VOGONS

Rarest CPUs?

Topic actions

First post, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just something interesting to think about- I know that the Cx5x86 120mhz is fairly rare, and that the Cx5x86 133mhz is far rarer (not sure if it made it out of the prototype stage) and the Intel TQ80486DX4100, which was a i486DX4-100 made for the military and one is known to exist. Any thoughts/ideas?

Reply 3 of 442, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about Nx686 ?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 442, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:

Is the withdrawn PIII-1.13 Coppermine rare, or did a lot of them stay out there in the wild?

i think they are extremely rare. they were supplied to oem only, so they were easily recalled without leaking, save for a few test samples given to media which they kept as evidence and denied to return.

Reply 7 of 442, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BeginnerGuy wrote:

AMD K5-200 remains at the top of my list 😒

k5-pr200 may be difficult for some people to obtain, but at least it did hit the market in some places, so its not going very high on the rank.

Reply 8 of 442, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Koltoroc wrote:
elianda wrote:

How about Nx686 ?

That is actually a really common CPU. It is also called the AMD K6. Nexgen was in the design process when AMD bought them.

I think that elianda probably meant Nx586. There never was a Nexgen 686 CPU.
Another CPU that comes to mind is the Cyrix 486DRu2 & 486DRx2 and also the TI486SXL2.

Reply 9 of 442, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually meant the Nx686: Unknown-1.jpeg

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 10 of 442, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:
I actually meant the Nx686: http://www.amd-k6.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Unknown-1.jpeg […]
Show full quote

I wasn't aware that this CPU was actually available. Always thought that this was just in the development stages when AMD acquired NexGen but, quite interesting.

Reply 11 of 442, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about Cyrix III with Joshua core?
Also Socket A Athlon Thunderbird built on OPGA package (instead of CPGA) is quite rare.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 12 of 442, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cyrix 486DRu2 & 486DRx2 and also the TI486SXL2.

DRx2 and SXL2 are uncommon, not rare.

The DRu2 might be rare though. It's actually not a CPU, but a kit that consists of a regular 486DLC and a clock doubling interposer that fits underneath.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 13 of 442, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
noshutdown wrote:
BeginnerGuy wrote:

AMD K5-200 remains at the top of my list 😒

k5-pr200 may be difficult for some people to obtain, but at least it did hit the market in some places, so its not going very high on the rank.

My line of thinking is ultra rare cpu that I'm sure exists. I'm not sure what would be the rarest cpu that someone, somewhere has that us mortals will never see.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 14 of 442, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote:
elianda wrote:
I actually meant the Nx686: http://www.amd-k6.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Unknown-1.jpeg […]
Show full quote

I wasn't aware that this CPU was actually available. Always thought that this was just in the development stages when AMD acquired NexGen but, quite interesting.

It was never produced. There may be a handful of engineering samples or mockups, not sure which, but they were never sold as the NX686.

Reply 15 of 442, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Super386 ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 18 of 442, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
harddrivespin wrote:

Well, this website: http://rarecpus.com/ is certainly useful by the looks of it.

Except that 90% of the rare CPUs listed there are engineering or qualification samples.

Youtube Channel