VOGONS

PCEm. Another PC emulator.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 920 of 1046, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem with the right alt not working with pcem in wine is to do with it getting mapped on this layout to iso_level3_shift instead of alt_r, which apparently is correct but pcem doesn't know to anticipate it. Mapping it manually with xmodmap to alt_r makes it work with pcem but breaks it elsewhere.

I sorted the linux version's compile errors, but the finished binary bails out saying it can't locate roms. The roms are there and work with the windows version, so sounds like a path/filename issue. No doubt I can get it to work with more time spent on it, but in general I think precompiled pcem binaries for linux should be a thing. Target and test for something popular like ubuntu where users don't want to build software from sources, and make messing with the compiler a fallback.

Reply 921 of 1046, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since V13's out now i'm making this old video about its AudioPCI emulation public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiKxeCJ3BpE

The crackling's only apparent when OALSoft's used

Last edited by leileilol on 2017-12-13, 02:02. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 922 of 1046, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Since V13's out now i'm making this old video about its AudioPCI emulation public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiKxeCJ3BpE

Do you have to use the DOS Soundblaster/Soundscape emulation TSR for the AudioPCI work in DOS?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 923 of 1046, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes though i haven't tried any of the soundscape emulation stuff yet, i'm not certain if the drivers i've tried support that. I mostly tried the 2000-2002 creative drivers

There's even the bug with Epic's dos pcm-playing games that also shows the same difference using the later WDM driver.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 927 of 1046, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK, no emulators risk to include copyrighted ROMs (or at least ROMs they haven't secured permission to distribute). Official versions of PCem only included MDA.ROM and xt-ide ones.

PCem 13 doesn't seem to include xt-ide (I don't know if it's still needed, because RLL disks are supported now) and there is a new zip file to download because MDA.ROM was not included in the first zip released. Every other ROM is not included, so you'll need to get it from your own computers or get it from elsewhere.

BTW, it you had a working earlier PCem, you can copy the ROMs from there.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 928 of 1046, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:

AFAIK, no emulators risk to include copyrighted ROMs (or at least ROMs they haven't secured permission to distribute). Official versions of PCem only included MDA.ROM and xt-ide ones.

PCem 13 doesn't seem to include xt-ide (I don't know if it's still needed, because RLL disks are supported now) and there is a new zip file to download because MDA.ROM was not included in the first zip released. Every other ROM is not included, so you'll need to get it from your own computers or get it from elsewhere.

Ok I'm still waiting for another version to emulate a ATi Rage pro.

Reply 929 of 1046, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looked into why pcem linux wasn't finding roms. Seems it's because it wants them primarily in ~/.pcem. I'm annoyed when programs do this. I want them to run in the folder I put them in, not create duplicate hidden folders in my home directory and get upset when I don't put files there.

The code seems to use get_pcem_path() to get the program's directory. For the windows version it returns the directory the program was run, but for the linux version it returns the user's home dir. Is there a reason for this? For now, I changed the linux version to use wx's getcwd for the current working directory, and also commented out a call to add_config_callback() in paths_init() to seemingly prevent pcem from looking for paths in the cfg file. get_pcem_path() ignores the buffer size, by the way.

Reply 930 of 1046, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:

How am I going to make the roms from my real hardware?

Reply 931 of 1046, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DOSfan1994 wrote:

You basically need an EEPROM reader to read the contents of the BIOS ROM chip.
On most 286 and higher CPU's, you can try a utility called Navrátil System Information (NSSI 0.60).
This utility has the option to read and save the BIOS ROM contents of the motherboard BIOS and also the video card's BIOS.
However, as alluded to in previous posts, you can find these online (if you know where to look).
PCem will also tell you (refer to each subfolder) what the name of the ROM is that it will look for.

Reply 932 of 1046, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote:
You basically need an EEPROM reader to read the contents of the BIOS ROM chip. On most 286 and higher CPU's, you can try a util […]
Show full quote
DOSfan1994 wrote:

On most 286 and higher CPU's, you can try a utility called Navrátil System Information (NSSI 0.60).
This utility has the option to read and save the BIOS ROM contents of the motherboard BIOS and also the video card's BIOS.
However, as alluded to in previous posts, you can find these online (if you know where to look).
PCem will also tell you (refer to each subfolder) what the name of the ROM is that it will look for.

