VOGONS

First post, by HoneyBadger1650

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not positive if this is the correct place for this kind of question, but it seemed the most fitting to me.
I'm running Windows 95 ver 4.00.950a with IE 5.5 installed. This PC is connected to a wireless bridge via ethernet, as is my 2TB Seagate GoFlex Home NAS system. The NAS can be seen by all computers in the household including the Win 95 PC (If I open Network Neighborhood, it lists the Goflex twice, but that's normal.). Normally what I would do on a "modern" PC (being anything from XP on up to 10) is open the Network tab of Windows Explorer, enter my credentials for the NAS, and select my share folder. This folder would then have all my other folders (documents, program executables, music, etc.) shown on screen and I could navigate them like you would any other drive. The NAS doesn't require any special client side software like the included Seagate Dashboard in order to work, and I always just access the drive like I mentioned previously: by it being detected automatically by the network as a file server. My problem, however, is this: when I try and access the drive through Network Neighborhood on my Win 95 PC, all I can see is the print server (which is set up as well with my printer connected to the USB port on the back of the NAS). I've come up with the reason for me not being able to see the share names is due to the lack of NTFS support in Windows 95. To combat this, I typed the drive's network address into a Windows Explorer address bar. Once I do this and I bring myself to the "root" directory of my desired share folder, however, I'm unable to double click on any of the folders. Instead, an error message appears stating "The network name cannot be found". I can access the folders directly by typing the folder name in the address bar, but it doesn't seem like that's the right way to go about accessing files. Whats more, I can't run any executable files from these folders at all. instead, I have to copy the individual folder or file to the PC's hard drive, and that completely negates the use of the network drive entirely. I could just as easily remove the CF card which is acting as the HDD and plug it into my Win 10 PC, copy the files I need, and run them from there. With a 2GB CF card, this creates a space shortage. Being able to run these programs straight off the NAS like I did with a prior Windows 98 installation (on the same PC mind you) would help this storage shortage tremendously. I'm very comfortable with networking on modern OS's, but as for 95, 98, etc. I've never really worked with their networking in depth to know how to solve this kind of problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and please let me know if I need to add any information!

Reply 1 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Its strange Win98 works but Win95 doesn't? But that doesn't help.
Windows is pretty bad with hostnames, instead in the address bar I would type \\192.168.0.1 (or whatever the IP is)
I would think (hope) it then shows the shares.

Skim read of the NAS manual doesn't look like you have much control over which protocols are used for sharing IE SMB1 or SMB2 and I'm guessing that's what Win95 doesn't like.
The manual did say it supports FTP though, so you could enable that, Windows does support FTP folders although it is slow. This may work better with Upgrading IE as well as that's what its uses.

Reply 2 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've come up with the reason for me not being able to see the share names is due to the lack of NTFS support in Windows 95.
To combat this, I typed the drive's network address into a Windows Explorer address bar. Once I do this and I bring myself to the
"root" directory of my desired share folder, however, I'm unable to double click on any of the folders.

As far as I know, the file system represented by the NAS is NFS, so no native NTFS support is required on the client side. 😀

Whats more, I can't run any executable files from these folders at all. instead, I have to copy the individual folder or file
to the PC's hard drive, and that completely negates the use of the network drive entirely.

Same happened to me with virtual machines (VirtualBox) and more modern guests (XP, 7). 🙁

I'm very comfortable with networking on modern OS's, but as for 95, 98, etc. I've never really worked with their
networking in depth to know how to solve this kind of problem.

One of the issues is the fact that Win9x uses old SMB versions and outdated encryption (no wonder, it's well over 20 years old) .
On top of that, the security model is totally different (permissions "per folder" on 9x and "per user" on NT or *nix).

As a workaround, for example, you can try do set the NAS to a lower encryption/SMB level. Or use FTP, maybe.
Or install a VM with Windows 2000/XP/Linux - old versions of Connectix Virtual PC ran on Win98, too.

Edit: I just remembered an old thread. I once got Win95 to communicate with Win7.
No idea, if this is useful in conjunction with NAS'es, though. Anyway, here it is
- Maybe some of the links contain useful information at least: Windows 98 PC suddenly stopped appearing in the Network on my main (Windows 7) PC

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 4, by HoneyBadger1650

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

Its strange Win98 works but Win95 doesn't? But that doesn't help.
Windows is pretty bad with hostnames, instead in the address bar I would type \\192.168.0.1 (or whatever the IP is)
I would think (hope) it then shows the shares.

I tried that to no avail. I did some thinking and figured that if the NAS was using FTP, then I should be able to type "ftp://192.168.x.x" in Windows Explorer and have it be able to access the drive that way (I remembered that's how the example for Web Folders in Win98 was set up so it could work in 95 as well). It pulled up an FTP log in box (which surprisingly hasn't seemed to have changed at all since 95 as it looks identical in Windows 10, old icons and all), and displayed all the share names. Got read and write access too! So problem solved.
Thanks for your help!