VOGONS

Peixoto's patches for a few old games

Topic actions

Reply 121 of 890, by iriyap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you think you can make the following fixes for American McGee's Alice?

-- make the UI letter boxed (I've found where the whole UI width/height is set to screen width/height, and you can just set UI width to (screen height/3)*4 to make it letter boxed, but I don't know how to center it, and you will also need to offset in-game HUD (health/mana pools etc) to the sides as it will look bad simply centered, and also add a black background behind all fullscreen menus so that you can't see through the sides
-- fix the game crashing when making screenshots or saving (because of the thumbnail screenshots) when either width or height is not a power of 4, e.g. at a common laptop resolution of 1366x768. this is a common Quake 3 engine issue, maybe take a look at how it was fixed in various source ports. my current shitty temporary fix is either NOPing the screenshot function (since I don't understand much of it) or setting the game to 1364x768
-- disable the intro videos (a bit tricky, since the engine waits for them to play over and hangs up if you just NOP the video calls or disrupt them in any way)

Alice is one of my all time favorite games and I'd really love to see these issues fixed, especially the ugly HUD stretching.

I've done some poking around in the game code, and here's what I've found. Note that this is all for the original release of Alice, since I believe it is superior.

functions:
40E2F0 -- main menu scaling
40E43B -- set UI width
40E400 -- UI init
40FC70 -- game init, starting movies
4114C3 -- in-game HUD (health/mana/weapons etc)

memory addresses:
AA65EC -- UI width
AA65F0 -- UI height

(Oh and the default FOV is set in fgamex86.dll at offset 0x0a5590 (in file), it's a byte with the value of 180 (= FOV 90, essentially the game setting halved), patching this offset will stop the game from resetting your FOV on every map load, but you probably already know this).

Reply 122 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
catfromnesbox wrote:

can you fix this game called ''scarface the world is yours'' ? the game worked fine in older windows.

Sure, added to the list

iriyap wrote:

Do you think you can make the following fixes for American McGee's Alice? ...

The Disk version by default is forced to run at your monitor's native resolution. Just configure the game for 640x480 and the screenshoots won't crash the game: FOV and aspect ratio will be corrected for 16:9. Does this bug also happen in the remastered version? If it does, i will include forced resolution for it as well.

You can have an unstretched GUI changing the option:
HD=wide nofov
to
HD=wide nofov nostretch

but as you noticed, you get a lot of smal glitches that would need to be fixed, so i'am skipping that one

I'll see if i can force the FMVs to be skipped

Reply 124 of 890, by SalaciousCrumb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Could you fix a glitch in POP:WW and POP:T2T? Whenever I force AA through the NVIDIA Profile Inspector (be it OGSSAA, SGSSAA, TrSSAA etc.) the water effects stop rendering correctly. I've tried using different AA flags but to no avail. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the game engine. This issue is not present in POP:SoT.

Here are some clips for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2NXQwRR2YI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtCxXYBX4s

Reply 125 of 890, by cloudhaacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Peixoto, I haven't been on for a while - just got a new laptop and am in the process of getting all my games installed. I was working on Onimusha Warlords, and I'm having the same issue as RaZziel94 on Page 5. When I run the game in my native resolution (1920 x 1080) the game window is itty bitty. Cutscenes will play bigger if I enable that in your app. I tried running my desktop all the way down to 640 x 480, and that almost works for fullscreen, but there's ghosting all around things that move. I did try to copy the whole game and everything into a Windows 7 Virtual machine I have, and it runs fine in there, albeit a little slow (and no controller then) so it's something with the way Windows 10 or my Nvidia Graphics are handling the Directx8 calls I assume. If I use Wine3d for windows dll files with just the game, that slows things down, but I don't get all the other benefits from your patch. So I'm willing to do an apitrace for you and I can post a video too if that helps to show what's happening, but I can't figure out how to get apitrace to work now, I used it before when I talked to you months ago, but I just downloaded the new version and I guess I'm lost 🤣. Can you give me a hint as to what to do? Thanks for all your hard work, this patch program is something very special, and I feel bad that all you get is people asking for help or asking for other games 🤣. You are appreciated by many!

Reply 128 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iriyap wrote:

Maybe make the FMV's vert-, they seem to be some kind of widescreen.

SalaciousCrumb wrote:
Could you fix a glitch in POP:WW and POP:T2T? Whenever I force AA through the NVIDIA Profile Inspector (be it OGSSAA, SGSSAA, Tr […]
Show full quote

Could you fix a glitch in POP:WW and POP:T2T? Whenever I force AA through the NVIDIA Profile Inspector (be it OGSSAA, SGSSAA, TrSSAA etc.) the water effects stop rendering correctly. I've tried using different AA flags but to no avail. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the game engine. This issue is not present in POP:SoT.

Here are some clips for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2NXQwRR2YI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtCxXYBX4s

cloudhaacker wrote:

Hey Peixoto, I haven't been on for a while - just got a new laptop and am in the process of getting all my games installed. I was working on Onimusha Warlords, and I'm having the same issue as RaZziel94 on Page 5. When I run the game in my native resolution (1920 x 1080) the game window is itty bitty. Cutscenes will play bigger if I enable that in your app. I tried running my desktop all the way down to 640 x 480, and that almost works for fullscreen, but there's ghosting all around things that move. I did try to copy the whole game and everything into a Windows 7 Virtual machine I have, and it runs fine in there, albeit a little slow (and no controller then) so it's something with the way Windows 10 or my Nvidia Graphics are handling the Directx8 calls I assume. If I use Wine3d for windows dll files with just the game, that slows things down, but I don't get all the other benefits from your patch. So I'm willing to do an apitrace for you and I can post a video too if that helps to show what's happening, but I can't figure out how to get apitrace to work now, I used it before when I talked to you months ago, but I just downloaded the new version and I guess I'm lost 🤣. Can you give me a hint as to what to do? Thanks for all your hard work, this patch program is something very special, and I feel bad that all you get is people asking for help or asking for other games 🤣. You are appreciated by many!

In time, i will fix all of this. For onimusha, try this (https://reshade.me/forum/releases/419-d3d8to9) for the time being

I'm focused right now on DirectX 6 and earlier, so i can eventually release a version of the program that allows anyone to apply a few compatibility fixes and improvements to any game. Alice, Onimusha and POP are opengl, directx 8 and directx 9, so i will ask you guys to have a little patience

Reply 129 of 890, by cloudhaacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Peixoto, take your time - I'm very happy to wait, like I said - I very much appreciate all your hard work. The download link available on the site you linked to that they provide for that d3d8to9 is down, but it's archived in the wayback machine here https://web.archive.org/web/20170606170710/ht … hade.me/d3d8to9 and that worked a treat for now - I had to tell my laptop to use my Nvidia graphics, the integrated intel graphics wasn't working great still - it was showing right but there was graphic problems and the speed was slow. Now everything is fine. Thanks again!!

Reply 130 of 890, by Lifell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

Thanks for your work. I have however an issue with running Heart of Darkness with this patch. Running the game normally works.

Peixotos's patch remote settings:
32bit: 1
d3d: 1
d3D_Driver: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_d37ca5c2cde53609\nvldumd.dll
error_log: C:\Games\Heart of Darkness\Peixoto\error.log
frame: 1
hd: 1
injector_dir: C:\Games\Heart of Darkness\Peixoto
max_4x3_res: 1280x960
Mydocs: C:\Users\Lifell\Documents
os_version: 10.000000
resolutions_list: 640x480 720x480 720x576 800x600 1024x768 1152x864 1176x664 1280x720 1280x768 1280x800 1280x960 1280x1024 1360x768 1366x768 1600x900 1600x1024 1680x1050 1768x992 1920x1080 1440x900
script: scripts\HOD.ahk
script_hwnd: 0x130908
target: C:\Games\Heart Of Darkness\HODWin32.exe
target_dir: C:\Games\Heart Of Darkness
target_name: HODWin32.exe
upscale: 1

Desktop 1920x1080
Direct3D user mode driver implemented in C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_d37ca5c2cde53609\nvldumd.dll
OpenAdapter Hook 0
DirectDrawCreate Hook: 0
Succeeded to create DirectDraw
Succeeded to create Direct3D
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::restore
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::EndScene
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::EnumDisplayModes
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::Execute
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::CreateMatrix
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::SetViewPort
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::Clear
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::GetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::QueryInterface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetPixelFormat
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetSurfaceDesc
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::ReleaseDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::SetPalette
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::SetEntries
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::GetEntries
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetCooperativeLevel
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetCooperativeLevel
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface2::flip
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface2::blt
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface2::GetAttachedSurface

This is what the error.log gives me.

My steps:

1. Install game from disk.
2. Set everything to run as administrator in the compatibility settings (right click on .exe > properties > compatibility tab)
3. Download .zip file (this patch).
4. Unblock the zip in properties (right click on .zip > properties > check unblock > apply > ok)
5. Extract to C:\Games\Heart of Darkness\Peixoto (I tried C:\Games\Heart of Darkness as well)
6. Set every .exe in Peixoto folder to run as Administrator
7. Open "Help.exe". Set both options on and click start. I also tried to uncheck "Enable Upscaling".

So I run the shortcut on my desktop or I press start. It shows a command prompt window with the text above and exits after the line "Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface2::GetAttachedSurface". Nothing happens. Event viewer is not showing anything regarding crashing or what not.

My OS is Windows 10 64 bit. I don't know if it matters but it never asked for the folder where Heart of Darkness is installed. Also, in the NVIDIA Control Panel I've set it to not do any scaling.

Reply 131 of 890, by David_OSU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Peixoto for sharing these patches with the community. I applied your patch to Tomb Raider 2 along with the high resolution textures (from IOS) and the remastered cutscenes. Game looks much better now.

Reply 134 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lifell wrote:
Hello! […]
Show full quote

Hello!

Thanks for your work. I have however an issue with running Heart of Darkness with this patch. Running the game normally works.

Peixotos's patch remote settings:
32bit: 1
d3d: 1
d3D_Driver: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_d37ca5c2cde53609\nvldumd.dll
error_log: C:\Games\Heart of Darkness\Peixoto\error.log
frame: 1
hd: 1
injector_dir: C:\Games\Heart of Darkness\Peixoto
max_4x3_res: 1280x960
Mydocs: C:\Users\Lifell\Documents
os_version: 10.000000
resolutions_list: 640x480 720x480 720x576 800x600 1024x768 1152x864 1176x664 1280x720 1280x768 1280x800 1280x960 1280x1024 1360x768 1366x768 1600x900 1600x1024 1680x1050 1768x992 1920x1080 1440x900
script: scripts\HOD.ahk
script_hwnd: 0x130908
target: C:\Games\Heart Of Darkness\HODWin32.exe
target_dir: C:\Games\Heart Of Darkness
target_name: HODWin32.exe
upscale: 1

Desktop 1920x1080
Direct3D user mode driver implemented in C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_d37ca5c2cde53609\nvldumd.dll
OpenAdapter Hook 0
DirectDrawCreate Hook: 0
Succeeded to create DirectDraw
Succeeded to create Direct3D
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::restore
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::EndScene
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::EnumDisplayModes
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::Execute
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::CreateMatrix
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::SetViewPort
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::Clear
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::GetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::QueryInterface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetPixelFormat
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetSurfaceDesc
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::ReleaseDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::SetPalette
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::SetEntries
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::GetEntries
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetCooperativeLevel
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetCooperativeLevel
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface2::flip
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface2::blt
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface2::GetAttachedSurface

This is what the error.log gives me.

My steps:

1. Install game from disk.
2. Set everything to run as administrator in the compatibility settings (right click on .exe > properties > compatibility tab)
3. Download .zip file (this patch).
4. Unblock the zip in properties (right click on .zip > properties > check unblock > apply > ok)
5. Extract to C:\Games\Heart of Darkness\Peixoto (I tried C:\Games\Heart of Darkness as well)
6. Set every .exe in Peixoto folder to run as Administrator
7. Open "Help.exe". Set both options on and click start. I also tried to uncheck "Enable Upscaling".

So I run the shortcut on my desktop or I press start. It shows a command prompt window with the text above and exits after the line "Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface2::GetAttachedSurface". Nothing happens. Event viewer is not showing anything regarding crashing or what not.

My OS is Windows 10 64 bit. I don't know if it matters but it never asked for the folder where Heart of Darkness is installed. Also, in the NVIDIA Control Panel I've set it to not do any scaling.

Sorry for the late response
Can you double check if you don't have a wrapper like dgvoodo installed in the game's directory ?
The is a new version coming soon with some improvements in the emulation of 8 bit color mode, it might solve your problem

David_OSU wrote:

Thanks Peixoto for sharing these patches with the community. I applied your patch to Tomb Raider 2 along with the high resolution textures (from IOS) and the remastered cutscenes. Game looks much better now.

You're welcome

missperkins wrote:

Are these patches easy to install? I'd like to install the resident evil 2 patch.

Installation is just extracting the zip file wherever you want in your computer, but if you're not willing to read the (brief) help page include for the game you're gonna get trouble

Reply 135 of 890, by Lifell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peixoto wrote:
Sorry for the late response Can you double check if you don't have a wrapper like dgvoodo installed in the game's directory ? T […]
Show full quote
Lifell wrote:

Hello!
*snip*

Sorry for the late response
Can you double check if you don't have a wrapper like dgvoodo installed in the game's directory ?
The is a new version coming soon with some improvements in the emulation of 8 bit color mode, it might solve your problem

Hey, no problem. It was christmas and new year after all. I don't have anything regarding dgvoodoo installed. I did have nglide but uninstalling it didn't do anything. I've added an attachment with the a screenshot of the files in my Heart of Darkness folder. I'm not exactly sure how dgvoodoo exactly works but I do know it's a glide wrapper.

It's kind of hard to find out if this patch works for others. Heart of Darkness isn't exactly a popular game. I honestly don't even know if it's still purchasable. I'll wait for the new version then.

Attachments

• Heart of Darkness.png
    Filename
    Heart of Darkness.png
    File size
    60.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 136 of 890, by cloudhaacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lifell, Your folder looks different for Heart of Darkness than mine. Does your game work without the patch? I have my copy of the disc that I made into an iso so I can mount it whenever I want to play, and I have to have it mounted. Peixoto's patch works for mine if I try it, but I can't get the black bars to stay on screen 🤣 so I can see my desktop. I don't have those csm dll files in mine. Try taking those out temporarily and see if that makes it work.

Reply 137 of 890, by cloudhaacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lifell, I think I know how your trying to play (found the game in the "zone" perhaps? 😀 ) So I would still try moving those dll files to see if that makes a difference, otherwise I wonder if you need to try a different version. I just tried the one I found that seems similar to yours and it still worked, so I'm not sure what could be the problem. Did you apply the registry file? that might be the problem too - I'm not sure what all the options in the registry file do. Peixoto's patch may be trying to correct things that the registry file is trying to fix too.

Reply 138 of 890, by Lifell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using my disc I used years ago. My game works fine without the patch and there are very few issues. It's kinda weird but this game works better on Windows 10 than on Windows 7. I don't know what you mean with the registry file. I'm guessing it has something to do with the "zone" you talked about?

EDIT: I renamed the files to <filename>.dll.bak and the game didn't start with or without the Peixoto patch. There are no entries of crashing or what not in the event viewer log
EDIT2: I opened HOD_README.txt and it seems the version of the game is V1.1. is that the same version?

Reply 139 of 890, by cloudhaacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry Lifell, I guess I just assumed you downloaded the game because your folder layout was different than mine, and so I went and found one online that was downloaded and it had those files you had so I just assumed. Sorry! I checked my readme and my version is 1.4, so maybe that is the difference? The registry thing was for that downloaded version, so don't worry about that. Although I will say, because of that I found a way to edit the registry and copy some files to the game folder from the disc so I can play without my cd mounted anymore. Hopefully Peixoto's work that he's doing on the 8 bit color mode helps your version - I just tried to look and I can't find anything about patching the game from 1.1 to 1.4. If you have color problems, before I used Peixoto's patch I used to use PalletteStealerSuspender and that helped the color problems I used to have. Good luck, Heart of Darkness is a great game - I still enjoy firing up sometimes!