VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tanasen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've ordered an old Trust Predator joystick with gameport and I was wondering what games from the era 1996-2002 have the split-screen support in order to play 1 on 1 with a joystick and keyboard. I believe most racing games support that. Also what games support co-op? Expendable maybe?

PC1😜 III-S 1.4GHz, GA-6VTXE, 512MB SDRAM, Albatron FX5900XTV 128MB, SB Live! 5.1
PC2😜 III 800MHz, MS-6178, 256MB SDRAM, 3DFX Voodoo3 2000 PCI, Creative CT4810
PC3😜 MMX 200MHz, SY-5EAS5, 128MB SDRAM, Diamond Monster 3D, Diamond Viper V330, ESS 1868F

Reply 1 of 8, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tanasen wrote:

I was wondering what games from the era 1996-2002 have the split-screen support in order to play 1 on 1 with a joystick and keyboard. I believe most racing games support that.

NFS2 was so much fun to us in those days in college.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 2 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tyrian's got a 2 player coop mode (one on keyboard, the other on mouse, and the ships are special and can fuse together)

Doom Legacy is probably the only Doom source port that's available for dos while supporting split screen play. It's a very rough and outdated source port though

Jazz Jackrabbit 2's also split-screen capable. Hunter Hunted as well.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 8, by tanasen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Tyrian's got a 2 player coop mode (one on keyboard, the other on mouse, and the ships are special and can fuse together)

Doom Legacy is probably the only Doom source port that's available for dos while supporting split screen play. It's a very rough and outdated source port though

Jazz Jackrabbit 2's also split-screen capable. Hunter Hunted as well.

Thanks, I'll check. Tyrian looks a lot like Raptor

PC1😜 III-S 1.4GHz, GA-6VTXE, 512MB SDRAM, Albatron FX5900XTV 128MB, SB Live! 5.1
PC3😜 MMX 200MHz, SY-5EAS5, 128MB SDRAM, Diamond Monster 3D, Diamond Viper V330, ESS 1868F

Reply 5 of 8, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

It's a very rough and outdated source port though

I don't think it was that rough, have you tried SSZDoom? That one is really rough.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 6 of 8, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This page may be of interest:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of … ltiplayer_Games

Project aim […]
Show full quote

Project aim

Offer a complete list of PC games which support multiplayer gameplay on a single device.

Instructions

For the purpose of this page, local multiplayer does not refer to LAN Play. Games which only support LAN Play multiplayer (multi-device over a single internet connection) are not to be included. This is to be reserved only for single-device multiplayer.
This list is generated automatically. To add or update entries simply edit the individual pages.

Discussion

Discuss the project on the Talk page.

Key terms

Local multiplayer: Local multiplayer can refer to both single-device and LAN multiplayer. However, for the purpose of this list it will only be used to refer to games which can be played by multiple users on a singular device, albeit potentially with multiple controller devices.
Couch multiplayer: Couch multiplayer is synonymous with local multiplayer. It does not includes LAN play, as that requires multiple PCs. "Couch" multiplayer refers to the common situation of friends or family members playing a multiplayer game on a TV while sitting on a couch.
Couch co-op: A commonly-used term that refers to couch multiplayer games in which multiple local users work together, couch multiplayer includes this as well as any "versus" games.
Hot Seat: Also known as "Pass and Play", this refers to games which only support a single input device which is passed around amongst multiple players.
Co-op and Versus: Co-op, or cooperative, refers to a game in which players collaborate and work together. While you are able to, in some co-op games, kill or hurt the other player, the main goal is to work together. Versus refers to a game which is competitive, this includes Team Versus which can be considered both cooperative and versus.

Reply 7 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are also good candidates from the early 90s - Lotus: The Ultimate Challenge, fighting games like Mortal Kombat series, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Wrestlemania (the latter has a nice co-op mode as well), beat-em-ups like Golden Axe.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 8, by tanasen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
akula65 wrote:

Hey thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I managed to play with a buddy a few days back NFS Hot Pursuit and Moto Racer 2 on split screen (and felt like a child again cause we used a single keyboard). Glad to see Expendable and Incoming on that list cause I have them pre-installed in both of my systems. I'll also install Mortal Combat 4. Tommorow I'm finally getting my new-old joystick so it's about time for some real one on one gaming experience from now on...