VOGONS

First post, by dpl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I came across a stack of original IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM drives from an old storage location because I needed a couple of spare ones for retro PC's and could not find them online selling new anywhere and prefer the those with an original IDE interface over an IDE-SATA adapter.

Now I have a rather large number of drives (100+ 😊 ) and I don't intend to keep all of them (because of the space they claim and I really don't need that many on hand), so I'm looking for anyone who's interested in having some of them.

I've come to understand that they have never been used, most of them were boxed up (for over 15 years) and were at the time either brand-new or have been swapped out from brand-new computers for a different model and then got shelved. They're in good condition although some have developed a little bit of corrosion on the outside (which is understandable given the fact that these were stored in bulk in a carton box and only styrofoam) but nothing really bad.

The brands/models that I have are the following:

SAMSUNG CD-Master 48E
LITE-ON LTN-483L
MITSUMI CRMC-FX4830T

So if you are interested let me know.

Reply 2 of 12, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got a couple of NOS Creative IDE drives from the mid-1990s some time ago, and was well pleased. I installed them in my two main computers, except that they both failed after just one or two years of use. Are Creative drives just not very durable?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember Creative optical drives being unreliable.

Personally, I prefer to use newer optical drives (say, at least 2006) because of quietness, speed and reliability. The only thing I don't like is it's nearly impossible to find a newer IDE optical drive with a beige face. Sometimes I make that compromise (black face in beige case), though it's not ideal. I'm a function over form kinda guy.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 12, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

I got a couple of NOS Creative IDE drives from the mid-1990s some time ago, and was well pleased. I installed them in my two main computers, except that they both failed after just one or two years of use. Are Creative drives just not very durable?

Creative optical drives are usually rebadges of other firms'. The earlier ones were mostly Matsushita/Panasonic, and the later ones (past 32X speed) were apparently from BTC. Supposedly the BTC ones have reliability problems.

One can usually tell the OEM by checking the label or the "style" of the front panel. Matsushita drives all tend to share the same design of front panel, for example, which Creative simply added its logos to.

Reply 5 of 12, by dpl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the late reply, all.. Wasn't actually looking to trade (or at least in the sense of making a profit here). Just having spare ones lying around now which too me is a bit of a waste, knowing that there'll be folk here to be found that would be happy to get replacement ones. I've actually did put them on an eBay site too, but that's an entirely different kind of crowd.

They're beige by the way. 😉

But I'll happily post them onto AmiBay, just wanted to 'measure' the interest here first and wasn't sure if I was allowed to post it or not. Like I said, not looking to make a profit.

Personally I think I like the SAMSUNG ones from this batch the best. Nice and sturdy built, reliable and not at all that noisy.

I'll head over to AmiBay now and make the same announcement. Perhaps will see you there.

PS. I'm not getting proper notifications to PM's or changes to threads, not sure why... so if I respond a little slow, it's because I don't visit the site on a very regular basis (just as time permits).

Reply 6 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They are all 48x speed drives, correct? In this case, they are completely useless for retro PCs. If the system can not handle the constant 7.2 mb/sec. coming from the drive, the disc will spin up and down continually, which will kill the drive quite fast and give performance way behind a native 4x or 8x drive.

ps: you can not sell them here either, no matter if you make profit or not.

Reply 7 of 12, by dpl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's an interesting perspective. I've never had a problem with a fast CD-ROM drive dying on me due to continually spinning up an down. I guess it also depends on the brand/model.
How are they useless for retro PC's? I mean, Windows game PC's can be considered retro too and that's the era from which these drives are (2000-2002). Even old DOS machines will handle 7.2 MB/sec throughput just fine.

Anyhow, I have created the AmiBay thread like I said I would and made like 10 people very happy with them all across Europe...

Reply 8 of 12, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

Are Creative drives just not very durable?

Phone agent: "And what model number 8x IDE CD-ROM drive do you have?"
Customer: "GCD-R580B"
Phone agent: "Ok, let's look at your CONFIG.SYS..."

/next call
Phone agent: "And what model number 8x IDE CD-ROM drive do you have?"
Customer: "CD-820E"
Phone agent: "Ok, your RMA number is..."

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 9 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dpl wrote:

Even old DOS machines will handle 7.2 MB/sec throughput just fine.

No, since you normally have no drivers for DMA mode under DOS and without multitasking either, you'll get heavy load on the CPU with too-fast drives.

Reply 10 of 12, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

They are all 48x speed drives, correct? In this case, they are completely useless for retro PCs. If the system can not handle the constant 7.2 mb/sec. coming from the drive, the disc will spin up and down continually, which will kill the drive quite fast and give performance way behind a native 4x or 8x drive.

That's why you should slow down such drives through software. For DOS you can use CDBeQuiet!. For Windows 9x there are several tools AFAIK.

Reply 12 of 12, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:

That's why you should slow down such drives through software. For DOS you can use CDBeQuiet!. For Windows 9x there are several tools AFAIK.

CDBremse (German for "CD Brake") is a very useful tool:
http://ulrichhanke.de/16/CDBremse.html

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"