VOGONS

Connecting DOS Machine to LAN

Topic actions

First post, by xDeathCon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently acquired a Linksys ether 16 ISA card for use to connect to my network so I can transfer files or play multiplayer games. I need it for file transfer due to the fact that my CD-ROM drive is dead and my floppy drive is failing. It takes forever to get files onto the PC through floppy. I managed to get LAN Manager 2.2 on the computer. Now I'm having trouble configuring it to work.

The card is NE2000 or Compatible. My network uses DHCP. The router is also Linksys. A Linksys EA6500. I don't know what settings I have done wrong. Does anyone know how to configure this?

EDIT: I tried both LAN Manager and MS-Client. The error I keep getting on all the protocols is "unable to bind". All similar models are NE2000 Compatible. I choose this and everything seems to work except the protocols. I'll post some pictures of things that could help...

Some IRQ data and stuff...
IMG_20171211_193714.jpg

Some basic computer info...
IMG_20171211_194024.jpg

This " unable to bind" happens using both MS-Client and LAN Manager
IMG_20171211_173220.jpg

Last edited by xDeathCon on 2017-12-12, 02:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 38, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always use the MS-Client 3.0.
Extract both Images and copy it to one disk.
If your Adapter is compatible it should work right out of the box.
Don't Forget to "add Protokoll" and choose "tcpip".
I delete the content the msclient copies in the autoexec.bat.
I creat a lan.bat and start this when I want to have a Network Connection.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 2 of 38, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Windows 3.11 + Microsoft TCP/IP-32 3.11b + Total Commander. Win 3.11 has drivers for my 3COM 3C509 built-in.

Files are hosted via FTP on my headless Intel NUC running Ubuntu and vsftpd.

The Win 3.11 PC is connected to $5 Asus router configured in repeater mode so that I can have Wi-Fi on my retro machine.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 38, by xDeathCon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote:
I always use the MS-Client 3.0. Extract both Images and copy it to one disk. If your Adapter is compatible it should work right […]
Show full quote

I always use the MS-Client 3.0.
Extract both Images and copy it to one disk.
If your Adapter is compatible it should work right out of the box.
Don't Forget to "add Protokoll" and choose "tcpip".
I delete the content the msclient copies in the autoexec.bat.
I creat a lan.bat and start this when I want to have a Network Connection.

Does this client enable NetBIOS?

OK it does.

Reply 8 of 38, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xDeathCon wrote:

Edited main post. Still doesn't work.

Try to find packet driver for you card. If you'll not be able to find driver for this particulal D-Link Card, try NE2000 one.

http://www.crynwr.com/drivers/
http://www.georgpotthast.de/sioux/packet.htm

If your card is PNP, you can check it's presence in Speedsys 4.78. Just run it, cancel tests and press 'I'
Maybe there is dedicated tool for your card which let's you configure the parameters. Most of the ISA/PCI network adapters have such a tool.
If I remember correctly for RTL8019 you can choose between NE2000 compatibility and native mode.

Check if card is properly detected. If it is, I have two proposals:
- setup ftp server somewhere in your lan (for windows FileZilla is the simplest one), and try ftp client built-in Necromancer DOS Navigator direct link for sfx archive
- if you have linux machine, try EtherDFS it works great (even if network share is not on FAT partition, just make sure to rename all files to 8+3 DOS limitation + all lowercase).

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 9 of 38, by xDeathCon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zyga64 wrote:
Try to find packet driver for you card. If you'll not be able to find driver for this particulal D-Link Card, try NE2000 one. […]
Show full quote
xDeathCon wrote:

Edited main post. Still doesn't work.

Try to find packet driver for you card. If you'll not be able to find driver for this particulal D-Link Card, try NE2000 one.

http://www.crynwr.com/drivers/
http://www.georgpotthast.de/sioux/packet.htm

If your card is PNP, you can check it's presence in Speedsys 4.78. Just run it, cancel tests and press 'I'
Maybe there is dedicated tool for your card which let's you configure the parameters. Most of the ISA/PCI network adapters have such a tool.
If I remember correctly for RTL8019 you can choose between NE2000 compatibility and native mode.

Check if card is properly detected. If it is, I have two proposals:
- setup ftp server somewhere in your lan (for windows FileZilla is the simplest one), and try ftp client built-in Necromancer DOS Navigator direct link for sfx archive
- if you have linux machine, try EtherDFS it works great (even if network share is not on FAT partition, just make sure to rename all files to 8+3 DOS limitation + all lowercase).

I tried that like you said. It didn't detect the card in PNP.
IMG_20171212_204625.jpg
If it's not detecting in PNP, what do I try?

