VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im looking to buy Dos and its hard to find and I would like to use something like 6.22 so it will be the most compatible for dos gaming and an SC55 for midi music that will run on a P2 500MHz CPU and a AWE64 and I have the chance to get 6.2 but I would like to know the main differences between Dos 6.2 and Dos 6.22 or does someone here in this forum have a 6.22 version that I can buy from them? I havnt used freedos yet but that is something im not interested in as my Dos PC is built fully retro and im trying to keep it that way

Reply 2 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it was because of Double Space / Drive Space. 6.20 came with Double Space. MS was sued by the maker of Stacker because of it. 6.21 then came with no disk compression at all. Finally, 6.22 had Drive Space instead, which was basically Double Space but now with licenced code usage.

Reply 4 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On a P2 I would go with the dos that ships with Win9x myself.
OK, its not the FULL dos OS but its only missing tools that you'll never use like disk compression, Anti virus, etc, Things that a dos gamming PC doesn't need anyway.
Plus you get Fat32 support, Remember Dos6.x is limited to 2GB partitions, bit of a pain on a 8GB or larger HDD.

That said I want to install a lighting fast dos/win3x system on a P2 even if it makes no sense really.

Reply 5 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS from Win9x doesn't miss any tools. Just copy the contents from the OLDMSDOS folder from the Windows 9x CD to \Windows\Command and everything is there. 😀

I like that DOS versions as well, as it gives you much cleaner startup files. No need for SET PATH, SET TEMP, SET PROMPT etc., as that is all done automatically.

Reply 6 of 9, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a boot disk from 98se could I copy that to the root of my C: formatted as Fat32 and then make a folder called ? Eg command or programs and copy all the files from C:\Windows\Command like the way derSammler said im just running games I have no need for anything else and would version of dos would it be 7.1?

Reply 7 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Basically, yes. Boot from that disk, do a format c: /s, copy command.com to c:\, and the rest to e.g. c:\dos. However, to have all DOS files, you need the OLDMSDOS folder from the Windows 9x CD and the files from c:\Windows\Command of an installed Win9x. You may also just extract the latter from the cab file.

Reply 8 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

Plus you get Fat32 support

Keep in mind that DOS 7.0 included with first version of Windows 95 (AKA Windows 95A) did not have FAT32 support.
FAT32 was introduced with DOS 7.1 included in Windows 95 OSR2 (AKA Windows 95B) and later in Windows 98 and 98SE.

Don't use DOS 8.0 from Windows Me because that's only trouble for no gain.

Reply 9 of 9, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just delete DRVSPACE.BIN and DBLSPACE.BIN ni your root directory, and you gain some memory, and have a functional dos without disc compression, that you most certainly dont use.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.