VOGONS

Reply 20 of 33, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

I use a GTX 750Ti and couldn't be happier. Cool, quiet, more than fast enough for anything XP is capable of playing, and no compatibility issues so far.

edit: the system this is in uses a Core2 Quad 2.67Ghz. I've played everything from RtCW to Crysis. No issues.

Would the 750Ti work with XP SP2/directX9? Currently have a GF 7950GT with a Duo Core 2 3ghz and it struggles in Crysis, maybe the 750Ti would help it out some I don't know.

I don't know if the relatively modern GF drivers will work under SP2 or not (I believe the earliest drivers that work with the 750Ti are in the 340's). You'd just have to try, or find someone who can try for you. But I agree with Bobolaf--comparing those two cards is like comparing night and day. I went from an 8800GTX to the 750Ti and in some cases it was like 2x the performance. So going from a 7950GT should yield even bigger gains.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 21 of 33, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got my GT 730 installed, upgraded from Radeon HD5450. It's a little beast. I ran some benchmarks and compared scores with some old forum posts from a decade or so ago - this tiny passively cooled 30W card outperforms old SLI monster systems. Which is nice.

Reply 22 of 33, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WildW wrote:

I got my GT 730 installed, upgraded from Radeon HD5450. It's a little beast. I ran some benchmarks and compared scores with some old forum posts from a decade or so ago - this tiny passively cooled 30W card outperforms old SLI monster systems. Which is nice.

Nice! Any chance you have borderlands (2009) and can test that? I still haven't decided on the 750 Ti just because it's a bit more expensive than I thought. My monitor is 1600x1200 but 1280x1024 should be fine. That game is about the top of what I hope to play on my Dell.

By the way I just got a Q8400 core 2 quad 2.66ghz from a US based ebay seller for $7 total (inc shipping) to put in mine. There seem to be many sellers with hundreds of them to sell suddenly. I wasn't really planning on upgrading but for that price who could resist. Not sure how much they cost near you.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 23 of 33, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@BeginnerGuy - what prices are you seeing for the 750Ti? I thought they were going for about $60 used on ebay. Is that what you're seeing?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 24 of 33, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Nice! Any chance you have borderlands (2009) and can test that?

I have played Borderlands with maximum details on 1680x1050 with that card and it's never dropping frames. I imagine it can even go higher, but I don't have a better monitor.

The GT730 is more than suitable for that game.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 25 of 33, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

@BeginnerGuy - what prices are you seeing for the 750Ti? I thought they were going for about $60 used on ebay. Is that what you're seeing?

60-75 is about right unless you're willing to try out one of those chinese models (and wait over a month to get it). Not that it's super expensive per se, just that it's a bit above what I want to put into this dell. PC was free, $7 for the Q8400.. Just looking for a chump change rig.

schmatzler wrote:
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Nice! Any chance you have borderlands (2009) and can test that?

I have played Borderlands with maximum details on 1680x1050 with that card and it's never dropping frames. I imagine it can even go higher, but I don't have a better monitor.

The GT730 is more than suitable for that game.

Amazing for the amount of power it uses.. shoot.. Can it run borderlands 2? 😊

Reply 26 of 33, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The GT730 GDDR5 is a really neat little card, for sure! I bought a few 2GB GDDR5 models for like $25 each on EVGA's B-Stock outlet a while back. They make excellent cards to drop into computers for people who occasionally play games but aren't obsessed about graphics fidelity, or for people who mostly play older or less intensive games. The next step up which is also a really nice card to look for is the GT 740 GDDR5 (or GTX 650 non-Ti). Significantly faster and still decent on power consumption. Obviously the 750 Ti is one of the best cards to look for, but the prices hover so close to newer cards it makes them harder to recommend. If power is less of a concern, the GTX 6xx series are also excellent cards to look for and perform quite well for their age... and Kepler is still far more efficient than anything before it.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 27 of 33, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Gtx280 is a faster card overall and cheaper on ebay, I'd rather go for that.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-G … 0/m8413vsm12582

Reply 28 of 33, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't buy a new GT730 anymore, with its successor - the GT1030 - being out for a while now.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 30 of 33, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HD 5870/5850 ?
HD 5750/5770/6770/6750 ?
GTX 760/660 ?
GTX 650 Ti Boost ?
GTS 450 ?
You got so many options for XP...
I recommend going for low end stuff (x4x/x3x/x4xx/x3xx or lower), only if you are space (Low Profile) or power constrained (75W max).

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2017-12-22, 20:30. Edited 1 time in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 31 of 33, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote:

The Gtx280 is a faster card overall and cheaper on ebay, I'd rather go for that.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-G … 0/m8413vsm12582

Problem with this the exponential increase in power draw. OP is using cards that use < 75 watts right out of the pci-e port. If I recall the gtx280 requires a pci-e 6 AND 8 pin and has a TDP of nearly 250W. At least in my case, the power supply in my little dell studio will go off like a nuke 🤣

Reply 32 of 33, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They way I see it is to not be too picky as there are so many interesting cards to play with just like with 9x instead of oh you must has this or has that to be cool for XP gaming. Personally had two GTX 280s in sli at one point and they are nice cards but really XP doesn't need much to be enjoyable. Long ago was doing a big part of my XP with a meager River TNT and a 500mhz P3 because I was so poor 🤣.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 33 of 33, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My original Windows 98 computer from 1999 ran a Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB AGP (2x) card for years. It uses the Intel i740 graphics chip that people like to hate on in these forums.

When I upgraded to a better computer, I got an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Palomino, 256MB of RAM, and an ATI Radeon 7500 64MB AGP (4x) card. I put Windows XP (first edition) on it and it played games fine for a few years before the 7500 simply wasn't able to keep up. I was stupid/cheap and replaced it with a 9550xl (a desktop - i.e. non-gaming card). I thought it would be better because the number was so much higher. /facepalm

My Windows XP laptop is running a GeForce Go 7800 GTX 256MB PCI-Express card and it still games strong to this day. I recently took the heatsinks off and replaced all the TIM in there with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I hope that'll keep the laptop running cool and powerful for a bunch more years. I didn't see any of the new GTX ??? series until I built a Windows 7 gaming rig in 2010 with a pair of GTX 480s. Yes, they run quite hot, but I'm about to do a rebuild of the system using liquid cooling. I already bought a pair of matching FC-480 waterblocks by EK for a steal on E-bay. Now I just have to cough up the dough for EK's P360 kit (around $400).

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png