Reply 10 of 38, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xDeathCon wrote:
I tried that like you said. It didn't detect the card in PNP. https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/354724755946995717/390319 […]
Show full quote

IMG_20171212_204625.jpg

Looks like this card isn't PNP. Somebody struggled with similar problem here in vogons: thread.
If this card is identical like in the mentioned thread - I can't see any jumpers here. So, only way to set it up is to run configuration program.
I would ask DoomGuy II for this program. There you could check/set IRQ, which should be reserved in BIOS as 'LEGACY ISA'.

After all, if the 'period correctness isn't required I would get one of those 'dirt chip' Realtek RTL8139 PCI adapters.
There are DOS driver for it even on Realtek site.

Reply 11 of 38, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xDeathCon wrote:

[...]

Looks like this card isn't PNP. Somebody struggled with similar problem here in vogons: thread.
If this card is identical like the one in the mentioned thread - I can't see any jumpers there. So, only way to set it up is to run configuration program.
I would ask DoomGuy II for this program. There you could check/set IRQ, which should be reserved in BIOS as 'LEGACY ISA'.

After all, if the 'period correctness' isn't required I would get one of those 'dirt chip' Realtek RTL8139 PCI adapters.
There are DOS drivers for it on Realtek site.

Reply 12 of 38, by xDeathCon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zyga64 wrote:
Looks like this card isn't PNP. Somebody struggled with similar problem here in vogons: thread. If this card is identical like […]
Show full quote
xDeathCon wrote:

[...]

If this card is identical like the one in the mentioned thread - I can't see any jumpers there. So, only way to set it up is to run configuration program.

After all, if the 'period correctness' isn't required I would get one of those 'dirt chip' Realtek RTL8139 PCI adapters.
There are DOS drivers for it on Realtek site.

The BIOS had been treating all ISA slots as PnP. I set it to auto now, but I don't know anything the card is using. I will try to contact DoomGuy II, but I read further down the post that the setup program might be for a later version card. I see an error now of the hardware not responding for it when MS-Client tries to load. It'd help a lot if I could figure out what the card uses.

Also, I'll mention that I do own a Gateway Windows 98 with a couple ISA slots. I don't know if it will change anything, but I can put it in there if I need to.

Reply 13 of 38, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Second mTCP FTP.... just nab that and an NE2000 packet driver and you're set. Grab the NE2000 one here; works well http://www.georgpotthast.de/sioux/packet.htm

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 14 of 38, by xDeathCon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

Second mTCP FTP.... just nab that and an NE2000 packet driver and you're set. Grab the NE2000 one here; works well http://www.georgpotthast.de/sioux/packet.htm

The card isn't plug and play and has no jumpers. I need to know the card's IRQ, interrupts, and I/O base. I can't just use that without the right settings.

Reply 15 of 38, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xDeathCon wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

The card isn't plug and play and has no jumpers. I need to know the card's IRQ, interrupts, and I/O base. I can't just use that without the right settings.

In the past (circa 1998), I've been using unknown brand NE2000 card in my PC (PCChips M729, Celeron 266).
If I remember correctly it was running with typical IRQ/IO - IRQ10, 0x300.
Playing with jumpers using trial and error method allows me set it up to IRQ3 (after disabling COM2).

What comes to mind is to install Windows95/98 temporarily. It tries to detect PNP and nonPNP devices during installation.
You may check IRQ/IO in device manager then. (Unfortunatelly I don't remember if it shows resources if driver isn't installed).

Reply 16 of 38, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xDeathCon wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Non-PnP cards without jumpers have their own config tool - did you look for that? I bet there's a small serial EEPROM (9346 or 25xx), and corresponding tool can modify its content to force the card use certain IO and IRQ.

Reply 17 of 38, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

maybe this thread will help Need a NE2000 setup/config program

and 9x has built in NE2000 drivers

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 18 of 38, by xDeathCon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kubik wrote:
xDeathCon wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Non-PnP cards without jumpers have their own config tool - did you look for that? I bet there's a small serial EEPROM (9346 or 25xx), and corresponding tool can modify its content to force the card use certain IO and IRQ.

My issue lies in that my floppy drive is failing and the CD drive is broken. If I knew of the setup program it'd help a lot. I wish the card had come with the setup disk. I don't know if the card has previously been reprogrammed or not.

Reply 19 of 38, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure what machine are you using, but if it got full DOS 6.22, you can use interlnk/intersrv to exchange files with another computer. You can add CF card in CF-IDE adapter and copy necessary files to it using cheap USB card reader. You can remove the HDD and use USB-IDE bridge to copy files to it. You can use LapLink... etc etc.
Anyway - would you mind posting a good picture of your card so we can find out more?
Is it by any chance this one? Trying to set up Linksys Ether16 LAN Card Non-PNP