VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I've this Biostar U8568 Pro mobo with the P4X266E chipset. I've read the best cpu I can use is the Pentium4 2,8Ghz 533Mhz Socket 478 and with 2x1GB DDR1 266Mhz, and beside these ram I don't have, the cpu is the one I'm testing right now. Are any other better options like running a 800Mhz FSB cpu @ lower fsb but with higher cache/sse?
And if there're no other options, is the P4 Northwood 2,8Ghz (with HT) a good overclocker chip?
Thank

Reply 1 of 2, by Bobolaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have never used that motherboard but a quick search and looks like your best bet are Northwood core P4. Some motherboards did not like the hyper threaded variants and I cant find any reference online of anyone using one. Though saying that if you shop about you can normally grab them cheap so it may be worth just grabbing one and trying. I also dont see anyone running quicker than 2.8GHz chips. They did do a Northwood HT on a 533FSB at 3.06GHz that may possibly work though my gut is skeptical. I have in passed grabbed engineering sample chips with unlocked multipliers that may be wroth grabbing if you see one cheap but again no guarantee it will work as it should or at all with your motherboard. Sorry not much help.

Reply 2 of 2, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bobolaf wrote:

I have never used that motherboard but a quick search and looks like your best bet are Northwood core P4. Some motherboards did not like the hyper threaded variants and I cant find any reference online of anyone using one. Though saying that if you shop about you can normally grab them cheap so it may be worth just grabbing one and trying. I also dont see anyone running quicker than 2.8GHz chips. They did do a Northwood HT on a 533FSB at 3.06GHz that may possibly work though my gut is skeptical. I have in passed grabbed engineering sample chips with unlocked multipliers that may be wroth grabbing if you see one cheap but again no guarantee it will work as it should or at all with your motherboard. Sorry not much help.

I tried a faster Northwood like a 3,2Ghz with 512kbyte L2 but it's strange it boot as 1,6ghz and the FSB can't go above 133Mhz. But with the 2,8Ghz I could set in the bios up to 166Mhz. Why?