VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 20600 of 52205, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought some more PCI cards and acquired my last Riva128 with this batch (for now?).

Every 486 board is now equipped with one aforementioned "powerhouse" which is, hands down, my favorite regarding looks and performance.

I'm pretty happy to say that there isn't a must have card for me to purchase left... may sound somewhat laughable with the "size" of my collection taken into account but I'm pretty happy with what I have.

The only downside is that the Rivas do not work in older 486/586 boards and so I have the Matrox MilleniumII running in the P66. I was pretty "ecstatic" when I benched DoomShareware timedemo3... as the Matrox is even faster than the VirgeDX by 8 tics[1] which resulted in 1514 realtics for 2134 gametics... nearly 50fps... close but no cigar though.

[1] this is only possible because this Demo's "scenery" is not that heavy on the cpu and so the vga core can still marginally influence the result.

Attachments

• Trio64 PCI.jpg
    Filename
    Trio64 PCI.jpg
    File size
    495.63 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ATI/Trio64
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Radeon 7000 PCI.jpg
    Filename
    Radeon 7000 PCI.jpg
    File size
    622.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ATI/Radeon 7000(64)
    File license
  • ATI 9250.jpg
    Filename
    ATI 9250.jpg
    File size
    591.28 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ATI/Radeon 9250(128)
    File license
  • Matrox Millenium II.jpg
    Filename
    Matrox Millenium II.jpg
    File size
    605.76 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Millenium II - simply a gorgeous card
    File license
  • Diamond Riva128 PCI.jpg
    Filename
    Diamond Riva128 PCI.jpg
    File size
    584.76 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Riva128
    File license

Reply 20604 of 52205, by Anaxagoras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I bought this graphics card, NVIDIA 7950GT AGP version.

20171206_171813.jpg
Filename
20171206_171813.jpg
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license

I think that this graphics card are one of the last sold for AGP bus.
It works very well in my Pentium 4 and there are a lot of difference with the previous installed card, a NVIDIA GeForce 6200.

Doom 3, Quake 4 and Painkiller waits me!!! 😈

My computers

qp92nk-6.png

Reply 20605 of 52205, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

<snip>

..but this will be difficult 🙁

The attachment IMG_9942.JPG is no longer available

Ugh, I have fixed Voodoo 2's like that, but this one is in pretty bad shape. I have successfully used a hobby knife like this: https://www.afbreekmespunt.nl/894-home/stanle … ekmesje-9mm.jpg to seperate the legs. But it looks like one or more might have been seperated from the PCB in yours?

Good idea, thanks!

Yes the outer one seemed to be separated. Looks very fragile at the moment. Not sure if this Pin is connected at all, but it seems to go to that hole to the bottom side...

Dont know if I get this fixed again...then there are those missing parts on some bottom side.

Attachments

• IMG_9943r.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_9943r.jpg
    File size
    43.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_9946r.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_9946r.jpg
    File size
    188.77 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 20606 of 52205, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

8 resistors, a flip-flop and a nand buffer? wow, i'm... underwhelmed. I mean it would be easy to recreate that card now, but I'm all kinds of curious as to what it does. Do you mind if I post your images over on http://www.vcfed.org? The community there is a bit more tailored to this era of hardware.

Also, thank you for taking the time to take those pics!

feel free. there is already a thread there http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?287 … -Connector-Card but unfortunately all the pics are hosted on photobucket.

from what i gather it's to control some screen overlay stuff.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 20607 of 52205, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
furan wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/Vg5CTLL.jpg […]
Show full quote

Vg5CTLL.jpg

I've seen that keyboard featured in Maxxarcade's YouTube Video.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 20608 of 52205, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Just bought a lot of 90 ISA/PCI/AGP cards. 😲

Pictures, or it didn't happen 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 20609 of 52205, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anaxagoras wrote:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

I bought this graphics card, NVIDIA 7950GT AGP version.
I think that this graphics card are one of the last sold for AGP bus.
It works very well in my Pentium 4 and there are a lot of difference with the previous installed card, a NVIDIA GeForce 6200.

Doom 3, Quake 4 and Painkiller waits me!!! 😈

That's the raddest, most tubular card I've ever seen! 🤣

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 20610 of 52205, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Assuming the leg doesn't bust off when twisted back into place, that's a doable repair for a skilled tech. I recently just repaired an Ensoniq SoundScape OPUS with the same exact damage.

Predator99 wrote:
Good idea, thanks! […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

<snip>

..but this will be difficult 🙁

IMG_9942.JPG

Ugh, I have fixed Voodoo 2's like that, but this one is in pretty bad shape. I have successfully used a hobby knife like this: https://www.afbreekmespunt.nl/894-home/stanle … ekmesje-9mm.jpg to seperate the legs. But it looks like one or more might have been seperated from the PCB in yours?

