VOGONS

First post, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cheesemaun wrote:

What I am noticing now is that newer entry level Midi keyboards only come with a USB connection. I was just wondering if it was possible to do something like:

Keyboard USB --> PC ---> Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI Adapter ----> Roland MT-32 or SC-55?

You can use FSMP or MIDI-OX as a bridge on the PC.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 4, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, It's possible on a PC. You only need a software that routes midi input (your keyboard) to midi out (your synths).
I have already used my Midi Player(FSMP) to connect a USB midi keyboard to Roland SC-VA (VSTi plugin) and using a real Roland HW is no different in this respect.
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer
Open device settings (gear like icon) and enable Midi in then select your keyboard as midi input. Then select the midi out port where your Roland HW is connected press OK and you are done. Something like in this Phil's Computer Lab video, but you should choose a different output:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSk9S1bkRS8&t=9m5s
You can also set Master Volume/Balance of your HW if you select 'Use SysEx for Volume/Balance' option in the same dialog. Setting GS reverb/chorus effect types/levels are also supported (only on your SC-55).

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 2 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot of the older MIDI controllers (with MIDI out and if necessary USB) are of good quality and can be picked up for low amounts second hand, e.g. Roland PC-series or Yamaha CBX-K-series. Furthermore, many synthesizers and digital pianos with MIDI in and out can also be used as a MIDI master keyboard, so they too are worth considering.

Reply 3 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Be a bit careful with Behringer gear - it tends to be rather hit or miss, with some stuff being pretty high quality for the price and other impressively shitty (and some of their products are outright vaporware). In my home country it has the nickname "Tehringer" ("tering" = Dutch vernacular for tuberculosis, also popular insult)...

Reply 4 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cheesemaun wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Be a bit careful with Behringer gear - it tends to be rather hit or miss, with some stuff being pretty high quality for the price and other impressively shitty (and some of their products are outright vaporware). In my home country it has the nickname "Tehringer" ("tering" = Dutch vernacular for tuberculosis, also popular insult)...

Good to know - I was also worried about this as I had heard mixed reviews. Many people mentioned that the mixers had alot of extra noise/buzz but so far the unit I received has no extra noise.

That's the whole problem, some models can be fine, while other models within the same product range can be absolute crap. Basically you don't know what you're buying when buying new Behringer gear unless you wait for others toy buy the same gear and review it. Many other manufacturers are a bit more consistent quality-wise.

I think I should be okay with just this mixer, so no more "Tehringer" gear 🤣

Just google model numbers and you should be fine - actually, I would recommend that for any second-hand gear, some stuff is absolute gold and other is just meh.