VOGONS

Unisys CWD-4002

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 36, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, coincidentally I am also using a CT4170 in my CWD-4001, however for me there were no problems whatsoever... it all just worked. First obvious question would be if you could test it out in another computer to verify that it does indeed work. Also you may want to be sure the ISA slot is cleaned out (maybe there's some dirt or a hair or something lodged in there? You never know!).

To install it, I used the CTCM and SBBASIC installers from this post. Within that zip file, I installed the stuff in CTCMBBS first, and then SBBASIC. I didn't change any of the settings during either installer, just accepted all of the defaults (I also do not have Windows installed on my CWD-4001, just MS-DOS 6.22).

My AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS are quite customized, but here are the relevant bits for audio that I have which works perfectly for me:

CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE

AUTOEXEC.BAT:

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H1 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q

These are settings which the installers added itself, I didn't really change anything since it all worked fine.
EDIT: I guess the other thing I should mention is that all of the above settings I listed are at the bottom of each file.

I've not tried any other sound cards, in my CWD-4001 (none of the other ones I have will fit, with the exception of a Vibra 16C that used to be in my Dell PC).

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 21 of 36, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have tested 5 soundcards. none worked. CT1350 8Bit jumpered correctly...setblast says "no sb-found". Diagnose for the CT4170 says "no adress available" (210-280)!
There is nothing at 210-280. The machine has a failure...I think. CTCU should find the PNP card after loading ctcm via config.sys, but it finds no pnp-card, no other
devices but some on-board-devices that are not conflicting with my soundcard. I have absolutely no idea what the failure is.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 23 of 36, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try using the MSD program (Microsoft Diagnostics) to check and see which device is using Port 220h (there should be an option in the BIOS to disable the on-board sound card (if there is one)).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25 of 36, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked it from the shell. Put an ESS card in it, installed the PNP manager from intel and everything works fine 😀
I spend hours before and it NEVER worked. I did not expect the PNP manager to be needed, but without it,
no soundcard is recognized in that thing. It's pure coincidence that I checked out the PNP manager from
intel. What a great program!

Now I can go on and use that damn thing... OS/2, MSDOS, Win1x-2x-3x, NT 3.51 here I come 😀

Reply 28 of 36, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am changeing from DX2/66 to DX4/100 first. Any advices for the cooling?
I think the DX4/100 should have less TDP then the DX2/66, or am I wrong here?

Reply 29 of 36, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My machine can not be upgraded to dx4/100 because there is no 3,3volt regulator, so I will stick to the DX2/66 5Volt which is pretty fast 😀
Has anyone here made a fan replacement in the power supply. I think I will have to do this, because mine is relativly noisy.

Perhaps someone has an advice for a good fan replacement.

My soundcard ESS1688F is quite good, but it seems that some stuff which uses the sb-pro emulation is not so clear as playing it on a ESS-Solo1
and some Adlib tunes do not sound as good as I remembered them back in the day. (e.g. Dynablaster/LostVikings)

I am currently plaing to go for an aztech 824 like this one. Is it a good choice? What do You think?

Thx
Doc

Attachments

• Aztech.jpg
    Filename
    Aztech.jpg
    File size
    105.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 31 of 36, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ended up with an ESS card.

But I have another problem with my two 2GB CF cards.
I randomly get write errors all the time.
I think I 'll have to change to a HDD.

Doc

Reply 33 of 36, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man this sounds like my experience with the Pentium version (CWD-5001) of that machine. It takes some acrobatics to get everything you need shoe-horned into it, then it seems like every time I almost get it running the way I want it, something else is wrong with it. Ugh. Not unlike pets, it's cute but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

Reply 34 of 36, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ESS1688F randomly losses it's settings. It very hard to get the card working again.
If the settings are lost, then no other card is working in that ISA slot (Sound or VGA).
If I tell the system to add a generic SB card via intel pnp-m,anager 1.43, then the
ESS card is detected, but settings are wrong I11 A240 etc. If I delete the genereic SB card
in the PNP Manager, then I can confugire the ESS1688F correctly to A220 I5 D0,1 etc.

Though the machine has no real pnp-bios, without the pnp-manger nothing is working in
that damn isa-slot. I am relatively sure that the onboard-lan causes this, but I must
have it. It's also not directly found by the pnp-tool "cassist", I have to set in manually.

I like that small case and I like that 486...but I am thinking about the 586 model cwd 5xxx.
It so expensive when shipping from the US.

After I spend Days to get the ESS-Card working again, I will do a second attempt to get
the AZTEC running. I think I must have the OPL2 from Ymh and SBpro in stereo is also
a must have combined with a bugfree mpu401i.

We will see.

Reply 35 of 36, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will take out the aztec-soundcard, because I have two main issues with that:

1. Bad speech samples on "BodyBlows" (speech muffy and not clear)
2. No sound/music in JimPower

I will not modify the case, so my SBpro CT1600 can not fit here. I think I will end up with CT1350 with CMS-Chips.

What do you think?
Thx Doc

PS: Hopfully I will not run in these DMA/IRQ Problems that I ran in before...

Reply 36 of 36, by uridium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know what resistor packs to put at the front? It has 3 rows. Ideally I'd love to fit a 3.3 or 3.45v CPU in mine.

I've been looking for a manual for either.

Thanks in advance 😀