Show full quote

I also went to my shop to look at old computer stuff (I'm new-ish to the hobby) and found this little guy:
N21MMqy.png
I'm wondering how good he is at MS-DOS. It's running XP (slowly). I've been thinking about putting 98 SE in it. It has a Rage Mobility M1 and a Yamaha DS-XG PCI sound card on the PCI bus. So basically, Mach64 and soundblaster-compatible? sound with good wavetable? Seems like it could be fun.

Yamaha XG has real OPL3, good SoundBlaster Pro support and XG Wavetable. So it is a pretty nice setup for running DOS and Windows games.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 20577 of 52337, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

<snip>

..but this will be difficult 🙁

IMG_9942.JPG

Ugh, I have fixed Voodoo 2's like that, but this one is in pretty bad shape. I have successfully used a hobby knife like this: https://www.afbreekmespunt.nl/894-home/stanle … ekmesje-9mm.jpg to seperate the legs. But it looks like one or more might have been seperated from the PCB in yours?

1982 to 2001

Reply 20578 of 52337, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Batyra wrote:

I assume that board connects to the 2 pinouts on the AWE64 card to add more memory for the SoundFont (WavEffects) with more instruments and stuff? I've never seen one in person, and I have an STB Velocity 3D (S3 Virge/VX) that has no RAMDAC, only 4MB video RAM, and only VGA capable for MS-DOS games (sad).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 20579 of 52337, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:
Batyra wrote:

I assume that board connects to the 2 pinouts on the AWE64 card to add more memory for the SoundFont (WavEffects) with more instruments and stuff? I've never seen one in person, and I have an STB Velocity 3D (S3 Virge/VX) that has no RAMDAC, only 4MB video RAM, and only VGA capable for MS-DOS games (sad).

Yep, see here:
Simmconn AWE64 Adapter

Dreamblaster did a special run of new adapters for us here on vogons as the originals were no longer available and the original maker open sourced the project on the stipulation that it would not be sold commercially.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK