VOGONS

First post, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

May be the wrong part of Vogons this post is in.

Anyone here know of emulators for other machines you can run on Windows 95 other than NESticle? (I'm not talking about Windows 95 emulators, I am talking about emulators **that** **run** **on** Windows 95)

Reply 1 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty much everything until around 2003+ at least. Your usual exceptions are Unicode-wanting stuff, DX8/9-wanting stuff, and all those 6th gen-and-later emulators (PCSX2, Dolphin etc) that demand a few CPU extensions and some threading at least.

Last edited by leileilol on 2017-12-21, 12:03. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 9, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back in the day I remember installing Nesticle, Genecyst, NO$GMB, and an early version of MAME on Win95 machines, but those were all DOS based and would run just as well without Win95. I can't remember using any native Windows emulators back then. I'm sure they were out there, but they weren't an option for the under powered machines I was playing with - playing Pokemon Red in NO$GMB on a 386DX40 for example. I also played with emulators for various 8 bit home computers such as the ZX spectrum, Amstrad CPC and TRS-80, but again these were all DOS based emulators running inside Win95 or Win98.

Reply 4 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
harddrivespin wrote:

Anyone here know of emulators for other machines you can run on Windows 95 other than NESticle?

I don't know much about Win95, but I know there were a few which ran on 3.1..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox

I want to say I ran old vers of pcem on NT4 but I could be thinking of something else.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 9, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually dabbled a bit with Emulators with my Windows 98 build, as I used to run NES, SNES, Genesis, and other old emulators just fine back in 1999, but now-a-days it's hella hard to find one that even works in Windows 9x much less smoothly. I dug backwards and found an older Nesticle (DOS) for NES, a really old version of ZSNES (DOS) for SNES, but that's it so far. I'm pleased they seem to run smoothly on my 600MHz Pentium III. I remember them playing perfectly fine with my original 350MHz Pentium II.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 7 of 9, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep. NESticle, ZSNES and Genecyst are a really good start. Even these old 16-bit emulators might not run fantastically on a Win95 era CPU, though. I remember running into some limitations on a P200.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 9, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

10+ years ago, I found that Project 64 ran at full speed on a Pentium 4 2.4GHz desktop system running Windows 98SE. I think that's way out of the spec of this thread though. This inspires me to try some older emulators on my AMD K6-2 desktop system.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 9 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VisualBoyAdvance, ZNES and MEKA ran on Win9x the last time I tried..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//