VOGONS

Common searches

missing z prompt

Topic actions

First post, by Harve White

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HELP!!! When I first loaded DoxBox on my Windows 10 computer it worked perfectly. Within 2 weeks, when I would bring it up it would load but without a z prompt. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it from the original compressed file I had used the first time. Still no z prompt. I uninstalled it again, went back online and d/l'ed another copy. When I unzipped it and reinstalled it, the SAME thing happened. No z prompt. I do not know what to do now. What do you suggest?

Reply 2 of 29, by Harve White

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Reset your conf to defaults?

Thank you for your quick response. How do I do that? I have Windows 10. Do I reset the operating system to default? Please give me a step by step if you can (or tell me where to go to get a step by step). Thanks

Reply 4 of 29, by Harve White

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It didn't work. I tried what you suggested from the start menu and also went into the DosBox folder and double clicked on Reset Options.bat and that did not work either. What's the next thing I should try? (by the way, I appreciate your help).

Reply 6 of 29, by Harve White

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I deleted the %LocalAppData%\DOSBox folder. No change. There is still no z prompt. Is there another program that would do the same job as DOSBox? My wife has tons of dos games that she now can not play. Would an earlier version of DOSBox work? What is your best solution to my (my wife's) problem? Again, thanks for your help.

Reply 12 of 29, by Harve White

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for trying to help me. Hopefully you can figure out why no z prompt appears.

Attachments

• DOSBox screenshot showing no z prompt.PNG
    Filename
    DOSBox screenshot showing no z prompt.PNG
    File size
    183.31 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    This shows the 2 screens that appear when I try to load DOSBox with no z prompt. It's a .png file.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Oh, you have nothing there. I‘d suggest edit the config and try different output settings.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 29, by Harve White

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Oh, you have nothing there. I‘d suggest edit the config and try different output settings.

Great. Are you talking about the DOSbox 0.74 Option.bat file? Please give me some sample output settings I can try. Please give them to me exactly so I can copy them as they should be to do the job. Is there another program that would do the same job (can be used to play dos games)? My wife is disappointed that she can't play the games she enjoy, especially since she was able to before without a problem. Would an older version of DOSBox be a solution?

Reply 15 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The issue is Windows, and the solution is to edit the config file, best through the startmenu shortcut.
When you read the config, all the options for output are listed

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 18 of 29, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Harve White wrote:

You say to edit the config file. Which config file to I edit? Thanks.

The one that is mentioned in the screenshot you posted.

Reply 19 of 29, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Open C:\Users\harve\AppData\Local\DOSBox\dosbox-0.74.conf in Notepad. Under the [sdl] section look for output= and try other valid values, surface , overlay , opengl , openglnb or ddraw.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers