VOGONS

First post, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just today I managed to setup my HP Vectra 486 N2 system. System itself is in great condition and works flawlessly with Caldera Dr. DOS 7.03 installed. Problem is that it seems to be running in monochrome only. After running "smonitor c" (modechange tool originally for Trident GPU's) the system reports that the GPU is set to color mode and indeed there are some very light colors visible. You can barely see yellowish and blueish colors but no red or green. Playing around with color saturation, hue and other settings of the monitor didn't do the trick.
For enhanced compatibility I was forced to drill a small hole in the VGA port to allow for standard VGA cables. I did this as carefully as possible. My monitor is atm an all-in-one PC system from 2012 with VGA input.

Any ideas what's wrong here? Another thread here suggests to cut pin 12 of the VGA cable. Has this ever been a proper solution or is it just unproven second-hand knowledge?

CPU: Intel 486 DX2-66
GPU: Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434 (1MB)

Attachments

• IMG_8530.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8530.JPG
    File size
    73.18 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    DOOM2 Installation - colors missing
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_8532.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8532.JPG
    File size
    142.45 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    DOOM2
    File license
  • IMG_8533.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8533.JPG
    File size
    101.36 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    VGA Port
    File license

Reply 2 of 3, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The monitor and cable are fine. When plugging in my laptop I get a perfect image. I was just thinking, that probably I damaged the red channel pin inside the VGA connector when I drilled the hole but after studying the pinout I noticed that red is on pin 1 and therefore too far away that it somehow got hit...
Absolutely clueless right now...