VOGONS

Reply 720 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

64 bit interfaces are a real pain on some of these cards. Makes a huge difference indeed.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 721 of 781, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

64 bit interfaces are a real pain on some of these cards. Makes a huge difference indeed.

Yeah, this is why avoid 64 bit cards at some point

I belive my dual socket 370 Tualatin can take faster cards and this is why i'm considering the FX 5500 PCI 128 bit, my board came from an old IBM xSeries 220 and it's onboard video is really weak, an S3 Savage 4 Pro with a 16-32 bit memory bus, so a PCI card is really needed

There a pic of my board
Picture%20976.jpg

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 722 of 781, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my experience most DirectX8 games run on the K6-2+ / K6-III[+] barely.
Is there really a huge benefit when deciding between e.g. Geforce4 MX440 / Radeon 9250 / GeforceFX 5200 / GeforceFX 5500 as PCI cards?

The cards in a Dual Tualatin is a different story as such system is several times faster than a K6-III+. And you can use PCI-X graphics cards...

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 723 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt it matters much which PCI card, out of the ones you listed, you use. I went with the FX 5500 because it's available easily and quite cheap and currently my only PCI card of that calibre. The FX 5500 has 128 bit interface, so that helps with AA and AF I guess. That might be another reason to pick it over other cards.

The only other PCI card I have is a TNT2 M64, but that one is much slower.

Reply 724 of 781, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Phil, try to get a 6200 PCI (most likely 64-bit version), and compare it in old games to FX 5500 PCI.
As you mentioned in video, FX series has legacy support for some functions wile 6000 series doesn't. Checking what exactly is best (from Performance/Compatibility standpoint), would make a great video.

Here is a short comparison of my GF FX 5500 PCI (128-bit) and GF 6200 PCI (64-bit) cards :

3DMark 01 SE :
FX 5500 - 6298 pkt.
GF 6200 - 8046 pkt.

Quake III Arena :
FX 5500 - 65,7 FPS
GF 6200 - 57,4 FPS

3DMark 01 SE :

3DMark 01 SE mini.png
Filename
3DMark 01 SE mini.png
File size
402.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
3DMark 01 SE mini.png
Filename
3DMark 01 SE mini.png
File size
370.8 KiB
Views
File license

Quake III Arena :

Quake III Arena mini.png
Filename
Quake III Arena mini.png
File size
577.14 KiB
Views
File license
Quake III Arena mini.png
Filename
Quake III Arena mini.png
File size
507.99 KiB
Views
File license

157143230295.png

Reply 725 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Couldn't come up with a decent title. Testing the K6-III+ with different amounts of RAM and Windows versions (98, ME, 2K and XP) as well as nGlide: https://youtu.be/Jj1cVuPbW4E

Reply 730 of 781, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Celeron 1000 and 1100 Retro Gaming Review: https://youtu.be/4R-IOTumbVQ

Watched this a couple days ago. I'm liking how you keep putting the "forgotten" and unpopular stuff to the test 😀

I used my Celeron rigs with lots of pleasure, both my Celeron 400 (s370, not Slot 1 though) and Celeron 800 rigs were nice rigs to work with 😀

I always had the feeling the Celeron 800 was more similar to a Coppermine 566 or Coppermine 600 or so though, it was definitely slower in SuperPi (though I know perfectly well that isn't everything).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 731 of 781, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just watched the Athlon PSU video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efK7mw8eYiE

ATX power supplies have a few metrics that they must hold to in order to pass at a given power level:
*Voltage regulation - Does the PSU supply 3.3/5/12V when loaded?
*Voltage ripple - Does noise on the outputs increase with load?
*Transient response - Does the output voltage smoothly increase on power up in a loaded condition without overshoot? When load changes, does the PSU smoothly and quickly adjust without overshoot?

Power supplies do have a PWR_OK pin which ATX motherboards check before proceeding with post. All but the nastiest power supplies have some combination of thermal, current, and voltage monitoring which can be used to signal this pin, but it's unfortunately a common practice for manufacturers to strap the PWR_OK pin to 5V resulting in an undeservedly tolerant setup by eliminating this protective feature.

To sum up, just because a PSU can power on your system, it doesn't mean it's a good idea

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 733 of 781, by M-HT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just watched the "486 from 75 MHz to 160 MHz and how memory timings matter" video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlQXS1VrFUQ

I noticed a small error - in the last result you enabled external cache and said that it only increased the speed from 53fps to 56.2fps. In the graphs you wrote that the 56.2fps is the result for "50x3 256KB L2" and 53fps is the result for "40x4=160MHz". Either you have mislabeled graph or you're comparing the speed with/without enabled cache at different speeds (150/160MHz).

Reply 734 of 781, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just watched the fast 486 video as well. Any comments on typical behaviors of turbo/deturbo on these boards and how well they can plug gaps in the performance envelope with cache/FSB/WS manipulation?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 735 of 781, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I assume that by now everyone here realises that Phil isn't on Vogons anymore?

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 736 of 781, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He may not post on here, but his presence is still here. People still reference him every day, link to his site and videos, and post to topics he started. So in a way, he IS still on Vogons.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 738 of 781, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Nah, he's too good for us now.

I can't speak for Phil obviously, but I certainly don't think it's got anything to do with being too good for Vogons.
It's likely more to do with what us Aussies call "Tall poppy syndrome" in that some people were trying to unnecessarily disagree a lot
over some of His posts, he'd had enough so left. Simple as that.

Sometimes when someone is a bit successful, others want to wreck it for them.

He's got a Facebook retro pc channel now.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 739 of 781, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Imperious wrote:

It's likely more to do with what us Aussies call "Tall poppy syndrome" in that some people were trying to unnecessarily disagree a lot

This. One of his last posts, I remember he posted some video card benchmarks. If you or I would've posted the same, it would have generated positive feedback. But one or two people saw fit to aggressively criticize his methodologies with a zeal that was completely unnecessary. I think that's when he stopped posting here, and I don't blame him. It's too bad, as I get the impression this was a place where he felt like just another one of the guys. If anything, rather than being "too good" for us, he was pushed away because others were placing him up on a pedestal when he just wanted to hang out and shoot the retro shit with like-minded pals.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks