PCI Dos sound card which is working with modern motherboard, exists?

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

PCI Dos sound card which is working with modern motherboard, exists?

Postby ruthan » 2017-12-06 @ 02:40

Hello,
im trying experimenting with CT Live! and Audigy cards which are working fine in Win98Se, but not in Dos - have tried its SB 16 emulation driver, is loaded but is not working, so perhaps there is other working cards?

Modern board i mean Core i architector or AMD970 etc.. its possible to make WIndows98SE working on them, so pure Dos is next step.
Old goal oriented goat.. i care about facts and freedom, not about egos and prejudices etc.. If you want respect, you should gain it by your behavior..
ruthan

Re: PCI Dos sound card which is working with modern motherboard, exists?

Postby cyclone3d » 2017-12-06 @ 02:55

The Live! and Audigy cards will not work in DOS on newer chipsets.

You may be able to get a Yamaha YMF7x4 board working in DOS.

See here:
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=48983

Or maybe an ESS Solo-1 based card.
cyclone3d
Oldbie

Postby ruthan » 2017-12-07 @ 02:24

If is problem at the side of Sound card but main board. Because i can make (have) Audigy working on Core 2 Duo too..
Old goal oriented goat.. i care about facts and freedom, not about egos and prejudices etc.. If you want respect, you should gain it by your behavior..
ruthan

Postby Kamerat » 2017-12-07 @ 06:04

Yes, it's a motherboard issue. If you want the best DOS support with a Core 2 based rig you should go for a motherboard based on a chipset from VIA. ESS Solo-1 or parhaps an ALS4000 might work on the latest VIA chipset for the Core 2 and the Audigy also (but the SoundBlaster PCI/Live!/Audigy series needs an ugly TSR). Yamaha YMF7x4 with running with the DSDMA TSR works in my experience on most chipsets with native PCI support, but it got some issues with games sometimes hangs on exit and it requires EMM386 just like SB PCI/Live!/Audigy series.
Kamerat
Oldbie

Postby ruthan » 2017-12-07 @ 20:55

For me also intel chipset is fine - at least 865 with my Conroe865PE board.

What are exactluy TSR and DSDMA TSR? Is there soemthing like diag utility or feature in specs to check if would be MB compatible with PCI DOS soundcards?
ruthan

Postby Jo22 » 2017-12-08 @ 11:54

ruthan wrote:What are exactluy TSR and DSDMA TSR? Is there soemthing like diag utility or feature in specs to check if would be MB compatible with PCI DOS soundcards?

In simple words, a TSR is a little background program. Device drivers in DOS are usually TSRs, too.
They can be called by DOS, put to sleep and, later-on, awakened again (they stay in memory all the time).

DSDMA.EXE is the name of a utility/driver thing that enables Distributed DMA (D-DMA) for certain sound cards.
Distributed DMA is a technique to -more or less- emulate the ancient ISA-DMA over the old PCI bus.
Technical details are described here.
Jo22
Oldbie

Postby Baoran » 2017-12-09 @ 23:49

I was just recently thinking of trying similar pci cards on asus striker II extreme motherboard and this thread made me wonder if it is a good idea. Does that motherboard have too new chipset when it comes to that emulation?
Baoran

Postby Kamerat » 2017-12-10 @ 03:53

ruthan wrote:For me also intel chipset is fine - at least 865 with my Conroe865PE board.

Yes, Sound Blaster PCI/Live!/Audigy works on boards on the ICH5 southbridge, but that's the last one for Intel.

ruthan wrote:Is there soemthing like diag utility or feature in specs to check if would be MB compatible with PCI DOS soundcards?

Not that I know of, but you can have a look at the spreadsheet listed in my signature or ask in the forum.

Jo22 wrote:DSDMA.EXE is the name of a utility/driver thing that enables Distributed DMA (D-DMA) for certain sound cards.

Not quite. The Yamaha DSDMA TSR is a replacement for motherboards not supporting DDMA or PC/PCI. In DDMA mode the Yamaha YMF7xx PCI series (and some other PCI sound cards) runs without any TSR, you just need to initialize it. You can often enable Sound Blaster support by just modifying some PCI registers.

Baoran wrote:I was just recently thinking of trying similar pci cards on asus striker II extreme motherboard and this thread made me wonder if it is a good idea. Does that motherboard have too new chipset when it comes to that emulation?

Nvidia chipsets are not very good for PCI sound cards under DOS just like Intel boards with ICH6 or newer. Yamaha YMF7xx or Aureal Vortex might work.
Kamerat
Oldbie

Postby Baoran » 2017-12-10 @ 04:22

I do have some other motherboard options for testing the sound cards for emulation. For example I could use one that has VIA K8T800Pro/VT8237 chipset if that works better.
Baoran

Postby Kamerat » 2017-12-10 @ 04:41

That's a much better option. It will work with Sound Blaster PCI/Live!/Audigy and probably ESS Solo-1 and Avance Logic ALS4000 too. The Solo-1 is really nice for DOS use.
Kamerat
Oldbie

Postby ruthan » 2017-12-15 @ 02:00

Yes, Sound Blaster PCI/Live!/Audigy works on boards on the ICH5 southbridge, but that's the last one for Intel.

The Yamaha DSDMA TSR is a replacement for motherboards not supporting DDMA or PC/PCI. In DDMA mode the Yamaha YMF7xx PCI series (and some other PCI sound cards) runs without any TSR, you just need to initialize it. You can often enable Sound Blaster support by just modifying some PCI registers.

Im trying to figure out what is wrong with newer board.. So its difference in some PCI registers values or adresses? Would be really nice to have some utility to test if some card could work with some board before buy such card, some old cards are quite expensive..
ruthan

Return to Sound