VOGONS

First post, by IAmJefferson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been looking for a version of QEMU that is stable with Windows 95/98/98SE (mainly for DOS games and software rendered 3D games). I tried running the latest compiled Windows binary, but when I installed Windows 98 and after it pasts through the "Getting ready to run Windows for the first time" screen, it shows the BSOD error. The same thing also happened when I tried to install it on QEMU Manager (a GUI for QEMU running on an older version), but instead of the BSOD, it ran into black screen and it crashed.

The emulated CPU that I tried on QEMU was an Intel Pentium. I haven't tried running it on QEMU's own emulated CPU yet (QEMU32). Maybe it gave a BSOD because of the emulated processor or maybe because stability issues?

Last edited by IAmJefferson on 2017-12-22, 23:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, good evening 😀
What hardware do you have Windows 98 running on ?
Did you try running KernelEx already ?

Also, have a look at http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Windows_versions.
It says that 98 supports MMX and SSE. SSE2 and SSE3 aren't mentioned, however.
In theory, programs using them on an unsupported OS could crash a machine.

As for Win98, I'm not sure if that's the case.
I stopped using it after we had got no period-correct hardware anymore (up to Pentium III, that is).

Edit: Also interesting: http://www.sysopt.com/showthread.php?100323-SSE-and-Windows

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to run qemu on 9x then that can be done but you'll need to use an older version of qemu.

You can also run 9x inside qemu but for gaming you're better off with pcem. If you don't want to use pcem for whatever reason then you're better off with vmware player or workstation unless you're really hardcore about open source and must use qemu for whatever reason.

If you insist on qemu then post the command line that you use to launch it, qemu version, Windows 9x ver and if it's a legit uncorrupted copy.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline