VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Today after having been annoyed by them for quite awhile I've removed two sites from my RSS reader (The Old Reader):

Dig
I tend to stay away from web sites that intentionally dig up controversy and this is one of them. The video posts annoy me as well. GONE!

The A.V. Club
The reviews are nice but again with the controversy and the comments are just getting ridiculous. GONE!

Anyone have any other sites that should be avoided?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slashdot
Design changes and promotional stories and the comments of course. The new owners also blatantly misuse DEC's logo for unrelated stories because the word 'digital' is involved and that means anything. Disgusting!

TiA
Piracy ghetto. Imagine if a library had new owners and and a check-out just means a run to the new copier room built at the enterance and you don't need a card, and all those bringing in new stuff for the library are sketchy street vendors

TVTropes
One day it decided that everything should be a blank white page for my not-quantum-chrome browser.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 19, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Almost every game enthusiast site because I disagree so much with the general attitude over things like 'Walking Simulators' being legit games, DRM such as Steam and others being A-OK, and the general social justice warrior agenda pushing that almost all game and other media sites seem to do.

Facebook, I've never been super into facebook but now I cant even find a moment when I feel like I care to even look at it. I must have friends on there that think I'm ignoring them but whatever.

Reply 3 of 19, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Vogons.org

I swear, every time I'm on this site I see a post about a cool retro part and I end up spending money I don't have. 😐

This.

😉

Reply 4 of 19, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Retro Gaming Radio which was discontinued long ago. It looks like the site is being redesigned but I doubt that heralds the shows return. Current show link only lists a few shows that are over 11 years old.

Reply 5 of 19, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anandtech.
It's too hard to tell actual reviews from "news" at a glance. I just go to Toms, Tech Report, and Guru3D for most of my modern hardware reviews now. There was also a time that Anandtech reviewed only super high-end hardware, stuff I could never afford. Don't know if that's still the case these days.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 19, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Slashdot
Design changes and promotional stories and the comments of course. The new owners also blatantly misuse DEC's logo for unrelated stories because the word 'digital' is involved and that means anything. Disgusting!

Ditto. Reddit has obliterated Slashdot in terms of features, content and clean fast design. Slashdot is just bloated irrelevance these days.

Follow me on twitter

Reply 10 of 19, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

YouTube
I used to go there a lot when I was a kid, let's just say that because I had an account there when I was a little too young, my experience there was hard to bear with to the point where I got mad at people unsubscribing from my channel because some idiot (who will not be named) posted a hate video about me. It used to be a good site with videos that were worth watching until it became a cesspool full of hateful people and stupid stuff. I rarely watch videos there now.

Wikia
One pure example on how bad advertising can get. Like most people I'm rather picky when it comes to ad-supported websites and Wikia takes the cake on a site that goes a little overboard on advertising to the point where there are ads that bypass Adblock (there's a reason why I have it you know). Heck, I remember the excessive advertisements ate enough resources to slow down my Core i3 laptop which is supposed to be suitable for web browsing. So I try to avoid Wikia as much as possible.

Not really much else I can think of ATM, but those were the two that came to mind right off the bat.

Jade Falcon wrote:

Vogons.org

I swear, every time I'm on this site I see a post about a cool retro part and I end up spending money I don't have. 😐

Looks like someone has realized what we all go through here. 😵

Reply 11 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That reminds me, what was the deal a few years ago with Flash videos on websites consuming 100% CPU utilization? Was this done deliberately to push people away from using flash?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 12 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, flash has always done that, even back in 2003 when this became out of control with the more frequent rise of 'imported-an-avi-for-a-jpeg-image-sequence' flash ads eppearing multiple times. (multiple Fileplanet lines were not fun).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3dfxZone.it. Used to be one of my most favorite forums, but everything just went slower and slower.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 14 of 19, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

3dfxZone.it. Used to be one of my most favorite forums, but everything just went slower and slower.

Same here, it was a grate site, but like most 3dfx sites the user base left and now its mostly a ghost site.

Reply 15 of 19, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Same here, it was a grate site, but like most 3dfx sites the user base left and now its mostly a ghost site.

Which is rather sad, but inevitable.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 17 of 19, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reddit.

Used to use Reddit a lot, a lot of the popular subreddits just went in directions I don't like. These days I just stick to smaller, enthusiast subreddits where everything stays on-topic and it doesn't get political, meme-y or spammy/circlejerking over whatever the latest "thing" is like other ones I used to visit.

Even then I am finding myself spending more and more time in their Discord channels as opposed to the actual subreddits since it's much easier to converse and discuss in real time.

Reply 18 of 19, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
x0zm_ wrote:

Used to use Reddit a lot, a lot of the popular subreddits just went in directions I don't like. These days I just stick to smaller, enthusiast subreddits where everything stays on-topic and it doesn't get political, meme-y or spammy/circlejerking over whatever the latest "thing" is like other ones I used to visit.

Agreed. The big popular subreddits are just terrible and have been for years. Sticking to the smaller, more focused subreddits with good moderation is IMHO the only way to get anything worthwhile out of Reddit at all. I make some exceptions for local region subreddits (e.g. /r/toronto since I live in Toronto), but even these can be bad (as /r/toronto often is ...). It's a real night and day difference looking at the homepage when I'm logged in versus not logged in.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 19 of 19, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The bigger subs get destroyed over time (in terms of content). r/NFL and r/hockey were great several years ago. Now they're still good for football and hockey news and such; but the comment threads are the same 5 rehashed jokes, memes, etc. over and over again.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif