VOGONS

First post, by fluxrez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a 486 Unisys computer. I grabbed a Sound Blaster 16 on ebay (CT4170). I installed the creative labs PnP manager. I installed the sound blaster drivers. Everything seems to work perfectly. No errors. Games detect the everything fine and tell me everything is good, but no sound is coming out of the speakers. I took the audio cable out of the sound card and plugged it into my phone to make sure the wires and speaker setup were fine. The mixer software didnt show anything muted. There are no volume controls that I could find. No weird jumpers.

Does anyone have any ideas? Not sure what else to try. It might just be a bad card.

Reply 1 of 22, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, is the audio missing for both FM and samples (sound effects) ?
AdLib (FM) is sometimes not enabled by that PnP utility.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 22, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 22, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the drivers should create a directory called SB16.
in here is a program called mixerset.exe that controls the volume.
You could also try the line out rather the speaker out.

Or install WIn95 as a test if you don't want to mess round with dos drivers at first.

Reply 6 of 22, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using the correct output port? How does the card look near its outputs? No funny looking stuff?

"I will take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it "My Screaming Chair". Every morning I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"

Reply 7 of 22, by fluxrez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah ports look normal. Well labeled. I tried all the ports. I dont have a cd-rom drive on this. I am just going to be running DOS.

Mixer program looks fine. Nothing muted.

Again, games say everything is detected fine...

I did run "diagnose.exe" from the SB16 folder. It gave an error: "Failure setting Low DMA CHannel at 1"

Reply 8 of 22, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fluxrez wrote:

I did run "diagnose.exe" from the SB16 folder. It gave an error: "Failure setting Low DMA CHannel at 1"

What does CTCM report for the sound card's resources used upon execution?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 10 of 22, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem, I think, is the H1, which is the high DMA channel: it's identical to the low DMA channel, which cannot be.

"I will take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it "My Screaming Chair". Every morning I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"

Reply 11 of 22, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's your issue. Check to see if there are any ports using DMA 1 (Parallel port might use that if the port is set to ECP/EPP mode) by going into the CTCU program (CTCU.EXE), go to the resources by going to the menu and click the first option, and it'll say what conflict there are.

Also, use the MSD program (Microsoft Diagnostics) to check for conflicts and which ports are using DMA 1.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12 of 22, by fluxrez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting. So I went into CTCU.exe. It said no conflicts. When I hit the "test" button though it tested DMA 1 and 3. instead of 1 twice. Saved out and rebooted.

It changed the BLASTER environment to: BLASTER environment is set at: A220 I5 D1 H3 P330 T6

I ran the DIAGNOSE.exe and still "Failure setting low DMA CHannel at 1"

Ran doom sound setup, ran doom, no errors, but no sound.

Plugged it into my phone again to be sure speaker setup is good.

Darn, thought we had something there

also, just so you guys feel the pain, I ordered a second cheapo card... a CT2770... it is about 1 CM too long to fit in this case. =(

Reply 13 of 22, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Check your BIOS, maybe you can reserve the DMA channel for it.

Reply 15 of 22, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not being able to set a high DMA is actually normal for a ct4170.
Here's one site that mentions it.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Sound-HOWTO.html#AEN882

I used to have one of those ct4170 cards that I used in Windows 95 and 98.
Not having high DMA didn't affect sound in Windows or DOS.
I may not have played any DOS games that required high a DMA.

In order to get sound in DOS mode, I had to put this line at the very beginning of my autoexec.bat

C:\WINDOWS\CTCM.EXE /t /b /p

Keep in mind this was on a Windows 95 computer and CTCM would be in a different folder in DOS 6.22.
But I think adding that line (pointing to wherever CTCM is located on your computer) is worth a try.

Putting this CTCM /t /b /p line at the beginning of the autoexec.bat was the suggestion of a Creative tech back around 1999 or 2000, when Creative newsgroups were still active. I don't remember the explanation of why it worked, but it made the difference between no sound at all in DOS and all sounds in DOS with my ct4170.

Reply 16 of 22, by fluxrez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
skitters wrote:

C:\WINDOWS\CTCM.EXE /t /b /p

Unfortunately, that didn't help me. No changes.

I did however manage to get another sound card in there. Sound effects work fine now. But for some reason, it isn't playing music. The synthesized music test in the "diagnose" program doesnt work either.

No errors again, just no sound =/ I'll do some lurking and troubleshooting and start a new thread if it comes to that.

Thank you for all your help.

Reply 18 of 22, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

are we talking about These small CWD models? I do not get any! soundcard working on that thing!
It has to do with the onboard-lan that I really need. It would be the best Little machine if I get Sound and Lan working on it.

Pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/al … 157683681646872
Problems: Unisys CWD-4002

Greetings
Doc

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2017-12-21, 16:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines