Rank
Oldbie

I totally forgot about these:

wjfkoFml.jpg

Some instructions were also in the box:

dwXSqFkl.jpg

I'm not sure what these are, but they were on top of the OS/2 diskettes:

BiRopUtl.jpg

Now I really want to open the OS/2 disks and load them up on a 386 or 486! I'm also tempted to pull the foil off this and try it out:

ZoPS5a7l.jpg

Merry Christmas to me, I guess!

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 1 of 4, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Clipper was primarily used for database development ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipper_( ... _language) )

As for System Commander, well I have the exact same version and it works just fine. Used it to tri boot one of my boxes (DOS, XP and Linux) and never had any problems with it. You will have to create working copies of the disks though as it writes data to the disks (backup of config files and partition table I think) during installation. The manual is nice and you get leaflets with step by step instructions for the various OS installations you can do.

Reply 2 of 4, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the read!

That's probably a haul from when my old IT job I had had me put boxes of obsolete software to the curb. I grabbed boxes of diskettes, and sometimes, even sealed Windows license agreements (from DOS5 to Win 3.1) - They had no issue giving those to me 😉 I even got something like 10 ZIP100 diskettes and a few internal drives.

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bit of a Christmas present to yourself!
I've done it with hardware as well, classic was actually buying a AWE32 off ebay only to find I had a SB32 and AWE64 in storage!
I've always grabbed disks been thrown out just to use as blank floppies. I can never bring myself to format Microsoft disks though. I'm starting to collect the volume licence CD's now.

Reply 4 of 4, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the reason I made a complete inventory of parts (no matter how small) for my old PC's - just before I hit "buy" on an auction site, I double check.

Just recently I bought 11 ISA cards for about $10 from a Polish site, pretty much for one card in there that is worth around that amount (to me anyhow) with a couple more interesting ones. There's a couple modems, those are going right in the junk pile. The rest of the cards (a lot of 8 bit I/O and 16 bit IDE/FDC controllers, as well as full 16 bit I/O cards) are selling for $5-$15 on eBay, so yeah, up they'll go once I test them out.

About the MS disks - I went through my floppy inventory recently (actually it's an ongoing thing, prepping for GOTEK archiving) and I did find quite a few bad-sector damaged MS disks (Windows 3.1 and DOS mostly) which I think I will use as coasters. I can't bring myself to throw them out!