How easy is it? How will I make my rom file and how will it work? How do I get the Natratile system information ?
I bet I can make a ATi Rage pro rom with those.

Reply 933 of 1046, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DOSfan1994 wrote:
jesolo wrote:
You basically need an EEPROM reader to read the contents of the BIOS ROM chip. On most 286 and higher CPU's, you can try a util […]
Show full quote
DOSfan1994 wrote:

How easy is it? How will I make my rom file and how will it work? How do I get the Natratile system information ?
I bet I can make a ATi Rage pro rom with those.

Depends on whether you want to use an EEPROM reader or the NSSI utility.
With an EEPROM reader you need to physically remove the BIOS chip(s) from your motherboard and then insert it into the EEPROM reader.
You can then save the contents to a file.

NSSI makes the process considerably easier, since you don't need to physically remove the BIOS chip.
NSSI can be obtained from their website (http://www.navsoft.cz/products.htm).
This is essentially a DOS based utility and you can extract your BIOS contents by going under the "Tools" menu.
The file is normally saved (with the extension "*.BIO".) in the same folder where the NSSI program files are located.
You then just rename that BIOS file to the name that PCem would expect and place it in the appropriate PCem subfolder.

I suggest that you rather go onto the PCem website and asks PCem specific questions on that forum (most of your questions would already have been answered there): https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/

Reply 934 of 1046, by DOSfan1994

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to say this Jesolo, but you see I got banned from there about a year ago.
Because I was asking too much questions about if Voodoo 2 is GDI compatible. Because there was this old LEGO pc game called "Lego creator" I would like to play how it originally was played on. I wanted to get like better framerates by using the voodoo 2 (with the SLI) but when PCem v12 was released I tried it with a Mach 64x and a voodoo 2 on windows 95 and it did not use the voodoo 2 card it still stayed on software. After that I felt guilty and realized the truth that Leileilol was right, I'd wished I believed him more and Sarahwalker too. Now I have to wait until PCem emulates an ATi rage pro or a Savage 4 3d card to get better GDI frame rates so I can put in a whole lot a models in my world.

Reply 935 of 1046, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vvbee wrote:

Looked into why pcem linux wasn't finding roms. Seems it's because it wants them primarily in ~/.pcem. I'm annoyed when programs do this. I want them to run in the folder I put them in, not create duplicate hidden folders in my home directory and get upset when I don't put files there.

The code seems to use get_pcem_path() to get the program's directory. For the windows version it returns the directory the program was run, but for the linux version it returns the user's home dir. Is there a reason for this?

Because numerous Linux users were asking for it. I guess you can't please everyone...

Reply 936 of 1046, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't. As you say, majority opinion tends to get features in, so it's expected that people will voice their preferences. In this case it appears straightforward to overturn the majority by editing the code, so it doesn't matter so much.

I looked at the linux version's launcher gui, and specifically in relation to config file names. If you use the gui to rename a machine to have a . in the name, then run it, pcem duplicates the config, replaces its contents with defaults and cuts the file name at the .. If the machine name starts with a ., pcem can't find its config file. If the machine name is long enough, the gui's list box is resized to overlap/hide the 'load' and 'configure' buttons without the window getting resized to fit, or a scroll bar appearing. This could be specific to my distro, ubuntu mate 16.04 with marco/no compositor. If the machine name has certain special characters like one of §öä£, the gui's machine list shows an unnamed item that'll run a default config. If you rename an existing machine in the gui to have one those characters, the config's filename gets cut to just '.cfg'.

Reply 938 of 1046, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While I can't edit my post atm I'd also like to point out my personal git repsoitory for some crt shaders to use with PCem's OpenGL3 backend:

https://github.com/leilei-/someshaders

Most of it are just presets on crt-easymode-halation though i've modified that crt shader to have some additional tweaks to make it more monitory.

apsosig.png
long live PCem