Good idea, thanks!

Yes the outer one seemed to be separated. Looks very fragile at the moment. Not sure if this Pin is connected at all, but it seems to go to that hole to the bottom side...

Dont know if I get this fixed again...then there are those missing parts on some bottom side.

Reply 20611 of 52205, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FesterBlatz wrote:

Assuming the leg doesn't bust off when twisted back into place, that's a doable repair for a skilled tech. I recently just repaired an Ensoniq SoundScape OPUS with the same exact damage.

I would trim the leg a little bit, but leave it as is. Then solder a small wire-wrap wire to the trace, with the other end soldered to the lead sticking out of the chip. I would not bend it back into place. This depends on your soldering skills, but this is fixable. If you bend it back and it breaks, you may end up having to dremel into that part of the chip to get access to more of the lead frame, and do the same.

What I mean for wire wrap wire (this sort of stuff is used as bodge repair wire all the time):
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1446

Reply 20612 of 52205, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good advice! Best to not tempt Murphy's law. I generally try to make my repairs look...well, invisible. But my German OCD is the reason for this. A functional repair is certainly more valuable than a failed attempt at a pretty one.

Care must also be taken not to lift that pad. Lots of flux and swift use of a fine curved tip of a QUALITY soldering iron are paramount.

Personally, if you're serious about fixing it I suggest having someone experienced with this type of work take a crack at it.

furan wrote:

I would trim the leg a little bit, but leave it as is. Then solder a small wire-wrap wire to the trace, with the other end soldered to the lead sticking out of the chip. I would not bend it back into place. This depends on your soldering skills, but this is fixable. If you bend it back and it breaks, you may end up having to dremel into that part of the chip to get access to more of the lead frame, and do the same.

What I mean for wire wrap wire (this sort of stuff is used as bodge repair wire all the time):
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1446

Reply 20613 of 52205, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FesterBlatz wrote:

Good advice! Best to not tempt Murphy's law. I generally try to make my repairs look...well, invisible. But my German OCD is the reason for this. A functional repair is certainly more valuable than a failed attempt at a pretty one.

Care must also be taken not to lift that pad. Lots of flux and swift use of a fine curved tip of a QUALITY soldering iron are paramount.

Personally, if you're serious about fixing it I suggest having someone experienced with this type of work take a crack at it.

Note for the faint of heart for sure.

Reply 20614 of 52205, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
furan wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/Vg5CTLL.jpg Intergraph ConcertMaster keyboard Logitech Trackman Marble Sound Blaster CT2940 w/OPL3 chip 3x D […]
Show full quote

Vg5CTLL.jpg
Intergraph ConcertMaster keyboard
Logitech Trackman Marble
Sound Blaster CT2940 w/OPL3 chip
3x Diamond V330
S3 Virge GX/2
Some sata controller card
2x256 meg pc100

That keyboard always makes me chuckle as it reminds me of Carmack and his 400" CRT.

Reply 20615 of 52205, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
amadeus777999 wrote:

That keyboard always makes me chuckle as it reminds me of Carmack and his 400" CRT.

That's why I picked it out - I asked him on Twitter and he said he really loved that keyboard, so I figured while building my "1998 dream system" I'd try it out. Color matches well with the Sun 21" monitor I'm using.

Reply 20617 of 52205, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll post full photos of this purchase later, but for now I need a bit of help in understanding what I bought..

486OD.jpg
Filename
486OD.jpg
File size
138.88 KiB
Views
File license

This socket comes populated with a 486 Overdrive CPU. My understanding is that it is a replacement Overdrive, so despite the socket being labelled as Overdrive Socket any PGA-168 486 CPUs (ie. a 486DX33 or a U5S SUPER-33) should work with this board? In theory even a DX2-66 5v would work on it except that mounting a heatsink is impossible due to no Socket 3 lugs? Am I missing anything?

Also, what is the difference between the 486 Overdrive DX2-66 and regular 486 DX2-66? Both are 5V..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 20618 of 52205, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC the DX2 overdrive has write-back l1 cache. But that's it ...

It also depends if your overdrive has 168 or 169 pins. A 169 pin chip will fit into a mobo with a 487SX upgrade socket.

Some heatsink will clip on the chip itself rather than on the socket so if you find one of these coolers, you will not experience any problems.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 20619 of 52205, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I can easily remove this OD CPU and replace it with, say, a U5S SUPER-33 or a regular DX2-66?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.