VOGONS

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many years ago, TeaRex (who seems to have left the forum since then) very generously gave me his complete Visual Studio build environment for DOSBox, and that got me started on my own project. (I could have used MinGW, but I didn't know that then.)

So, in the hope of helping other beginners, I've put together a complete build environment for current DOSBox SVN for Visual Studio 2015 (or Visual Studio 2017), here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfyeop3pkja51dk/DOS … -VS2015.7z?dl=1

All the paths in the configuration file are relative, so this should work on any system with Visual Studio 2015 or 2017 installed. Just expand the 7z archive and double-click on the CMD file in the top-level directory to open the project in Visual Studio. When you build, you may see irrelevant error messages, and you can run the executable from the visualc_net folder named DOSBox Binaries. If you right-click on the project in VS and choose Open Folder in File Explorer, that folder will be visible.

I've disabled modem, network, and screenshots in config.h, but you can easily re-enable them. I did not include debug code, because this is not designed for experts but for beginners like me (I've been a beginner for the past ten years, unfortunately).

This may also be useful for anyone who wants to move from VS2010 to VS2015 or later for working on DOSBox.

I figured out how to do all this by following this video and making a few very minor changes to the procedure it describes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REOV8_eXPpc

I changed things by using relative paths in the configuration, suppressing some warnings, changing some output options, and removing as many unneeded files as I could.

I hope someone finds this useful for getting started.

EDIT: I've now added source and a binary for Wengier Wu's dosbox-lfn branch, with the sources updated to conform to current SVN. For details see the third post below.

EDIT: Someone in another thread thought this requires Visual Studio 2015, so I've put "or VS 2017" in bold.

Last edited by emendelson on 2018-01-31, 13:10. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks! I'll be using this in the not too distant future.. hopefully.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 2, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've now updated this by adding a separate folder named "dosbox-lfn" that contains current SVN with Wengier Wu's dosbox-lfn mods carefully (I hope) integrated into the standard SVN code. For the most part, I was able to use Wengier's modified sources without change, but Wengier's sources are updated only through 26 September 2017, so I modified the code to incorporate SVN changes made since then. It seems to work correctly, but I can't be certain.

Same download link as in the first post. And if anyone wants to try out the Win32 binaries for dosbox and dosbox-lfn, here they are:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nj7sgzkcefy4rot/DOS … inaries.7z?dl=1